SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd be very interested in seeing what people are using for iPhone mounting solutions? I am looking for something that is as clean looking as possible, positions the phone somewhere that is reasonably in the driver's line of sight, and where I can run USB charging cable without being too unsightly. Details, photos and product links are much appreciated.

Some solutions I have used in the past in other vehicles:

Until the native Sensus navigation is substantially improved or there is a solution for Waze via CarPlay (however unlikely this may be), I will continue to utilize Waze in my XC90 via my iPhone. Therefore a proper mounting solution that doesn't ruin the aesthetic of this vehicle is very important to me.

I will continue to add to this thread as I do my research, and encourage others to to the same.

I have a standard sized iPhone 6S, but others have expressed interested in Plus solutions.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Ask and ye' shall receive, lol.

Mine is not anything great, but it puts the phone where I want it for watching live tv/news broadcasts while waiting for my wife/son and in the car. (I have unlimited data on my phones plan)

You can see once plugged into the USB port in the center console you just have to tuck the wire under the lip and run it around, under the steering column, and then up the door jam into the corner of the A pillar. The mount is easily removable and can be taken into other vehicles if need be. I took it with me to two trips to Orlando. Also, the square of steel is supposed to mount to the phone that allows it to 'stick' to the magnet in the holder on the windshield... I just taped it to the inside of my phones case and then put the phone in the case. That was it isn't actually stuck to the phone itself.

Mount flipped up to magnetically hold phone:

Here's the mount flipped down, which I never do, but if some people like it a bit more 'out of the way' when not in use...

Here's what it looks like with my iPhone 6 Plus mounted on it (yes, it is a pretty big phone so keep that in mind)

Only part of the cable that is seen as it comes out of the center console, the rest is tucked under all the way to the next pic

And here you can see just a little bit of the wire as it is tucked in the door jam as it runs up to the dash (sorry for not rotating the picture):

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I see the link Tibits provided is not working to the ebay auction where I bought my mount. Here it is on Amazon but I spent no where near $50. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Drive-One-Touch-Smartphone-Mount/dp/B00KNU9L1Q I got mine on ebay, new, for $17.49 (N Logitech [+] drive Universal Dashboard/Windshield Smartphone Car Mount)

Also, here's the USB cable I bought on Amazon. I liked that it had a braided jacket: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YA6YNIA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00 (Cambond® Braided Apple MFI Certified iPhone Cable 10ft - Black)

·
Registered
81 Posts

Mine is not anything great, but it puts the phone where I want it for watching live tv/news broadcasts while waiting for my wife/son and in the car. (I have unlimited data on my phones plan)

You can see once plugged into the USB port in the center console you just have to tuck the wire under the lip and run it around, under the steering column, and then up the door jam into the corner of the A pillar. The mount is easily removable and can be taken into other vehicles if need be. I took it with me to two trips to Orlando. Also, the square of steel is supposed to mount to the phone that allows it to 'stick' to the magnet in the holder on the windshield... I just taped it to the inside of my phones case and then put the phone in the case. That was it isn't actually stuck to the phone itself.

Mount flipped up to magnetically hold phone:

Here's the mount flipped down, which I never do, but if some people like it a bit more 'out of the way' when not in use...

Here's what it looks like with my iPhone 6 Plus mounted on it (yes, it is a pretty big phone so keep that in mind)

Only part of the cable that is seen as it comes out of the center console, the rest is tucked under all the way to the next pic

And here you can see just a little bit of the wire as it is tucked in the door jam as it runs up to the dash (sorry for not rotating the picture):
I was just wondering how these mounted phones will work once Carplay comes along.

I think that once Carplay connects to the phone, it blocks it.

I have an iphone 5s and I intend to get the Carplay upgrade on week 48.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Mine is not anything great, but it puts the phone where I want it...
Great. Thanks for posting.

Brodit is a Swedish based company making good quality mounting brackets.
Yep, same company/product as ProClip.

I was just wondering how these mounted phones will work once Carplay comes along. I think that once Carplay connects to the phone, it blocks it.
Until Carplay proves itself worthy, one could just power the phone from the 12v outlet with a USB adapter.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have used ProClip mounts in many vehicles and agree it is an excellent solution. My once concern in regard to the XC90 is the height of the Center and Angled mounts (http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-mounts/vehicle/volvo/xc90/2016.cmsv). I wouldn't even consider their Console Mount. I wish there was a ProClip solution that was positioned to require less time with eyes off the road. For this reason Paradox's solution is quite attractive.

With lukewarm reviews of Apple CarPlay so far, and no solid observations of improves Sensus navigation, a solid iPhone mounting solution becomes even more critical.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Amazing that in this day n age a phone mount doesnt realy come as a standard...guess its the 2020 nobody killed 'target' in accidents anymore...

XC70 2011 D5

·
Registered
241 Posts
I purchased this on Amazon; http://www.techmatte.com/Mount-VTMG

I don't mind putting this on this vent because I don't actually use it, I usually leave the one by the window open and it's enough to make me comfortable so if you are like me this is a great iPhone mount for your XC90. Cheap and unobtrusive.

Here's more photos, sorry just took em a minute ago and it's dark:

I followed Paradox's example (thanks Paradox!) and tucked the cable under the leather upholstery by the center console.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts

Must have something for the 16-XC90?!

Check this out:

http://www.brodit.com/product.html?id=855099&pn=prod&brand=Volvo&model=XC90&year=2016

Here you have the base... The holder (depends on phone) screws on easily...
Quality pics not the best I realise.

Plug n play. Sweet solution, I have the Brodit clip as seen on the first better quality pics above. Very stable and Scandinavian solid. The other holders break after 2 months, be honest.

Good luck

[2011 XC70 D5 Polestar]

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Plug n play. Sweet solution, I have the Brodit clip as seen on the first better quality pics above. Very stable and Scandinavian solid. The other holders break after 2 months, be honest.
I have used ProClip/Brodit in the past and have been very satisfied as well. My concern is that all of the XC90 mount options are too low and out of the driver's line of sight. The mount position in the XC70 is much more practical.

I'd love to heat any firsthand opinions if anyone is using this solution in the new XC90.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just ordered one for my iphone 6
Will post once installed

Did you get the ProClip installed yet? Would love to see photos. I did notice on their site they say not available to ship to the US?.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 142 Posts