SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's amazing that my 17 with 4k miles leather is showing signs of wear like this. I take special care when getting in and out of the vehicle to avoid my jeans staining the seats. Thought it was a stain but when I cleaned it it looks worse and closer inspection, looks like the internal leather is already showing through. Is this covered under warranty?

I feel like this car is so built with iKea quality. Looks nice but doesn't last.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I hope mine are ok. I have less than 400 miles on mine. I put a leather serum on them the first day, and have cleaned them twice with good ph-balanced leather cleaner. This is one of those things I will always worry about; the leather is so soft and feels very delicate.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
There is a TJ for premature seat wear along the seams but it looks like your seats are already using the new seam design. Based solely on your photo which lacks any sense of depth or texture that one would have in real life, it looks like color transfer from something darker. I think the actual hide might be as light or lighter in color than the surface, not darker. But I'm not certain of this.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
It's amazing that my 17 with 4k miles leather is showing signs of wear like this. I take special care when getting in and out of the vehicle to avoid my jeans staining the seats. Thought it was a stain but when I cleaned it it looks worse and closer inspection, looks like the internal leather is already showing through. Is this covered under warranty?

I feel like this car is so built with iKea quality. Looks nice but doesn't last.

Disclaimer:.... I've said this a million times like a broken record....and People want to argue that "Sitting on the Leather seats" is worth the wear....End Rant

A. Looks like color transfer. You can try buying Volvo's cleaning Kit and try to get that off the leather. Or try some Griot Garage and That'll do the trick, too

B. Invest in some custom made seat covers. I bought mine from Top-Car Athens...So while everyone's seats look like crap, mine will be fine.

http://www.topcar-athens.com/category/volvo

I have them for my S60. You can Email these guys and they can make for an XC90 if they don't stock. It's like $300 for Front + Back...and It'll keep that from happening again, while protecting the seats....

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Disclaimer:.... I've said this a million times like a broken record....and People want to argue that "Sitting on the Leather seats" is worth the wear....End Rant

A. Looks like color transfer. You can try buying Volvo's cleaning Kit and try to get that off the leather. Or try some Griot Garage and That'll do the trick, too

B. Invest in some custom made seat covers. I bought mine from Top-Car Athens...So while everyone's seats look like crap, mine will be fine.

I have them for my S60. You can Email these guys and they can make for an XC90 if they don't stock. It's like $300 for Front + Back...and It'll keep that from happening again, while protecting the seats....
I was hoping that you guys are right, so I went out and tried to clean it again, I used meguiar's leather cleaner and a leather cleaning brush, it actually made the condition worse, I can see the dye rubbing off bigger so I stopped.

I see the point of putting a cover over the seats for protection but I didn't buy the leather seats to cover it.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
I was hoping that you guys are right, so I went out and tried to clean it again, I used meguiar's leather cleaner and a leather cleaning brush, it actually made the condition worse, I can see the dye rubbing off bigger so I stopped.

I see the point of putting a cover over the seats for protection but I didn't buy the leather seats to cover it.
The Seat Covers look very stylish and blend in with the car. Protecting the Leather. Since they are a Leatherette substance, you can't tell the difference between sitting on the cover and the seat. I like them a lot.

Gratiot Garage All Purpose SOlution or Volvo's Leather cleaner should work. You DO NOT rub the solution into the Leather. You "Blot and Pad" using a Foam Applicator to soak up the stain!!!!

·
Registered
822 Posts
I am tempted to quote Apocalypse Now, but I will stifle that and note that it does not make sense to me that wear would show there first-- on the side of the seat where you would literally have to work at it to drag your rear end over it repeatedly. Shouldn't premature wear show up on a seam where you are actually sitting? That is why I would have said it was color transfer, too.

If it isn't color transfer, then you are right to stop scrubbing it. Take it the dealer, and ask them to evaluate it. If it really is premature wear, and is not related to the known problem with earlier seats, then let them deal with it-- or at least let them pass word along that there might be another problem.

Our seats are still beautiful and still very comfortable, so the answer to your specific question is-- nope, no problems at all with our seats-- they are great, and definitely not Ikea.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Seat Covers look very stylish and blend in with the car. Protecting the Leather. Since they are a Leatherette substance, you can't tell the difference between sitting on the cover and the seat. I like them a lot.

Gratiot Garage All Purpose SOlution or Volvo's Leather cleaner should work. You DO NOT rub the solution into the Leather. You "Blot and Pad" using a Foam Application to soak up the stain!!!!
thanks, I'll definitely look into it for cleaning purposes but this is definitely not stain. I already made an appointment to bring the car in for some other minor imperfection and have them look at this. When/If this get fixed, I'm going to put some Cquartz on all the seats.

Neither of my MB, BMW did this after 10 years. My 15 year old toyota didn't do this although leather is cracking but dye don't just come off like this. Maybe I have the "non upgraded" seats as mentioned. I'm glad that I'm the only one experiencing this, hopefully there's a cure.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
thanks, I'll definitely look into it for cleaning purposes but this is definitely not stain. I already made an appointment to bring the car in for some other minor imperfection and have them look at this. When/If this get fixed, I'm going to put some Cquartz on all the seats.

Neither of my MB, BMW did this after 10 years. My 15 year old toyota didn't do this although leather is cracking but dye don't just come off like this. Maybe I have the "non upgraded" seats as mentioned. I'm glad that I'm the only one experiencing this, hopefully there's a cure.
It's not super clear due to the bokeh of your photo but if your seat is perforated like it seems, then you have the top of the line Inscription seats as those are the only perforated seats available in blonde.

I agree with others that you should bring it back in to have it inspected if it isn't color transfer. Keep in mind that the seat upholstery are literally just covers themselves albeit high quality ones. They are replaceable without replacing the whole seat and there have been others that have had warranty replacements for defects.

FWIW, I have the amber seats with the old seam design and about 7,500 miles and no issues yet.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If anyone is still in doubt that this is not a color transfer, the thing in the photo is now at a much lighter shade however still visible. Just confirm that what is showing is indeed the internal leather. When the leather is wet it darken when it dries it lightens. If you took a wet towel and wipe it over your perforated seats you notice the holes would become darker and the holes appears to be larger, and when it dries it looks normal again.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts

I have a 2017 T8 with Nappa, amber. What you are showing is wear and it is a known issue with the Inscription perforated Nappa leather (well, it is worse with the Nappa, but a problem with other seats as well)--as others have mentioned, there is an "early wear" TJ going around. Scary thing is, you already have the new stitching, which is supposed to reduce wear. But it is a big problem, IMHO.

My car is four months old, with 13k miles. My wear started like yours, but, by now, it is worse. I am also showing similar wear on the center console and even on the door, where my knee makes contact with the leather (well, depending on how I am sitting...). On amber, the scratched part is a bright red, so everyone starts with "it's dirty" - no, it'd not. When you clean it, it looks worse when still wet. It will look a bit less noticeable as it dries up, in a day or two.

The good news is, Volvo has been replacing seats like candy, judging from the threads I read. I know a guy that is at his fourth seat in less than 20k miles.
The bad news.... it will happen again. And again and again.

·
Registered
371 Posts

My amber leather seats are beautiful. There's no way I'd cover them up!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This isn't giving me the warm and fuzzy at all. What's the odds of lemoning a car due to leather seats?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Lemon... don't know.

I am pissed as well. Well, pissed is a strong word. Disappointed. It's by far the worst feature of the car, and the one serious problem I have. A battery that keeps dying every time the car is idle for 3+ weeks is my other big issue. Anyhow, you might want to look at this thread on a different forum:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=258737&page=17

I also want to stress... it's not just the seats. All the leather is not durable. My console is full of small scratches and is starting to wrinkle. You can scratch the console with a broken fingernail, let alone a watch, ring, or even coat buttons, especially if metallic. And I know what some people are thinking, but I am actually very careful with my cars. Never had any problems like this in other cars with "premium" leather. I don't have kids and wear a suit-and-tie every day, so I haven't even sit in the car with jeans yet.

Truth is, Volvo has chosen some really soft and "pleasant-to-the-touch" leather. Compare it to Audi or BMW premium leather, and Volvo's is softer, more pleasant. But that comes at the expense of durability. I had cars for 100k miles and the seats looked better than my Volvo seats after four months of ownership.

