SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My momo shift knob has an option for an integrated one-piece knob/boot.

I was just wondering if it is possible to fit the boot behind and under the bottom cover that has the shift numbers on it? And how does that cover come out?

Also, how do you think it would look?

I just got an email from the company that I ordered just the shift knob from and they don't have any in stock. A week to tell me that?? I will be canceling with them today. Idiots!!

·
Super Moderator
14,838 Posts
I would cut the boot off of the knob before I would try to slip it over top of the existing plate. IMO, the brushed aluminum look is far hotter than a shift boot.

·
Administrator
55,950 Posts
Re: Is a shift boot possible? (pie_ya)

I was considering something similar -- I think it would be interesting to see a stylish booth & knob -- throw in a short shift kit and it would be a nice package.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Is a shift boot possible? ([email protected])

Nobody makes a short shift kit that I know of. Never had one on any car that I owned.

Quote »
I think it would be interesting to see a stylish booth & knob -- throw in a short shift kit and it would be a nice package.
Evolve? Are you listening?

Anybody know how that cover comes off and how it would look to just cover up that with a shift boot?

BTW, phuz...you can buy the knob and boot separately or integrated together. That would be silly to buy the integrated part and cut the boot out.

·
Super Moderator
14,838 Posts
I agree...I wasn't sure if they did or not...I was just assuming no because of the picture; its a sweet knob though

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Is a shift boot possible? (vizwiz)

Come on...you don't like cobras? LOL

Thanks for your honest opinion. I like the knob by itself better, as well. Even the separate shift knob added looks better than that.

FYI, don't buy anything from Racing Dimensions...I have been trying to call them to cancel and they don't answer their phones. Jerks!!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

I'm looking into the SPARCO boot with the blue stitching to go with the SPARCO Techno knob I currently have. They looka little big but I'll make it fit and look good.

OR

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Is a shift boot possible? (IwantaS60R)

My question: how are you going to fit the bottom of the boot around the shift cover?

That is what I really want to know!!!

MOMO's shift boot looks similar...though I like the separator, or is that part of the knob?

·
Super Moderator
14,838 Posts
I guess it depends if you want it to be permanently secured or not. If so, just use a thin line of epoxy in the inner lining.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

Quote, originally posted by pie_ya »
My question: how are you going to fit the bottom of the boot around the shift cover?

That is what I really want to know!!!

MOMO's shift boot looks similar...though I like the separator, or is that part of the knob?

I am looking to use velcro to adhere the boot to the silver surround (so it's reversible). The top of the boot would be screwed onto the shift knob. Therefore once it's in place one would not see the silver piece (with the etched numbers) at all but only the black molding (with the silly white gear numbers), the boot and the knob.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts

Not only are these pics ugly, but it's fugly! The space-ball is what makes the R an R!!! That's what makes it cool & different!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Re: Is a shift boot possible? (Short Circuit)

Different strokes man...that's what makes this world go 'round.

·
Registered
2019 S60 Pine Gray, M. Brown, Lin. Lime
2,931 Posts

All those boots look silly when they are stretched out like that. Kind of like a bad Halloween costume or something. Remember the outfits worn by the Spacing Guild minions in Dune? They were made from old body bags sewn together. Similar effect.

If you bunch them up over a much smaller vertical distance, as installed in a console, they look OK.

Who's the fashion director here?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Re: Is a shift boot possible? (Short Circuit)

Quote, originally posted by Short Circuit »
The space-ball is what makes the R an R!!! That's what makes it cool & different!

You mean, "That's what makes your "R" look like every one else's "R".

I think you should do it, take some pictures, then ask the question.

Modified by steamboatsig at 5:18 AM 3-16-2006

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Re: Is a shift boot possible? (ljjones)

Quote, originally posted by ljjones »

All those boots look silly when they are stretched out like that. Kind of like a bad Halloween costume or something. Remember the outfits worn by the Spacing Guild minions in Dune? They were made from old body bags sewn together. Similar effect.

If you bunch them up over a much smaller vertical distance, as installed in a console, they look OK.

Who's the fashion director here?

interesting point, might look better installed. at least until all of the crumbs and poop start collecting in the folds...

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Is a shift boot possible? (vizwiz)

Another thing is that the distance from below the knob to the lettered-cover is only about 5-6 inches (it looks like).

They will definitely be bunched up if you go with a 8-10 inch boot.

I am thinking of only doing a thicker tube to slide over the shift knob shaft and a different MOMO ball knob that I like. (If I can get ahold of the idiots at Racing Dimensions to cancel my order).

Though, I would definitely like to see how it looks with a boot. Lots of opinions, but I am going to wait until I see how it looks.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

Not being a fan of the space ball, I had to try it to at least see how it would look. BTW, the boot is not as big as the pictures in my previous post .

·
Registered
1,814 Posts

Interesting. I think the boot should somehow stay inside of the shift pattern surround. It looks to wide around the bottom. But that is my opinion.

The blue stitching looks perfect!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Re: Is a shift boot possible? (steamboatsig)

Quote, originally posted by steamboatsig »
Interesting. I think the boot should somehow stay inside of the shift pattern surround. It looks to wide around the bottom. But that is my opinion.

The blue stitching looks perfect!

Thanks for the feedback and I had the same thought, sort of. This was my first stab at it and the thing is that this is completely customisable. I can reduce the size by about 1/8" - 1/4" on all sides. It's also completely reversible in case I change my mind.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.