SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else having issues with a current iPod Classic connected via the USB connection not being recognized by the system about half the time? I've seen this on the 2011 and 21012 XC60s. Have not tested with an iPod touch (different operating system than the classic). Usually, just unplugging the iPod and plugging it back in again works but sometimes the iPod needs to be rebooted before the system sees it. Connecting an iPhone over BT works great.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
We have iPod classics in both of our 2012 Volvos running under Sensus 3.0. We have no major problems such as you describe, but there are a couple of quirks: (1) after removing the iPod to add additional content and reinstalling it in the car, it takes a few minutes for the iPod to be recognized, resynced to Sensus, and the updated playlists uploaded; I prefer to use another source for a few minutes while letting the iPod sync continue in the background; (2) the iPod classic will lock up once in a great while, usually after firing in a couple of commands too quickly in succession, and needs to be rebooted. I suspect the latter is a problem with the iPod itself rather than the Sensus 3.0 interface, and IIRC, it can also happen when the iPod is not in the car.

·
Registered
442 Posts
We have iPod classics in both of our 2012 Volvos running under Sensus 3.0. We have no major problems such as you describe, but there are a couple of quirks: (1) after removing the iPod to add additional content and reinstalling it in the car, it takes a few minutes for the iPod to be recognized, resynced to Sensus, and the updated playlists uploaded; I prefer to use another source for a few minutes while letting the iPod sync continue in the background; (2) the iPod classic will lock up once in a great while, usually after firing in a couple of commands too quickly in succession, and needs to be rebooted. I suspect the latter is a problem with the iPod itself rather than the Sensus 3.0 interface, and IIRC, it can also happen when the iPod is not in the car.
I also use an iPod Classic with my vehicle and Sensus 3.0, and I can confirm pretty much the exact same behavior and quirks as Volvobuff reports.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Anyone else having issues with a current iPod Classic connected via the USB connection not being recognized by the system about half the time? I've seen this on the 2011 and 21012 XC60s. Have not tested with an iPod touch (different operating system than the classic). Usually, just unplugging the iPod and plugging it back in again works but sometimes the iPod needs to be rebooted before the system sees it. Connecting an iPhone over BT works great.
I also have the same problem but I'm connecting a iPod nano 6G. The iPod would disappear with stunning regularity. I thought upgrading to SENSUS 3.0 would help but it still disappears. I need to unplug and replug the unit and on occasion, it still doesn't recognize the iPod. Right now, I'm using an iPod touch 2G and works perfectly every time.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Just am FYI - I noticed this when testing the MY13 XC60 RD yesterday.

However, I have this same problem in my 2013 RX350, my 2010 EX35 and in a 2012 E550.

The only car I have not noticed this issues is Audi.

As far as I can tell there are a number of American cars that also do not have this problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Dealer did an IAM upgrade (part number 31285187-6) which has completely fixed the iPod issue. It connects every time now. Very nice change.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Dealer did an IAM upgrade which has completely fixed the iPod issue. It connects every time now. Very nice change.
That's awesome! Would you happen to have the part number on the invoice so the rest of us can request this update from our service writers. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am having the same problem with the same iPod model. It was supposed to be fixed with an update at the 7,500 service last month, but it wasn't. The other problem is with audiobooks on the iPod. The USB connection seems to cause it to randomly skip pieces of the audiobook and you can completely forget about any kind of rewind function. The iPod connection is my biggest gripe about the car, minor in the general scheme of things, but it drives me crazy since I use it every day.

Echoing the post above if there are specifics you can provide on the upgrade it would be great. Not sure what my service people did, but it definitely didn't fix anything. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
It sounds to me that at least some of the intermittent disconnect problems reported by several posters may well be due to the overly large USB socket in the console. Most USB plugs tend to wobble a bit when connected. I would suggest trying a different brand of USB cable or else selectively padding the cable's plug with a bit of tape to fatten it up and make the connection a bit more snug. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
my iphone5 connects 100% of the time perfectly, but my wife's iphone4 will not play via cable, but is fine through BT

·
Registered
38 Posts
my iphone5 connects 100% of the time perfectly, but my wife's iphone4 will not play via cable, but is fine through BT
Mine starts playing with the cable, then switches to the blue tooth after about a minute or so. From the iphone, I can switch it back to the cable by pressing the airplay icon (the square icon with an arrow). But it will repeat this behavior.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Mine starts playing with the cable, then switches to the blue tooth after about a minute or so. From the iphone, I can switch it back to the cable by pressing the airplay icon (the square icon with an arrow). But it will repeat this behavior.
That is quite interesting.

I experienced one bout of my phone not connecting via cable (hope it doesn't become a trend) - but it's disappeared since, and I had 100% success today again. It is very strange

·
Registered
8 Posts
Count me in for having this issue with my MY13 XC60 RD.
The dreaded "Connect iPod" issue is doing my head in.
Nothing worse than driving along on the freeway unplugging and plugging, rebooting and turning things on and off trying to get it running again.
Very disappointed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Interesting! I send in my XC60 for the software update (p/n: 31285187-6) mentioned above. Still, I would get the dreaded "Connect iPod" issue with a 6G iPod nano. But what did solve the issue is to install a tiny 4-port USB hub along with a short 13cm dock cable as pictured below. Now, the iPod is present 100% of the time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts