SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
WADR you are "falling out of love" with the car after only 10 days because of a message board and a small issue with your seats that you haven't even shown anyone at Volvo yet. Give Volvo a chance to do the right thing before being a runaway bride. Walk away from the cliff.

This is my 3rd Volvo and while none of them have been as reliable as my Japanese cars the difference in quality is dramatic and I've kept the Volvo's far longer. I have a '98 still with 170k miles and it drives like new and still looks awesome, except for the leather drivers seat :). My 2 month old XC90 is perfect with zero reason to return for service so far. It may seem like all of teh Volvo's are **** because thats the way car message boards are, my BMW board is as bad as this.

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
My amber leather seats are beautiful. There's no way I'd cover them up!
Well you can't have the cake and ice cream, too. People who opt for the softer leather need to expect one of two things.

1. Seats will have unusual wear patterns and require constant replacing until such time the Warranty Expires. And then at Owners Expense.
2. Use a seat cover to protect the seats and prevent a recurrence of a known issue (early wear pattern)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well you can't have the cake and ice cream, too. People who opt for the softer leather need to expect one of two things.

1. Seats will have unusual wear patterns and require constant replacing until such time the Warranty Expires. And then at Owners Expense.
2. Use a seat cover to protect the seats and prevent a recurrence of a known issue (early wear pattern)
This mindset is very unfortunate to have to set for owning a premium version of a Volvo.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have only 7800 miles on my 2017 XC90 Momentum with Amber leather. I try to clean it once per week. I think mine is damaged - see picture. I am going to raise with dealer (Ravenna Volvo) when I bring in for next service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I have only 7800 miles on my 2017 XC90 Momentum with Amber leather. I try to clean it once per week and it was treated with Opti-Guard too. I think mine is damaged - see picture. I am going to raise with dealer (Ravenna Volvo) when I bring in for next service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats a bummer, I was kind of hoping that the Momentum leather was less susceptible to these issues.....mine is only 2 months old, I will keep an eye out for this.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
This mindset is very unfortunate to have to set for owning a premium version of a Volvo.
Leather is not "naturally" black, blue, etc. Leather is dyed. I'm guessing however the softer seats are constructed makes them more susceptible to wear. I agree, if Volvo can't offer a Leather that won't have unusual or abnormal wear patterns in a very short time, then do not sell the product.

I don't blame owners for taking advantage of a product that is perceived to be "luxurious". However, it appears that you'll be living at the Volvo Dealership for the next 50K miles. Replacing / Repairing your seats under warranty until such time it expires.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hence I'm cancelling my extended warranty and decided to ride it out for the next 3 years then trade it in for something else.

·
Registered
93 Posts
IMHO - I *LOVE* my XC90 and even with the leather wear being what it is, I don't regret my decision to buy one. Although I'm a bit disappointed that this is the wear and tear in less than 6 months of ownership, all the other great things about it outweigh this problem. I'm confident that Volvo will do the right thing (I know I'm being optimistic) when I take it in for my 10k service.

On a side note, there's been some reference to a TJ# about wear on the leather - can someone provide me the details so I can reference it when I take my XC90 in next time?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
IMHO - I *LOVE* my XC90 and even with the leather wear being what it is, I don't regret my decision to buy one. Although I'm a bit disappointed that this is the wear and tear in less than 6 months of ownership, all the other great things about it outweigh this problem. I'm confident that Volvo will do the right thing (I know I'm being optimistic) when I take it in for my 10k service.

On a side note, there's been some reference to a TJ# about wear on the leather - can someone provide me the details so I can reference it when I take my XC90 in next time?
TJ 32005.1.1
TITLE: Leather seats, improvements on wrinkles and wear

·
Registered
2,671 Posts

TJ 32005.1.1
TITLE: Leather seats, improvements on wrinkles and wear
Basically there's a new seat cover design that uses a seam along the edges that is less likely to wear as it is more flush than raised and they've adjusted some of the support structures to stretch it out a bit more, I think. There is nothing about it that will really reduce color transfer from dark clothing or a general patina from forming over time. But if you've got premature scuffing and/or excessive wrinkles, they're replacing the covers with the new design.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I had my seat cushion and cover replaced under the above TJ. It's been holding up great. When I first got my car, the leather was wrinkling after like 2 weeks of having the car. Looked terrible. The new seat bottom is doing really well, no wrinkles/signs of wear, and I get in and out of my car A LOT everyday. This was charcoal nappa leather, btw.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I had my seat cushion and cover replaced under the above TJ. It's been holding up great. When I first got my car, the leather was wrinkling after like 2 weeks of having the car. Looked terrible. The new seat bottom is doing really well, no wrinkles/signs of wear, and I get in and out of my car A LOT everyday. This was charcoal nappa leather, btw.
Good to know. I am waiting on a replacement. But two things worry me:

1. They only agreed to replacing the driver seat. The passenger seat shows no wear, so they wouldn't replace it... but I just wonder, what is it going to look like, with seats with different stitching?

2. The back is now starting to show some wrinkling. So far, we have been talking about the base only, but something is off with the back as well. Will see...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Good to know. I am waiting on a replacement. But two things worry me:

1. They only agreed to replacing the driver seat. The passenger seat shows no wear, so they wouldn't replace it... but I just wonder, what is it going to look like, with seats with different stitching?

2. The back is now starting to show some wrinkling. So far, we have been talking about the base only, but something is off with the back as well. Will see...
You can notice a difference if you really stare at them. Honesty, it's not a big deal though. I rarely have anyone as a passenger, so all the passenger seats look brand new.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I noticed my driver's seat doing that, but in a small way and not as badly as yours, and immediately put a blanket over them to prevent them from deteriorating any further. I am still waiting for a nice seat cover I can justify putting on the driver's seat (as it's the most used seat in the car). I don't want these ugly dducklings, lambs wool etc. It must be a seat cover as beautiful and/ or close to the beauty of my seats to warrant my installing it. For now, I use a baby blanked to sit on it when driving to reduce direct friction onto the seat.

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
I noticed my driver's seat doing that, but in a small way and not as badly as yours, and immediately put a blanket over them to prevent them from deteriorating any further. I am still waiting for a nice seat cover I can justify putting on the driver's seat (as it's the most used seat in the car). I don't want these ugly dducklings, lambs wool etc. It must be a seat cover as beautiful and/ or close to the beauty of my seats to warrant my installing it. For now, I use a baby blanked to sit on it when driving to reduce direct friction onto the seat.
http://www.topcar-athens.com/

Custom seat covers out of Greece that don't look tacky.

21 - 40 of 214 Posts