The ultimate irony is that the cheaper, non-perforated leather is actually very durable. My father has an XC90 with non-perforated seats and it is showing no wear, even though the car is a year older than mine and has double mileage.

·
Registered
343 Posts
This is why I opted for the standard seats and got the Momentum. So far my amber seats are good, as were the standard seats in my XC60 (23,000 miles). Even my wife's 2005 S80 has grey seats that show some wear in the drivers side, but nothing on the passenger side nor the rear seats.

·
Registered
988 Posts
This isn't giving me the warm and fuzzy at all. What's the odds of lemoning a car due to leather seats?
Nah, don't see how that would happen.

Seats can be replaced. Some covers are designed to be removable. We had the front and rear 2-tone seats in our 2013 replaced in 2016 even though it has a bunch of miles. Ours zip or pop off, not sure which but the same type of wear was apparent on our seats (dye worn away) and generated Volvo's great support.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Zero to None....Take it to the dealer. They'll diagnose whether seats are indeed failing and need replaced or if what we see is color bleeding from Clothes.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Zero to None....Take it to the dealer. They'll diagnose whether seats are indeed failing and need replaced or if what we see is color bleeding from Clothes.
The customer service told me that the leather seats is considered wear and tear. Therefore, it's only warrant for 1 year or 12k miles. Assume I can fight to get it replaced a few more times after that, what happens next? shell out a few hundred every few years for new leather?

When I spoke to the service person today for my appointment, he said bring it in and they'll look at it BUT and I quote "If it was a an issue during delivery, the selling dealer is supposed to be responsible for it" This is not very promising service experience already, the horror service experience I'm reading here doesn't help either. Volvo corporate is responsible for making EVERY dealer service their factory warranty vehicle regardless PERIOD. To me, bumper to bumper means every trim pieces, leather craftsmanship etc... at least this is how I've been treated with other "luxury brand"

I love the look of the car but I'm falling out of love of owning it already in less than 10 days of ownership.

·
Registered
12,474 Posts
The irony is that premium leather that costs more typically wears worse, has been a problem at Volvo and other manufacturers for years. It feels very soft to the touch but you need to take great care when getting into or exiting the car to not rub on the material too much. I have had a few cars with premium leather (still have one) but no more. I always move the seat back when I am getting out of the car to prevent unnecessary wear.

The stuff that that Toyota and Honda use is so heavily treated it's almost not leather anymore. It wears like iron but is pretty much plastic.

You should work with your dealer to get the seat cover replaced and long term treat any worn spots with matching dye that can be found by formulators on the internet.

Good luck with this.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
The customer service told me that the leather seats is considered wear and tear. Therefore, it's only warrant for 1 year or 12k miles. Assume I can fight to get it replaced a few more times after that, what happens next? shell out a few hundred every few years for new leather?

When I spoke to the service person today for my appointment, he said bring it in and they'll look at it BUT and I quote "If it was a an issue during delivery, the selling dealer is supposed to be responsible for it" This is not very promising service experience already, the horror service experience I'm reading here doesn't help either. Volvo corporate is responsible for making EVERY dealer service their factory warranty vehicle regardless PERIOD. To me, bumper to bumper means every trim pieces, leather craftsmanship etc... at least this is how I've been treated with other "luxury brand"

I love the look of the car but I'm falling out of love of owning it already in less than 10 days of ownership.
Bumper to Bumper refers to mechanical and defects of workmanship. I.E. The stitching came out of the seat within a few days and all the leather is separating. Wear and Tear is NOT COVERED. Brakes, Rotors, Tires, Windshield Wipers, Your Leather Wearing under NORMAL USE, etc.

The only thing you can do is take the car to the dealer and have them diagnose the problem. If you don't like their opinion, try a SECOND dealer for another opinion. If the issue is workmanship (Seat leather failing in 10 Days), then they can replace and/or repair seats.

If the issue is color bleed or you tore the seats, then its up to the dealer on how to proceed. These would be considered "Normal Wear and Tear". I.E. You had a sharp object in your pants that punctured the seats. You had black pants and all the color came out... And so forth.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts