SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i am sure this has been discussed before but i was having no luck finding an easy answer i.e website links to anything. i want a way to hook up an iphone to my 05 r hu-850 to my head unit for around 100$. (not an fm tramiter)
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
ok i am sure this has been discussed before but i was having no luck finding an easy answer i.e website links to anything. i want a way to hook up an iphone to my 05 r hu-850 to my head unit for around 100$. (not an fm tramiter)
Thanks
Mike
http://www.imiv.ca/cms/

Just about it....Go custom the stock HU sucks.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Get the imiv or GROM.

The IMIV for sure has charging capabilities for the iPhone which the USA Spec does not have. I'm not sure the USA spec even allows the user to track through songs using the OEM buttons on the headunit even since it came out a while ago now. The USA Spec is great if you don't mind just hooking up the iPhone using the headphone jack, though.

And the stock HU is awesome. :) Especially compared to other stock systems in cars of this class.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I have the GROM and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Replace the head unit its easier then you think :) I work at stereo king in portland or and have done quite a few and its better then any band aid ipod adapter you can buy

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch!

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Get the imiv or GROM.

The IMIV for sure has charging capabilities for the iPhone which the USA Spec does not have. I'm not sure the USA spec even allows the user to track through songs using the OEM buttons on the headunit even since it came out a while ago now. The USA Spec is great if you don't mind just hooking up the iPhone using the headphone jack, though.

And the stock HU is awesome. :) Especially compared to other stock systems in cars of this class.
This is just plain wrong. The USA spec charges my iPhone (4 and 4s) and I can cycle through tracks with the OEM buttons.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
This is just plain wrong. The USA spec charges my iPhone (4 and 4s) and I can cycle through tracks with the OEM buttons.
I think the main problem with the US spec adapter is the sound quality because the aftermarket options are not much less expensive. Also, anything besides the OEM head unit just looks bad in my opinion.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I think the main problem with the US spec adapter is the sound quality because the aftermarket options are not much less expensive. Also, anything besides the OEM head unit just looks bad in my opinion.

I had poor sound quality when I first installed my USA Spec. This was resolved by fixing my ground (solder).

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Replace the head unit its easier then you think :) I work at stereo king in portland or and have done quite a few and its better then any band aid ipod adapter you can buy

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch!
+1

Back in 2010 Apple changed their requirements for charging ipods and iphones. thus in 2011 there was a wave of "new" ipod chargers because of that incompatible charger message. if you had a older USA Spec, Grom, Dension, PAC ect then there was issues. never units updated to work on Apples latest firmware should, key word is should work without any problems. So for the most part blame Apple for your problems :p

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks everyone! i think grom is the direction i am going

·
Registered
514 Posts
I love my iMiv! Simple to install, great sound quality, I can use the steering wheel controls and the artist and song titles scroll across the HU-850. It also charges my iPod and iPhone 4S and I ran the line through the side cubby hole to the left of the HU.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts