SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i decide on the tire, I stayed stock for now, the rims i like were the evolve v7 19" or the voxx misano 18", both of which have been discontinued. anyways I did not want the tire shop to damage my body kit, so I just took the tire in. then when I went to put it back on the car, i decided it was best to do a full rotation, the front had more ware then the rear. As it is I also have to worry they will slap the rim on the calipers and cause some scrape-ige.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Re: Is anyone else afraid to take there car to a shop for fear of DAMAGE? (kitkat)

kinda confused how many tire did you buy?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Re: Is anyone else afraid to take there car to a shop for fear of DAMAGE? (volvosince16)

I've had dealers:

Scratch/tear my - driver's seat, pass. seat, shift boot, trim (not careful with tools)

Scuff/chip my - rims (impact wrench + lug holes = FAIL)

Pop my - tires (Audi dealer driving it onto a lift for work on the interior that did not require a lift)

Gash my - steering wheel.

Just make them sign a disclaimer - or do it yourself. Then again, I've done my own damage, so damned if you do, damned if you don't.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Re: (kmagnuss)

Quote, originally posted by kmagnuss »
Yes. I cringe at the thought of someone else working on my car. So they don't. (except tires and alignments)

I 2nd that!

·
Registered
466 Posts
definitely feel you there. when i took my R to the tire shop (Big O) to get a leak repaired, they put a HUGE dent in my hood. what's funny about this is the OWNER did it, i watched him do it and when i said something right away he just looked sheepish and tried to play it off like there's no damage. BUT WAIT DOUCHEBAG WHAT'S THAT BIG DENT RIGHT THERE?

took me almost 2 weeks to get payment to get that dent repaired. will NEVER visit that Big O even if I have to drive 300 miles for a tire shop.

/rant

i'm always scared about it, i don't even wanna talk about the dealer and all the troubles i had with those guys jackin up my R

·
6,436 Posts
I've had the dealer:
- overfill my engine with oil, causing my catch can to overflow
- scratch my interior
- dirty my interior (including seats)
- scratch my wheels

I try to do all the work myself; the next time I HAVE to bring it to the dealer I will put on a plastic seat cover and I'll wrap my pillars with foil...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Re: Is anyone else afraid to take there car to a shop for fear of DAMAGE? (kitkat)

This is being repaired next week. I had them fix the squeaky creaky drivers seat... They did this damage removing the seat. They denied it at first but it was obvious.

·
Registered
587 Posts

Yes. And would you believe, I was afraid to take my car to the BODY SHOP? Yes, after a winglet didn't survive our only major snowstorm this past winter, my insurance company directed me to their body shop in downtown St. Louis. Every entrance to the building was up on a huge curb so there was no way to get the R up into the place for an estimate, so they just did their BS on the street. I asked the estimator how they'd ultimately repair the car & the answer was they'd "figure something out." Well, when I brought the car back in & even reminded them it wouldn't clear, the idiot still drove it straight in and scraped the paint off the bottom of the good winglet. No, they didn't touch it up. The car was delivered back to me scraped, and they didn't even have the balls to drive it out of their building. When I told the guy I wasn't happy, his reply was that there was pre-existing scrapes on the front winglet which is BS. So, they opened up the garbage truck gate out back, and after 10 minutes of maneuvering about, I got it out without making the damage worse. So yes, be very afraid. The insurance company ran & hid after they heard I was unhappy with their shop http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Re: Is anyone else afraid to take there car to a shop for fear of DAMAGE? (scootss60)

Crap. I was about to post a question if I have to go to the dealer for a regular service, oil change etc... I always do this kind of things myself and thought I can go to the dealer but now I'm even less certain if it makes sense. Car is approaching 30k and gently reminds me about service every morning..

·
Registered
212 Posts
Re: Is anyone else afraid to take there car to a shop for fear of DAMAGE? (Papa_Kirlo)

I had my rims refinished, had a local mom and pop complete the balancing without so much as a scuff - always do a good job for my father. Then I take it to the dealer to have the scheduled maintenance done, and all 4 wheels have marks from lug removal, and then chips from balancing again......I could understand if there was one mark from lug removal. But all 5 wheel lugs on all 4 wheels is pure carelessness
. I had to find the marks myself (after I paid the bill ~ $650), and almost lost it when I went back to complain.
The dealer previous to the one above did the slave cylinder, forgot to put a boot back on around a steering shaft - hearing a lot of road noise - took it back the next morning to have it fixed, then later that day I lost the ability to shift into any gear except 1st and maybe 3rd as the shift cable disconnected - R was flat bedded back to have all repairs reviewed by a more senior technician.....it's hard to find a good tech.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Re: (Token)

Quote, originally posted by Token »
If I'm using an independent, I just look at what other cars they're working on. If people trust them with ther MB SL-Class and whatever not, then I reckon they're safe.

Good call. This place called "German Motors" next door to me always has gorgeous Porche's, BMW's, and MB's outside of all years. Always wanted to go ask if they "had room for a swede" in there =]

·
Registered
18 Posts

I had a vibration so the dealer balanced my tires for me.... When I got my car back all 4 of the rims were scratched... I told them about it right away and they replaced all 4 rims with new Genuine Volvo Rims. Needless to say I was pleased. Kudos to Volvo of Lisle!!!

But I do still worry each time I take it in.... The service dept there has a special note in my records to be very careful when they work on my car.... It appears on the paper work each time I take the car in...

What's also nice is the minute you pull the car in for service, a person has a form... they walk totally around the car and make note of any damage on the car before it is worked on... and you receive a copy of that.... A VERY good idea I think.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Is anyone else afraid to take there car to a shop for fear of DAMAGE? (volvosince16)

Quote, originally posted by volvosince16 »
kinda confused how many tire did you buy?

Just one, i had a shoulder screw hole

·
Registered
441 Posts

I just recently had my Volvo registered in Texas again and I took it to a shop to get the inspection sticker. I felt violated simply looking at the greasy, sweaty, fat mechanic sitting in my car like its a buick.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Re: Is anyone else afraid to take there car to a shop for fear of DAMAGE? (DavidPax)

"What's also nice is the minute you pull the car in for service, a person has a form... they walk totally around the car and make note of any damage on the car before it is worked on... and you receive a copy of that.... A VERY good idea I think. "

I actually demand this any time I take my car to the dealer.

I have 65k miles on my car so you can imagine I have been to the dealer a few times. Not once (and I mean this literally) have I had my car serviced by a Volvo dealer and not had damage done

The best one was when they damaged my bumper replacing my radiator. They fixed it, then when I went to turn on my headlight wipers (just for fun) I found out that they had put the blades on backwards (left was on the right and vice/versa). Needless to say the wiper dug in to the bumber on both sides when it was turned on. I stood there in complete disbelief

Another good one was when they replaced my Master cylinder. They had to do something with the box that has all the electrical stuff in it that sits nearby. They left the top sitting there and left the rubber weather thing that surrounds the wires dangling. The service Director saw this and I swear he was about to hit the "Master" Technician. See he knew of the many issues I have had, so when I had my car in for the Master Cylinder repair he requested that only he work on it and that he triple check for issues. Well he didn't work on it, his trainee did and his trainee left many items off the car and generally did not put anything back together right

Ahhh reminiscing about all the good times just makes me want to head over to my local Volvo Dealership and by me another car...oh wait my local dealership is gone!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts