SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok all you N/A people, speak now or forever hold your piece. to turbo or not to turbo, that really is the question. i have a 2.3 ('83) stock puppy and would like some more umph out of it. i recently posted about who's cam to use but what i'd really like to know is it it feasible to get good performance without having to slap a turbo on it?

from what i can deduce, a good cam (advanced), well done head, injectors, intake and exhaust are all basics but will that really put me in the 170-200hp range??

just stinkin-thinkin at the moment so any and all help would be great. constructive criticism allowed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, so i am looking for some happy middle between slug-bug and something that tears my face off. yes, perhaps a turbo would be easiest and cheaper, but would longevity suffer? and then we get into the argument of who has the better turbo and whos penis is bigger and blah blah blah, stuff i don't know or care about or both. i'd be interested in something that is fun to drive and will last another million miles; that won't win every drag race but won't leave me twittling my thumbs at the light either. sometimes i hate being a Gemini, i can't make up my mind

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Get the puppy in top shape relative to replacing worn components, good tune and solid reliability.

Then do the Turbo+ upgrade using as-new/rebuilt components.

Next up would be a street cam to compliment the turbo, computer-adjustable timing and water injection.

Follow that with a compatable header/exhaust, sport springs, poly bushes, oversized throttlebody, bars and monster lights.

Swap the AT for a 5-speed, lock on some 17" wheels running 225-45s then upgrade the fronts to Baers.

Some folks prefer a locker diff with all this torrque others like to watch it spin.

George Dill

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
From what I've seen here and on TB, if done properly a turbo is reliable if you don't go too wild. If you're looking for driving pleasure with decent speed, though, your steps should be as follows:
1. Train the driver - take a good advanced driving school and you'll find that your car is a fair bit quicker ... especially in the corners. :D
2. Up-grade the suspension for better handling and ... see above.
3. Engine up-grades - with your much improved driving skills and a good suspension set-up you will now be able to use the increased engine power, and go even quicker without killing yourself. :thumbup: Remember this: straight lines are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers. :p

·
Registered
581 Posts
If I want power I hop in my T5 ;) I couldn't imagine why I would want to make my 240 faster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts