SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

There is a persistant irritating rattle in my V70 and it comes from the back left hand area and is particularly obvious when I am travelling on country roads which are less smooth, on the motorway, it is not such a problem.

Having checked all of the plastic fittings around the tailgate area, to find that they are all very firm, I have checked the tailgate, it is not loose, open or closed, I have checked under the floor in the storage compartments and where the spare is located, nothing it seems would seem to be contributing to this irritating rattle.

The one thing that I have not checked is the rear wiper motor and assembly, which sits in the void behind the rear carpet in the tailgate.

This is not the first time I have come across this problem, I have had two 850 wagons in the past and both exhibited the same problem. Then I was prepared to accept it, now I am not:mad:

Any help or sensible suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

James.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Have someone ride back there while it's happening and press on things to see if they can at least pinpoint it or even kill it. Sometimes even the tiniest motion can cause a loud rattle. I'm having that problem with my right rear door panel right now, and all it takes is a fingertip touch to stop the noise. I just need to jam some foam behind it but I keep forgetting when I'm not in the car.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Try pulling up the small carpet floor piece, the one that shapes around the fender well. The two small metal clips may be causing noise. Drive around without that in the floor and see if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Also check under the rear of the wagon.
If, for instance, your sway bar bushings are starting to fail, hitting a cartain type of bump at lower speeds can result in a rattling sound which you won't hear (yet) at higher speeds.

While checking that tailgate latch (which also can certainly rattle) look at the edges of it to see if it's worn.
That can cause all sorts of nasty noises even though it may be adjusted properly.
To see if that's the case, if it looks worn, liberally apply some thick grease on the latch. (just remember it's there before you bump your shirt or pants against it, (ask me how I know that)!!!!!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Also you might want to check the condition of the rear top shock mounts, if they are starting to fail they can rattle, ask me how I know ;-)

·
Registered
128 Posts
If there is a squeak at all, it could most likely be the striker on the rear fold-down seats. Throw some electrical tape around the striker and lube up the lock mechanism.

If not, do it anyway since it will squeak eventually!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IRRITATING RATTLE NOW GONE - SILENCE IS GOLDEN.

Thanks to everyone that came up with suggestions and advice on how I might get rid of the irritating rattle in the back of my car.

I have followed all of your advice and luckily found that the noise is not, suspension, brakes, exhaust heat shield, or any other mechanical component in the car; the solution was remarkably simple!!

The irritating rattle was coming from the tailgate area and so today, I took time to disassemble the tailgate in order to sort the problem.

The carpet section, which is a pre-formed piece of something or other includes the plastic housing that covers the wiper motor assembly and runs across the top of the tailgate lid, was the partial source of the problem.

Having prised the pre-formed section away from the steel of the tailgate I successfully managed to break some of the lower plastic clips, of which there are four, the upper ones survived intact.

Anyone who has done this before will know how the pre-formed section is made. It has two legs, one on the left and one on the right, each locate into respective holes in the steel of the tailgate and it was these amongst other things that were rattling.

I wrapped black insulation tape around the legs and around the respective holes; I also put eight very sticky felt pads along the upper edge of the inside glass, where the pre-formed section butts up against the glass, as well as this I put some more sticky pads between the vertical sections of plastic on the inside of the glass, all of these are hidden, so as not to notice from an angle.

I also checked all of the wiring and connectors and placed some more sticky pads where the connectors and wiring came into contact with the steel of the tailgate.

Having broken the lower clips, I was not minded to go to the local dealership to be ripped for the price of four new clips, nor did I want to wait for them to be sent from an internet supplier, so I drilled four small holes through the pre-formed carpet section and into the steel of the tailgate and fixed the whole assembly back with four black self-tapping screws and they look as if they should be there.

I then took the car down our bumpy road and……………………………………………………………………….SILENCE, the rattling noise had gone, bl—dy marvellous. Sometimes you have to be imaginative and persistent and through that persistence you sometimes find the answer.

Thanks to all of you!!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Happy to hear that you got it all sorted out! Nice work!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts