SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase this 2006 v70r and it has 240k miles. Single owner apparently highway miles, rims look like they werent beat up, no rust, and that interior looks like someone light or small drove it cause the seats are in amazing shape. I have been researching lots about this car and i have a lift and can do all my own work. It doesnt bother me that much about the mileage and I dont mind spending money on worn items. I am just seeing if anyone should talk me out of it.

·
Registered
2004 V70R Titanium with Atacama & 2006 XC90
28 Posts
The Atacama interior looks in wonderful shape for the mileage. I have on with 160k on the clock and it’s getting expensive to maintain. But if the service history is good you should have many more miles in that one. How much was this selling for if you care to share?

·
Registered
2011 XC70 3.2L
98 Posts
I would say go for it if you like it. Highway miles are generally easy on the engine and trans and driven components, it looks great!

Plug in a diagnostics dongle and check for codes make sure nothing suspicious pending or history that they just cleared before showing you. Pull dipstick check the oil, make sure it isn’t burnt smelling, or sludge and is relatively fresh and doesn’t smell of gas. If looks fresh and smells a little gassy maybe a PCV issue which isn’t horrible jobwhile in there look at timing and serpentine belt for wear. Personally if engine bay is clean as showroom I’m always a little suspicious as well tht maybe hiding something but that’s not always the case. Also look at the tires see if any uneven wear to indicate is maybe issue with either the alignment or geometry maybe messed up.. if it’s uneven wear, I would ask to have a personal mechanic you trust look at it, get their option if parts are origin and if they thing it was repaired crash or not. If they refuse to let you take it to your mechanic on a test drive to put it on a lift and make sure it’s solid and safe then maybe hiding something.

Take it for a shake around the block see how steering and gears shift and brakes feel then on the highway give it a few hard pulls make sure it’s straight and true and doesn’t make any odd sounds or pull to left or right.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately its kinda far away from me and it would be shipped so i cant test alot of things. I will be getting the carfax and maintinance history and a video of the engine running from cold start. The engine bay looks like its never been cleaned which is good and bad haha. They claim that they are new tires all around, it reall y doesnt bother me if day 1 i have to put a grand in parts into it cause its a reasonible deal he wants about 5k, which to me is prob high for the mileage but at the same time the car just looks like its in great cosmetic shape. Its super hard to fix interior or major body issues, but mechanical things are easy peasy to me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Unfortunately its kinda far away from me and it would be shipped so i cant test alot of things. I will be getting the carfax and maintinance history and a video of the engine running from cold start. The engine bay looks like its never been cleaned which is good and bad haha. They claim that they are new tires all around, it reall y doesnt bother me if day 1 i have to put a grand in parts into it cause its a reasonible deal he wants about 5k, which to me is prob high for the mileage but at the same time the car just looks like its in great cosmetic shape. Its super hard to fix interior or major body issues, but mechanical things are easy peasy to me.

View attachment 122023
Coming from someone who has a 07 S60R I wouldn’t buy it if I can’t see it in person before that will always bother me.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That interior looks really nice. If you’re capable of doing all the work on the car and willing to potentially spend a little cash I’d jump on that.

Things to check:

T-belt history
Pcv service history/glove test
4c struts leaking/chassis service light on?

There are other expensive issues that can crop up but those are all simple to check. The 2.5 block is known to crack at high, or any mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply's, if timing belt is unknown ill just do it anyway, and if the 4c struts leak ill get new ones. Same with Pcv system if it needs to get done then doesnt bother me. With all my searching it seems to be the hardest to find a v70r with a nice interior, and this one is as nice as ive seen within reason.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Mine has 230k miles on it and for all intents and purposes is running great (other than stuff that I messed up myself, or the previous owner messed up). I'd echo the above, if it's been taken care of it should be great or at least manageable.

·
Registered
2011 XC70 3.2L
98 Posts
It’s all about how much it costs upfront. Get it for the right price and many of those hidden issues that can kill those engines or be incredibly expensive to fix don’t matter because they can be easily budgeted in. Specially true when buying online sight unseen just photos of it and taking owner’s word for everything.

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
I'd have YOLO'd it but I'm also clearly the wrong person to ask...

·
Registered
510 Posts
HA! Half of all posts now are 'how much is my R worth' or 'should I buy' or something about new owner/ car flipper doing a free survey from R owners....but you seem to be legit at first post - describing I HAVE LIFT - jebus what lucky AF person has a lift at home. A real hydraulic lift or something else?

I'd spend $5K if autotragic; more $$ if M66. 06 tranny posts on swedespeed.. Search them. Use google. Should be fine - go for it man. Be sure that some kooky R superfan is searching for this car on craigs/ etc. GL

I've owned 2 R's, one SR and one VR - both M66. About 230K miles driven total and I drive the ever loving piss out of these cars. The wagon is slower, fatter, handles meh but the only volvo to own IMO. The only reason for me was the manual tranny way back in the day. Wagon w/ manual. Go find one now!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We have a mohawk 2 post hydro lift, whats really nice about it is yo ucan use it with any head height, since we only have 10.5ft. Theres no wires its just a hydraulic line going from one side to the other.

Yea ive read alot about as much as I can and everything tells me its ok, but just making sure. I also kinda want the automatic more because I want to tow my 13ft boston whaler around and a manual is just worse for that. I am not looking to flip, im just looking for a reasonible priced R with a good interior with bonus exterior condition.

We have a 1998 v90 that is my dads winter car and it has nice roof racks. Are there volvo roof racks for a 06? Do they clip into the doors? The v90 has rails on the roof that the roof racks clamp onto. Also if anyone is interested the v90 will be for sale at some point, its only got 124k on it at the moment.

·
Registered
2011 XC70 3.2L
98 Posts
i wish i had a nice lift.. even if basic 2 post lift. my garage at home wouldn't fit them though... probably only go with lift that still has me on crawler under the car in my small space.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We have a mohawk 2 post hydro lift, whats really nice about it is yo ucan use it with any head height, since we only have 10.5ft. Theres no wires its just a hydraulic line going from one side to the other.

Yea ive read alot about as much as I can and everything tells me its ok, but just making sure. I also kinda want the automatic more because I want to tow my 13ft boston whaler around and a manual is just worse for that. I am not looking to flip, im just looking for a reasonible priced R with a good interior with bonus exterior condition.

We have a 1998 v90 that is my dads winter car and it has nice roof racks. Are there volvo roof racks for a 06? Do they clip into the doors? The v90 has rails on the roof that the roof racks clamp onto. Also if anyone is interested the v90 will be for sale at some point, its only got 124k on it at the moment.
I tow my 18ft Hewes flats boat with my 02 XC70. An R would tow it well but the ride height of the R might be annoying towing a boat. For what it's worth you might be better with an XC70 if you want to tow and hey if you want more power get an R manifold and turbo with a Hilton tune or something. Probably be faster than a stock R.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would agree but my trailer isnt very big, I think it has 12'' trims and its not tall at all, i agree a bigger boat the trailer tires get big and the angle would be weird. Also im not taking my boat cross country haha, just down the road.

Also having a lift is great but what happens is we get big projects that take up the lift bay so I have to go to my uncles to use his lift. I know I am spoiled :) You should really look at a mohawk, you can have a low head height and still use them unlike other lifts also I think we picked up ours used for 2k.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts