SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 30,000 miles and owned my V70R for 14 months, during this time I have had all the normal problems associated with this engine such as 3,500 rpm hesitations and other hiccups. I got used to these problems and ignored them as being the nature of the beast.
I decided to try something different and change the sparkplugs for the Denso Iridium IKH22, part# 5345. If Ferrari uses these plugs it can't be bad. I have driven 300 miles now and there is a definite improvement.
The engine starts faster and idles smoother. I have yet to experience the dreaded hesitation at 3,500. The engine just seems to run better at all rpm's. I doubt if the full throttle HP is higher, but a test on a dyno would be interesting. I was happy the backfire pops are still there. I am very happy with these sparkplugs and would like to know why there is this improvement. I wish I would have known this from the start over a year ago.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: Iridium Sparkplugs (Harveyd)

One thing to note is that the IKH22 is a 19mm reach pluf which is normal for many Volvos, but not the R. It uses a 26.5mm reach plug...

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Re: Iridium Sparkplugs (JimLill)

Went to NGK's site and got this..

2004 VOLVO S60 R 2.5 L5 FI TURBO
Spark Plug..........Part No...........Stock No...........Plug Gap
Iridium IX............BKR6EIX...........6418............... .032

I wonder if that one would work....

·
Registered
72 Posts

so, forgive me for showing my age here and how long it's been since I've touched a spark plug.

you can't regap it for the R?

19mm is ~39% smaller than 26.5mm. How the heck are they working? Why is he seeing something better?

HunterBoss

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: Iridium Sparkplugs (HunterBoss)

Quote, originally posted by HunterBoss »

you can't regap it for the R?

19mm is ~39% smaller than 26.5mm.

Reach... not gap....

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: Iridium Sparkplugs (Kai)

Quote, originally posted by Kai »

Iridium IX............BKR6EIX...........6418............... .032

That's another 19mm reach plug....

It's interesting that...

- no one is listing it correctly..
- the stock plugs have Volvo fired into the ceramic (see pix above)

·
Registered
72 Posts

okay, sorry Jim, I know I've been accused of not properly reading posts in the past, but what's the difference between reach and gap? Is reach how far into the cylinder the plug goes? I would have thought that would be a different part number then.

·
Registered
400 Posts

I could use a little education on this subject. I know the insides of people very well. Insides of cars are a little out of my experience. Time for a lesson Jim?

·
Registered
5,849 Posts

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Iridium Sparkplugs (HunterBoss)

Reach is the thread length. The R uses longer plugs compared to the older engine's.
About the Denso's, the normal T5 plugs are the IK or IQ22. Maybe the H in the type name is telling something about the thread length.
The gap should be set from factory if these plugs are sold as being brand or car type specific.
I have used the IK22 in my T5 and the one thing I do not like about them is the very fragile electrode. There are a few horror stories going about this tip breaking and wrecking the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
6,564 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JimLill »
That's another 19mm reach plug....

It's interesting that...

- no one is listing it correctly..
- the stock plubs have Volvo fired into the ceramic (see pix above)

Yup, you are right. Check their listing for non turbo engine, they listed the same plug. I guess they just don't have anything for the R.

Seems like the new VQ35 engine found in the new Z also use 26.5mm...there are other plugs also have 26.5mm reach. What are the other specs for the R plugs?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Re: Iridium Sparkplugs (Our R)

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif Thank you. I'm now one step closer to understanding something that JimLill writes.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: Iridium Sparkplugs (Kai)

Quote, originally posted by Kai »

Seems like the new VQ35 engine found in the new Z also use 26.5mm...there are other plugs also have 26.5mm reach. What are the other specs for the R plugs?

The 350Z seems to use a NGK heat range 5 plug whereas the the B5254T3 uses their range 6. I'll assume the T4 uses the same (?). NGK doesn't make a 26.5 for either.

The rest of the specs for the R plug:

Size (threads) = 14mm
Reach = 26.5
Heat range Assumed to be NGK=6, Bosch=7
Gap = settable, probably .044"

There are clues to maker of the Volvo branded plugs, number of insulator ribs, markings on the metal base etc. I don't have one in hand to tell who made them. Eyquem used to make some plugs for them and they're now part of Beru. Neither Beru nor Eyquem list R plugs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok we have "R" racers, Evolve and IPD guys here with hours of track time there has to some concensus as what is the best plug for our cars??

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Check your specs guys. The IKH22 is the long reach. On the invoice they print in bold " DO NOT REGAP, YOU WILL SNAP CENTER ELECTRODE".
So needless to say, I did not regap the plugs. I did put a little antiseize in the threads. Not an easy job to change these plugs, takes about 2 hours. Needed to remove the strut brace and intake pipe.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Harveyd »
Check your specs guys. The IKH22 is the long reach..

That's great news.... too bad they don't state the reach on their specs.... you changed them yourself I guess, so had old/new side by side...

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Harveyd »
I am very happy with these sparkplugs and would like to know why there is this improvement.

I am sure the ffect is the same....

It has long been CW amongst Peugeot 505 Turbo owners that Platinum would not work well. We all found that Bosch Silber worked much the best... why, dunno

Note: Silber is what Bosch called them

1 - 20 of 27 Posts