SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, my '98 V70R finally gave up the ghost (blown transmission at 182K hard miles).

So I need a new car basically TODAY, I was planning on buying a lightly used XC40 just off carebyvolvo next year but now I don't have time to wait.....so looking at new XC40s

What I'm curious is....will resale value tank when all the CBV used cars flood the market next year? Then add in the electric XC40 but I think that'll cost so much more it shouldn't change the value of the current ones much.

I'm looking at a pretty decked out momentum locally, T5 AWD with every major package, Red/White, current asking is $44,732, Of course being on the lot and near the end of season i'd try to get them down, or at least to throw in a free polestar tune.

Thoughts? Would buying one literally today off the lot be a bad idea for any reason? Financially i'm fine buying a car in the mid 40K range, can put over half-down and then APR is super low these days.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Long story short, my '98 V70R finally gave up the ghost (blown transmission at 182K hard miles).

So I need a new car basically TODAY, I was planning on buying a lightly used XC40 just off carebyvolvo next year but now I don't have time to wait.....so looking at new XC40s

What I'm curious is....will resale value tank when all the CBV used cars flood the market next year? Then add in the electric XC40 but I think that'll cost so much more it shouldn't change the value of the current ones much.

I'm looking at a pretty decked out momentum locally, T5 AWD with every major package, Red/White, current asking is $44,732, Of course being on the lot and near the end of season i'd try to get them down, or at least to throw in a free polestar tune.

Thoughts? Would buying one literally today off the lot be a bad idea for any reason? Financially i'm fine buying a car in the mid 40K range, can put over half-down and then APR is super low these days.
I sometimes think that we car buyers overthink the situation, I'm guilty for sure. If you found a car you like and you have to make a puchase because of your other car then do it. There should be a lot of room in that price given its end of month and end of model year. Good luck!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I agree to not overthink. I recently needed a car quickly, and picked up a 2020 XC40 RDesign off the lot. I have been very happy with it. At the end of the day, as I usually keep a Volvo in the family for around 10 years, an extra $500 is not a big deal.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Asking 44,732$, and what is MSRP on this set ? That will tell you how desperate dealer is - is he more desperate than you ?
Good luck.

/ksywa

·
Registered
14,016 Posts
I would think you'd be able to get a fair amount off if this is a 2019 car, otherwise I'd just look for a 2020.

·
Registered
17,449 Posts
Stick it out with a temp fun car, as I posted in the other thread. 6 grand will buy you a decent Miata with under a 100K. Get one with a hard top and then you're a 12 month driver. Then you can have it as a weekend car after the XCEV arrives!
I'd go as new (EV if you can hold out) as you can afford, and I'd be willing to bet the value will tank on any of 'em so it doesn't matter if you're plan is keeping it for the long haul.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm not the one to ask. I just bought a 2015.5 XC60 from our Volvo dealer to replace the 2013 XC60 my daughter was driving before she totaled it. :(

We didn't have an immediate need since she's at college now, but the price and feature set was too good to pass up. It had the safety options I wanted (BLIS), only 53K miles and was Certified with another 9 months on the warranty. And it was only $18K - plus they agreed to pick up the cost of the 60K service (which is over $500).

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
I would like to lease a car (a cheap one) for 2 or 3 years while I am waiting for the new model or ideal CPO car that I want to buy and keep for 10+ years.

If you buy a car and after 3 or 5 years want to change it, it will be more costly as you pay for the most depreciated years.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I'm seeing 2019 XC40 RDs in the 44k range (after a $3k discount) - isn't a momentum a step down, therefore not as good of a deal at that price? Why not look for the RD?

·
Registered
440 Posts
For a 2019, I would aim for $3-4,000 off sticker price or more. The 2020s are already on the lots. You keep cars for a long time so the year is not as important as getting a great price - assuming you will keep it like your other Volvo.

I also wouldn’t worry about depreciation as much since you are buying it and not leasing it. Assuming you keep it for a long time. Leasing is just financing the first three years of depreciation and then you turn it in and do it again so very heavy depreciation will show up there.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
What I'm curious is....will resale value tank when all the CBV used cars flood the market next year?
They didn't have enough cars to sell last year, CBV won't be a big resale factor. If you keep your car into old age, resale value also doesn't really matter at all.

I'm seeing 2019 XC40 RDs in the 44k range (after a $3k discount) - isn't a momentum a step down, therefore not as good of a deal at that price? Why not look for the RD?
All the XC40s price out very close when comparably equipped. It's rather hard to find an R design in many markets.

The 2019 models got "punched" in July I believe. The warranty is already ticking. The $3k money should certainly be on the table, but there is no loyalty cash ($1000)... so IMO you should just find a 2020 and work on that if resale value is a concern. You get the plastic windshield clip too!

·
Registered
151 Posts
You might get the plastic windshield clip on a 2020, but you loose the electric folding seats.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well after a long day at 2 dealerships I went a different direction and got a new 2019 S60 T6 Inscription + advanced package for really not much more than i'd have spent on a decked out XC40. I pick it up Saturday (hopefully). Decided I just didn't need the utility aspect right now and the S60 is a whoooole lot more car for the money, sucker is quick and ohhh so comfy.

Test drove the XC40, XC60 and the S60 and came to the following conclusion

The XC40 is only worth it at the low-specs. At high-spec you may as well just buy an XC60! The XC60 really isn't that much bigger, just a bit longer. I was actually surprised how big the XC40 was, far bigger than I was expecting.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Between the awesome deals on the S60s and the fact that sedans are cooler (it's science, don't fight it) than SUVs you made a good choice, and you will absolutely love the S60.

·
Registered
17,449 Posts
...and wagons are even better.
Avboden - now you'll need to post a picture or it's a Camry. Hopefully you get to snap one last picture of the VR, and maybe even beside the new ride.
Congrats!
Between the awesome deals on the S60s and the fact that sedans are cooler (it's science, don't fight it) than SUVs you made a good choice, and you will absolutely love the S60.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Wagons are the best, but the deals on the S60 are strong enough I'd probably pick one up over a wagon currently. I quoted a VOCA member on an R design yesterday over $12k off MSRP. And this is in PA where we don't do any funny business with hiding destination fees etc.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Wagons are the best, but the deals on the S60 are strong enough I'd probably pick one up over a wagon currently. I quoted a VOCA member on an R design yesterday over $12k off MSRP. And this is in PA where we don't do any funny business with hiding destination fees etc.
$12k?! Best I've seen is around $10k here in the Northeast. How much more off does one get for being a VCOA member? Is this something all dealers honor? Want to sell to someone in NH :)

·
Registered
14,016 Posts
Congrats Avoden - that's a lot of car.

You just moved up by three generations - P80->P2->P3->SPA, must be quite the contrast!

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
$12k?! Best I've seen is around $10k here in the Northeast. How much more off does one get for being a VCOA member? Is this something all dealers honor? Want to sell to someone in NH :)
Heck yeah I do. I just sent out a quote to Maine this morning. Shipping a car to Florida next month.

VCOA gets you A plan, which is invoice price minus rebates. A plan has a special rebate added of $1500 for the 2019 S60s. In addition the customer owns a Volvo so they got $1000 there and the regular $4000 Allowance and $2500 Purchase bonus. Rebate totals $9000 and the markup from invoice on that car was around $3k.

You can probably secure this deal at your local dealer. I mean, I would love the business, but my personal car buying philosophy is to build a relationship with your local team assuming they are decent human beings. A good dealership provides good long term value.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Heck yeah I do. I just sent out a quote to Maine this morning. Shipping a car to Florida next month.

VCOA gets you A plan, which is invoice price minus rebates. A plan has a special rebate added of $1500 for the 2019 S60s. In addition the customer owns a Volvo so they got $1000 there and the regular $4000 Allowance and $2500 Purchase bonus. Rebate totals $9000 and the markup from invoice on that car was around $3k.

You can probably secure this deal at your local dealer. I mean, I would love the business, but my personal car buying philosophy is to build a relationship with your local team assuming they are decent human beings. A good dealership provides good long term value.
I'd be interested in seeing your inventory! My dealer is great for service, but not so much by way of sales. They also don't have exactly what I'm looking for in terms of leftover 2019s which make it tempting with all of the discounts. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any 2019 T6 RDs left!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts