SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in full research mode for an XC90, already have a deposit down on a R-Design and every time I'm in this forum I get a little more hesitant to go through with the deal.

Obviously forums are for support, help, how-to, tips, tricks, etc. but this section is full of rants & raves regarding the bugs and quirky behavior of this redesigned SUV.

Can we hear from a few folks who are really satisfied with what they've bought?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm in full research mode for an XC90, already have a deposit down on a R-Design and every time I'm in this forum I get a little more hesitant to go through with the deal.

Obviously forums are for support, help, how-to, tips, tricks, etc. but this section is full of rants & raves regarding the bugs and quirky behavior of this redesigned SUV.

Can we hear from a few folks who are really satisfied with what they've bought?
I was just wondering this same thing when you made this post. Since I purchased mine before I read any forums and it's now been in the shop for 2 weeks, I'm really hoping there are some satisfied owners out there.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Let me help you guys out. People with New, non performance cars, don't come to forums to talk about how much they love their cars. They come to talk about issues. This makes it seem like everyone is having issues when in reality, you are looking at a very small sample size. People who love their cars, just go about their day loving their cars and have nothing to say about them. You will not find very many of those people on a forum. Performance car owners are a different breed and we love talking about our cars, so different rules apply.

Also, no one is 100% happy with any auto purchase. It's impossible. All cars have quirks. It's about the quirks not overwhelming the positive experience of ownership. I have had my Polestar in the shop the equivalent of once/month in the year that I've had it, does that mean that I'd rethink the purchase, absolutely not. I'd buy it again without thinking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Let me help you guys out. People with New, non performance cars, don't come to forums to talk about how much they love their cars. They come to talk about issues. This makes it seem like everyone is having issues when in reality, you are looking at a very small sample size. People who love their cars, just go about their day loving their cars and have nothing to say about them. You will not find very many of those people on a forum. Performance car owners are a different breed and we love talking about our cars, so different rules apply.

Also, no one is 100% happy with any auto purchase. It's impossible. All cars have quirks. It's about the quirks not overwhelming the positive experience of ownership. I have had my Polestar in the shop the equivalent of once/month in the year that I've had it, does that mean that I'd rethink the purchase, absolutely not. I'd buy it again without thinking.
This^^

I would also add that many people come to forums for "How To's" as well as 'Issues'. Search any forums for any products and you will see the same, "My (Car, Laptop, Camera,__________) is causing me trouble" or "How do I do this?"

Issues are unfortunate, but most of what I've seen here was the needed software update, which appears to have fixed most or all of the problems (even added heated steering wheel option to one lucky customer). I don't have an XC90.....yet (almost, timing off), but I still see myself pulling the trigger in the 1st quarter next year. The only thing I don't like so far is the U.S. trailer hitch (seems like an after thought).

Enjoy your RDesign when it arrives. Send us photos and tell us how much you enjoy it :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tell me how happy you would be to have these issues with a new car:
- 4 brake rotors replaced
- new accelerator assembly installed
- O2 sensor replaced
- Sensus update caused system to not be responsive, still dead 2 weeks later
- car has been at the delearship since 11/13

All the while, no call/message from VCNA offering appology. Only service dept telling me they are "working" on it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am 100% happy with my T6. I'm waiting on a better trailer hitch to come to market. I'm okay with the CarPlay glitches since I expect that from a 1.0 version.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Same here. Pretty happy with the car myself!

·
Registered
381 Posts
This^^

I would also add that many people come to forums for "How To's" as well as 'Issues'. Search any forums for any products and you will see the same, "My (Car, Laptop, Camera,__________) is causing me trouble" or "How do I do this?"

Issues are unfortunate, but most of what I've seen here was the needed software update, which appears to have fixed most or all of the problems (even added heated steering wheel option to one lucky customer). I don't have an XC90.....yet (almost, timing off), but I still see myself pulling the trigger in the 1st quarter next year. The only thing I don't like so far is the U.S. trailer hitch (seems like an after thought).

Enjoy your RDesign when it arrives. Send us photos and tell us how much you enjoy it :D
Yea, I'm pretty sure that it's been covered by me and many others, ad nauseum, that most people come onto forums to bitch. You clearly have not been paying attention to the scope of the issues and some of the alarming severity of issues that have been reported over the last several months. When I say "severity of issues", I am not talking about bluetooth connection problems, I am talking about safety hazards potentially putting occupants and other vehicles at risk.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm really excited to take delivery and I'm sure I'll be posting a ton of stuff on fun times and cool mods. I'm coming off a rock solid MDX which could easily go another 100k miles, but I'm ready for some tech and safety upgrades. The R-Design checks just about all the boxes and I'm trying to buy close to home for a great dealer relationship.

I know what I'm getting into and if issues come up, this is the first place I'll look to and report back. I'm active on the Audizine forums with a track-ready S4. Crazy group over there... seems much more mature here already. Keep the good stories coming... also interested in that hitch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
6,000 miles in, no major issues. Actually, not even minor issues of note. We are totally enjoying the XC90.
It's good to hear comments like this. I honestly love the car. IMHO it's the best looking SUV in its price range and a blast to drive. When we get it back, I can easily tolerate some minor issues, it's the major ones that I'm worried about. Since it seems like some owners have very serious issues while others don't, getting an extended warranty may alleviate my worries so that I can just enjoy the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yea, I'm pretty sure that it's been covered by me and many others, ad nauseum, that most people come onto forums to bitch. You clearly have not been paying attention to the scope of the issues and some of the alarming severity of issues that have been reported over the last several months. When I say "severity of issues", I am not talking about bluetooth connection problems, I am talking about safety hazards potentially putting occupants and other vehicles at risk.
I was answering the OP. Wasn't trying to strike a chord with you. Clearly you weren't paying attention to whom I was answering ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's good to hear comments like this. I honestly love the car. IMHO it's the best looking SUV in its price range and a blast to drive. When we get it back, I can easily tolerate some minor issues, it's the major ones that I'm worried about. Since it seems like some owners have very serious issues while others don't, getting an extended warranty may alleviate my worries so that I can just enjoy the car.
Make no mistake, this XC90 is one of the riskiest purchase decisions today. My advice is to:

- Consider leasing instead of buying
- Research your lemon laws in your state
- Get an extended warranty if you buy it

Then pull the trigger and smile :).

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Make no mistake, this XC90 is one of the riskiest purchase decisions today. My advice is to:

- Consider leasing instead of buying
- Research your lemon laws in your state
- Get an extended warranty if you buy it

Then pull the trigger and smile :).
Totally agree...thanks.

Funny, I was asking for "satisfied" customers.... only took to post #5 to go the other way.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm really annoyed with some issues, like the horrific voice recognition, sub par maps experience, etc. But I don't think another car maker short of Tesla is doing any better with these issues when it comes to a car with this kind of tech. I'd still buy the same car if I were shopping now, and I still smile and love the ride every time I get in it. (It's in the shop right now, and I have almost no joy in my X3 rental).

Plenty of tech issues, but still just a wonderful car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm 100% happy.

Another aspect of people's complaints is that the people who write on here are enthusiasts, who think about cars a lot. I'm 100% happy, but I love cars, and I love thinking about them. Any car I buy is going to involve me doing some Monday morning quarterbacking on the design and execution.

I wish the map in senus kept a higher level of detail as you zoomed out further. I wish that I didn't kind of squish the side of my seat getting in and out. But if those are the type of things that will make you disatisfied with a car, then you are going to live your whole life without ever being satisfied. I had little pet peeves with my 5 series and with my prior Volvo. In fact, I have pet peeves with the design of most things that weren't custom made for me. If you're into gear, and you are thoughtful about the design and functionality of your things, hen you probably are too. The iPhone is probably one of the most celebrated deisgns in recent history, yet there are features of it that bug me. The xc90 I think will also go down as a watershed car design, but that doesn't mean that there aren't little things that one or two people won't like and then complain about on the Internet. That doesn't mean that it's not a wonderful car.

That also isn't meant to describe the people who have had huge problems. Those aren't minor quirks and I sympathize with you deeply. That being said, those are also obviously anomalies. It's like having a waitress at a very expensive restaurant spill a tray of food on you. It's regrettable, and no one would blame you for not going back to that restaurant, but you can hardly say that it's an expected part of the experience.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll say this...we love the car; just wish it functioned. Baring mechanical/software issues; it's an awesome ride.
I'm 100% happy.

Another aspect of people's complaints is that the people who write on here are enthusiasts, who think about cars a lot. I'm 100% happy, but I love cars, and I love thinking about them. Any car I buy is going to involve me doing some Monday morning quarterbacking on the design and execution.

I wish the map in senus kept a higher level of detail as you zoomed out further. I wish that I didn't kind of squish the side of my seat getting in and out. But if those are the type of things that will make you disatisfied with a car, then you are going to live your whole life without ever being satisfied. I had little pet peeves with my 5 series and with my prior Volvo. In fact, I have pet peeves with the design of most things that weren't custom made for me. If you're into gear, and you are thoughtful about the design and functionality of your things, hen you probably are too. The iPhone is probably one of the most celebrated deisgns in recent history, yet there are features of it that bug me. The xc90 I think will also go down as a watershed car design, but that doesn't mean that there aren't little things that one or two people won't like and then complain about on the Internet. That doesn't mean that it's not a wonderful car.

That also isn't meant to describe the people who have had huge problems. Those aren't minor quirks and I sympathize with you deeply. That being said, those are also obviously anomalies. It's like having a waitress at a very expensive restaurant spill a tray of food on you. It's regrettable, and no one would blame you for not going back to that restaurant, but you can hardly say that it's an expected part of the experience.
Good stuff... maybe 100% satisfied is a stretch for any car. There's always something that can be improved....but quirks and glitches are one thing, I just don't want my family stranded on the side of the road. My dealer offers to pickup & drop off a loaner at my house for service, so that helps the unknowns.

What's the opinion on how long the platform can be upgraded? Is it expected that MY16 versions will get "all" software updates that come in 2017+?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I was happy, but then my R Design got dirty going over a pass with soft, deep ruts in Vermont. Now I am happier. Although not happy at all about using my snow tires as muds in December.
I had my heaviest load yet on the way up and avg'd 20.7 mpg. (mostly HWY but with some climbing and back roads). Then 22.7 on the way back with a much lighter load. Just under 200 miles each way. No complaints.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I was happy, but then my R Design got dirty going over a pass with soft, deep ruts in Vermont. Now I am happier. Although not happy at all about using my snow tires as muds in December.
I had my heaviest load yet on the way up and avg'd 20.7 mpg. (mostly HWY but with some climbing and back roads). Then 22.7 on the way back with a much lighter load. Just under 200 miles each way. No complaints.
THIS is what I'm talking about... great post.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts