SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, my husband decided to surprise me with a Certified Used V60 - traded in my trusty old Ford CMax behind my back. First of all, I'm incredibly unhappy with the lack of decent navigation on this car - it doesn't have Sensus Navigation, it has some dreadful maps thing that doesn't do voice directions. This is completely unsafe, and it would cost over $1,000 to put in Sensus Nav, which is not going to happen.

Here's my real problem - if I plug my iPhone into the car usb port to charge it, my iPhone doesn't speak. I am often on the road all day and have always depended on turn-by-turn voice navigation in my cheap, little Ford. It was GREAT navigation. I'd use my iPhone Maps with no problem if I could plug it in and keep it charge, and use Maps, but if it's plugged into the car, it doesn't give voice directions. If I unplug it, it gives me voice directions. I cannot be on the road all day using iPhone maps without having it plugged in to keep it charged. I need voice commands and on a 600 mile road trip, I need my phone to stay charged, because Maps suck the life out of the phone battery.

So, how can I have my iPhone plugged into the car to maintain a charge and still have it speak directions to me from its Maps app? I cannot be looking at a screen map while hurtling down the highway. It's not only unsafe, it's illegal to so much as hold a phone while driving in many places. Or is this just one more reason for me to hate this car?

I've tried it with bluetooth turned on, bluetooth turned off, and the phone still doesn't have a voice as long as it's plugged in. It doesn't speak through the car radio, either. What else can I try? I refuse to spend over $1000 to have them stick an update into the car to get Sensus Nav.

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
Maybe try the Car Play app to see if it helps? I am not an iPhone user though.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
2018 should have Bluetooth and Apple CarPlay?

If you’re connecting directly to the car’s USB port and for some reason the car doesn’t have CarPlay then it may be connecting to the car in iPod mode. Plug the iPhone into a cigarette lighter adapter and pair it to the car with Bluetooth.

If you have CarPlay, use CarPlay, it’s vastly better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, partridge and FusionRedXC60 - thank you for your replies. The cheap-assed, low-end V60 that my husband stupidly bought doesn't have CarPlay. I think he was so enamored of the bucket seats that kill my back that he didn't look any further than the seats that are great when you're really tall, but not an average-height woman. I'm 5'6", and I can barely see the hood of the car with the seat jacked all the way up and so close to the steering wheel that I have to have it tilted the steering wheel up as far as it will go. Who on earth is this car made for? 6'4" giants like my husband?

I've sent for a cigarette lighter adapter, and I hope that works. I don't care if my voice commands come over the phone or the radio, as long as I have voice commands.

Current - 2018 Certified Used V60. I hate this car. I despise this car. My idiot husband traded in my car without so much as showing me this piece of crap. He's going to be in the naughty seat until I'm rid of this horrible thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts