SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

201 - 214 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
I bought mine in July 2018 with 13 miles on the Odometer. It's been a lot of "cross-country" driving these past 30-odd months!
Holy Hell. I've taken road trips, and several of them that year I did 25K miles, but you are a true road warrior! Albeit considering I had a rental and just did a 4500 mile drive within a week period LOL a month ago.

Those trips work or pleasure? You're averaging over 2560 miles a month or about 85 miles / day. That's a lot of driving, but if you must commute to work, school, etc then it's completely understandable.

Either way, I hope that 13 miles came with a a CPO and your car was a low mileage demo / loaner. Otherwise, you pissed away your factory 4yr / 50K in less than 20 months!!!

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
I sold my 2017 with 67,000 miles on the odometer - but it has been garaged for the last two years, because it suicided and Volvo refused to acknowledge. Nothing a good lawsuit couldn't fix!

Both front seats had been replaced by then, due to excessive wear and tear. The newer seats had completely different stitching (double-stitching on the outside, which every decent manufacturer has been using for the past fifty years, but Volvo forgot on the 2016s and 2017s... I am sure that save them a whole dollar per seat, until they had to replace them).

So yes, if you have single-stitching on the outer edges, you have the old seats, which do wear out prematurely.
Did you sue? Remind me again as my brain sucks, what exactly happened?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would raise this issue with the dealer and ask the problem be addressed. It is unacceptable and by no means should your $60K car with 15,000 miles be developing such wear patterns. Unfortunately, I think that even if Volvo would good will the issue, you are back in the same position. Never being able to sit directly on the seat without a cover, for fear of "ruining the soft leather".

Per the current issue:

1. Stop by dealer ask to speak to general manager M-Fri during normal business hours. Show him what's taking place and ask what can be done to address the concern. And if Volvo can good will repair the problem.

2. If Dealer gives resistance, let me know. We can email corporate and see what happens there.
Next time I go in, this issue will be addressed with the dealer. It’s a two hour trip for me to get there, and with COVID going on pretty heavily in Seattle, I’ll wait until the next service job.

My wife was considering an XC40 to replace her ‘07 V70, but now having second thoughts.

Thanks very much for your suggestions.

Cheers,
Bill J

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
Next time I go in, this issue will be addressed with the dealer. It’s a two hour trip for me to get there, and with COVID going on pretty heavily in Seattle, I’ll wait until the next service job.

My wife was considering an XC40 to replace her ‘07 V70, but now having second thoughts.

Thanks very much for your suggestions.

Cheers,
Bill J
You're welcome. Keep us posted.

I think Covid is rampant pretty much everywhere in the country right now. With Thanksgiving soon, combined with cold and flu season, we're in for a doozie. None the less, I wouldn't write off Volvo over one bad experience. Maybe consider not getting ventilated seats on your next vehicle. Those two tone seats look like a pretty snazzy substitute!

·
Registered
616 Posts
You're welcome. Keep us posted.

I think Covid is rampant pretty much everywhere in the country right now. With Thanksgiving soon, combined with cold and flu season, we're in for a doozie. None the less, I wouldn't write off Volvo over one bad experience. Maybe consider not getting ventilated seats on your next vehicle. Those two tone seats look like a pretty snazzy substitute!
The V90 Inscription was sort of a celebration to myself, wanted a special treat after defeating cancer. I’m a bit disappointed with this upholstery issue, but overall love this car. A lot.

My wife liked the XC 40 R she sat in that had the Lava interior treatment...she thought it was pretty hot. 🤓

·
Registered
132 Posts
IMO, the interior wear topic is very subjective and also depends on how often, how well, how much are the seats used, abused, cleaned, maintained, conditioned, etc.

I take (I think) good care of my Amber interior, and my interior looks, feels, and smells brand new with 70000+ miles of seat time.

Not at all denying some interiors out there might have obvious production flaws and are not necessarily degraded due to heavy use and abuse, but again, not every worn interior is due to quality issues. Due to the subjectivity of this topic, it's always gonna stay debatable.
I own a 2020 V90 Inscription and can say that the perforated nappa leather seats are extremely comfortable. However, with the said, IMO, the leather appears to be more "delicate" than the equally comfortable perforated nappa leather seats found in my wife's 2007 Lexus ES 350 seats. Comparing the V90's leather to the ES, the V90's leather seems slightly thinner and the perforation holes are wider. All of this seems to lead to a slightly more supple feel, but at a cost to strength. This is all subtle, but over time my guess is that the V90's seats may not hold up as well as our ES. My neighbor's XC90 has the non-perforated leather seats. There not as supple, but appear to be more durable.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Our 2017 (04/2017 build) has the ventilated nappa leather. 72,000 miles and going and they look great! No abnormal wear or creasing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
The V90 Inscription was sort of a celebration to myself, wanted a special treat after defeating cancer. I’m a bit disappointed with this upholstery issue, but overall love this car. A lot.

My wife liked the XC 40 R she sat in that had the Lava interior treatment...she thought it was pretty hot. 🤓
Nothing wrong with treating yourself, especially to a milestone like beating cancer! Hopefully, you can get the upholstery issue addressed per my suggestions. I would then use a seat cover moving forward. I have a 2015.5 S60 and I got sick and tired of the dyes bleeding onto the blonde leather. So I've used a seat cover early on. My leather underneath looks pristine.

Sure, I'm not getting to directly sit on it, but the flip side, it wears less.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
931 Posts
Holy Hell. I've taken road trips, and several of them that year I did 25K miles, but you are a true road warrior! Albeit considering I had a rental and just did a 4500 mile drive within a week period LOL a month ago.

Those trips work or pleasure? You're averaging over 2560 miles a month or about 85 miles / day. That's a lot of driving, but if you must commute to work, school, etc then it's completely understandable.

Either way, I hope that 13 miles came with a a CPO and your car was a low mileage demo / loaner. Otherwise, you pissed away your factory 4yr / 50K in less than 20 months!!!
My daily work travel is around 70 miles. In addition, I have to drive down to PA monthly for my Master's that I'm pursuing and also, quarterly road-trips to Houston where the wife lives. Add a couple of 5k + vacation road trips every year to the mix and I end up putting around 30-35k miles every year on the V90CC.

I purchased the vehicle brand-new as there were no CPOs available with all the options that I wanted. Albeit, I got a great (almost) 20% off MSRP deal from an out-of-state dealership, so that made buying new hurt less. I have also purchased the extended warranty (up to 120k miles) and the prepaid service (up to 100k miles) for the CC.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is 2017 S90 built mid 2016, after 110K KM.
I got it as CPO in Aug 2020 so I am not sure the previous owner's habit, weight, etc.

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
My daily work travel is around 70 miles. In addition, I have to drive down to PA monthly for my Master's that I'm pursuing and also, quarterly road-trips to Houston where the wife lives. Add a couple of 5k + vacation road trips every year to the mix and I end up putting around 30-35k miles every year on the V90CC.

I purchased the vehicle brand-new as there were no CPOs available with all the options that I wanted. Albeit, I got a great (almost) 20% off MSRP deal from an out-of-state dealership, so that made buying new hurt less. I have also purchased the extended warranty (up to 120k miles) and the prepaid service (up to 100k miles) for the CC.
I've done that Houston Drive several times From a just about as far. Helping family move down there, then I moved down there, then I moved back, etc. Whole family (except me) originates from Michigan. I'm the oddball I guess.

What part of Michigan you commuting from? 20% Off MSRP is a good deal, but a CPO may have been more ideal for your needs. As it provides 5 yrs / unlimited mile from in service date!. You're going to burn through those 120K extended warranty miles in a heart beat. Should have gotten unlimited warranty? I've got prepaid service + wear on mine, too.

I've still got 80,90, and 100K left. I'm trying to pace out my driving a bit so I don't burn through the remainder. I've got about 19 months / 22,500 miles left. Chances are I'll term things out around 15-17 months. So almost getting 6 yrs of ownership. I never expected to hit that 100K at all, then I did 25K in one year, making up for lost time!

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
931 Posts
I've done that Houston Drive several times From a just about as far. Helping family move down there, then I moved down there, then I moved back, etc. Whole family (except me) originates from Michigan. I'm the oddball I guess.

What part of Michigan you commuting from? 20% Off MSRP is a good deal, but a CPO may have been more ideal for your needs. As it provides 5 yrs / unlimited mile from in service date!. You're going to burn through those 120K extended warranty miles in a heart beat. Should have gotten unlimited warranty? I've got prepaid service + wear on mine, too.

I've still got 80,90, and 100K left. I'm trying to pace out my driving a bit so I don't burn through the remainder. I've got about 19 months / 22,500 miles left. Chances are I'll term things out around 15-17 months. So almost getting 6 yrs of ownership. I never expected to hit that 100K at all, then I did 25K in one year, making up for lost time!
Yup. Totally agree CPO would have been the way to go, but as mentioned, I hardly had any choices as it was still early in V90CC's lifecycle to have many CPO options and also, did not want to buy a first MY (2017) vehicle. That's why I had to go the new car route.

And yeah, with the COVID lockdowns happening, I have driven much less this year and my NM/AZ Thanksgiving road trip (which I was supposed to leave for, today morning) got canceled as NM is under full lockdown! I live in the Grand Blanc area and travel up to Saginaw/Bay City for work, so that's around 70-75 miles daily round trip.

I really do not mind much about running out of warranty soon. I think I trust the vehicle enough that it will not burn a hole in my pocket with out-of-warranty costs (fingers crossed)! Only time will tell, though.

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
Yup. Totally agree CPO would have been the way to go, but as mentioned, I hardly had any choices as it was still early in V90CC's lifecycle to have many CPO options and also, did not want to buy a first MY (2017) vehicle. That's why I had to go the new car route.
Makes perfect sense. I like the 7yr / 100K but my road warrior driving is more paced. So even worst case scenario I'll get around 5.5 yrs out of the 6 years that remained. New CPO is definitely geared to the top 10% like you. So total bummer early on in production and none available!

And yeah, with the COVID lockdowns happening, I have driven much less this year and my NM/AZ Thanksgiving road trip (which I was supposed to leave for, today morning) got canceled as NM is under full lockdown! I live in the Grand Blanc area and travel up to Saginaw/Bay City for work, so that's around 70-75 miles daily round trip.
Same here. No invite to yearly Family Thanksgiving up near Detroit. Pretty sure Covid to blame for that one. Maybe next year as they say!

75 miles quite a commute. Definitely ads to the odometer!

I really do not mind much about running out of warranty soon. I think I trust the vehicle enough that it will not burn a hole in my pocket with out-of-warranty costs (fingers crossed)! Only time will tell, though.
You've had better luck than me! My Factory Warranty + CPO has cost Volvo a small fortune!

Under factory warranty:

1. 4 Visits on Backup Camera (180 mile roundtrip to dealer I prefer each visit). Camera would randomly fail to engage with backup camera unavailable. Could have lemon lawed the car but dealer was nice about it. It took all the following to finally resolve the problem over those 4 attempts.

A. New Wiring Harness
B. New Seal
C. New Camera
D. Software updates

2. Replace gearshift knob. Enamel cracked (known issue I was told).

3. Replace Rearview Mirror (Clouded Over).

4. SRS airbag urgent message (software bug).

5. Twice my Sensus Software needed updated after software corrupted and internet wouldn't connect.

Under CPO

6. Folder Mirror Motor Died on Passenger Side. Mirror sounded like a jet engine ready for take off. (could have been factory warranty can't remember date)

7. Oil Consumption issue beginning at 70K. New PCV / Breather Box. Didn't resolve. Low Oil Light Returned. Brought car in for a tear down of the engine to replace rings. Got New Spark Plugs as part of tear down. I paid dealer part prices only (no labor) to replace timing belt, pulley, serpentine belt, and tensioners while things were apart.

8. Stored thermostat code. Technical journal on issue. Thermostat replaced and fried ECM. Needed ECM replaced.

I was told 7 and 8 were a combined total of around $5,000-$6000.

I've got a few gripes that need repaired but are expensive / not warranty:

1. Stupid cupholder rubber fingers are cracking and breaking. Volvo used crap rubber. It's $300 to have this $10 part replaced.

2. I believe I need my washer nozzles replaced. They keep adjusting and spraying over my car. Supposedly easy to replace, but I haven't checked into it yet.

·
Registered
996 Posts
In my eyes this is a normal appearance of a genuine leather. They are simply aspects of real leather. As they adapt to the body shape just like a new pair of shoes.

But since it’s blonde it shows every little detail. Specially color shifting from clothes and jeans.

If the seats color is fading, then that’s another matter.

I would simply clean the leather and add conditioner and a scotch guard coat on top.
I used lexol to clean and condition and kiwi scotch guard for Swede leather shoes and bags on my R-design.

It wouldn’t stop this but will certainly minimize it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. It looks a lot like mine, especially when blue from blue jeans is transferred. I use Zymol leather cleaner and it cleans right up.

201 - 214 of 214 Posts