SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,517 Posts
Re: iridium spark plugs (R_Rated)

gain?!?!?!

I/you will not "feel" gain with just plugs (hey....only the PRO's can feel difference of 2-3hp tops
)

On the other hand: can those "iridium"plugs also withstand the abuse THAT many milage (60000km in EU (37,500miles)) we give our daily driver?
btw...Volvo plugs (for Turbo engines) got some "silver"-plating in them
(and they are cheap even
...costed me for my former/now dad's 2.4T only 35€) hehehe I even didn't charged my dad for parts to do his 110K(km) service during my holidays while I visited him
and working on the car was just fun

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Re: iridium spark plugs (Helmut Ranff)

I installed the Iridium plugs on my car. I actually do think I noticed more smoothness...but not any more power.

and my car had about 30-35k miles on it when I put them in...so it's possible that while my OEM plugs were not bad...they had aged.....and even if I had just replaced them with the OEM plugs, I might have seen the exact same smoothness return.

I think the main benefit to the iridium plugs is that they are supposed to be able to take more abuse...so if you have a modded car, you might get more life out of them..

i woulnd't consider them a horsepower mod.

If you have a low mileage car, forget this. spend you rmoney on an ECU, exhaust, springs, sway bars....any of those mods you will see/feel in immediate benefit from.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Re: iridium spark plugs (23109VC)

Just wondering what you paid per plug for the iridium and what brand did you put in?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
i bought the denso iridum plugs.

i honestly forget what I paid...i think it was like $60 or around there....i bought them via one of the large online places that specialized in plugs...

do a search for denso irdium plugs...i found the place based on a link someone else posted... if you want the park number, I can give it to you.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Re: iridium spark plugs (R_Rated)

I've got the Denso Iridiums; put them in several months ago. There is no gain of any kind, based on my 'butt dyno'. Their benefit, if any, might be longevity.

It didn't cost much to try them out, so I did. But knowing what I do now, I would not go out of my way again to use them. If you're itching to pop in a new set of plugs, just get a new set of stock ones.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
mgotts is right. I also noticed nothing special after putting them in.

maybe on a super duper build up car like Boosted's, or Johanns, or the IPD car..them *maybe* there is some benefit..but for most ofus who are stock or close to stock hp levels....no real benefit.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: (23109VC)

Quote, originally posted by 23109VC »
mgotts is right. I also noticed nothing special after putting them in.

maybe on a super duper build up car like Boosted's, or Johanns, or the IPD car..them *maybe* there is some benefit..but for most ofus who are stock or close to stock hp levels....no real benefit.

Used Denso Iridium IK22 with my 850, ~300 whp, and overall the engine was a bit snappier but also more nervous. The same plugs are currently in my S70 with a build 2.3 engine. Car will be tuned tomorrow, see what it brings with a KKK. I hope to reach 320 engine HP for now.

Always used stock plugs on my V70R.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts