SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I preordered an iPhone 5 and expect to get it on Sept 21st so i'll report back on how it interfaces with the s60. I hope bluetooth works a little better than it does on my 4S. Audio streaming works great but the phone BT is occasionally so staticy, you can't hear the other person (although they say I sound fine). Also reading with the new dock connector, iPod out is no longer supported, wonder how that will affect the car when plugged into USB. We'll find out soon enough...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I preordered an iPhone 5 and expect to get it on Sept 21st so i'll report back on how it interfaces with the s60. I hope bluetooth works a little better than it does on my 4S. Audio streaming works great but the phone BT is occasionally so staticy, you can't hear the other person (although they say I sound fine). Also reading with the new dock connector, iPod out is no longer supported, wonder how that will affect the car when plugged into USB. We'll find out soon enough...
Will the iPod out function still work with the Lightning adapter that converts it to the old connector? Or even with a Lightning USB cable?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Im reading the apple website. And according to what im reading on the apple store

Lighting to 30 pin adapter:
"This adapter lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Support for analog audio output, USB audio, as well as syncing and charging. Video output not supported."

Lighting to Usb (included with iPhone5 and later apple devices):
"This USB 2.0 cable connects your iPhone or iPod with Lightning connector to your computer's USB port for syncing and charging or to the Apple USB Power Adapter for convenient charging from a wall outlet."

Since ipod mode is specifically mentioned with the adapter, it sounds like you will need the adapter or Volvo drops a software update to fix comparability.

My Google searching is also leaning toward the adapter.

The only way to really know at this point would be to try your luck on the 21st. In theory ipod mode should work without it. in theory.

Forgot to mention, car sterios use ipod mode, not usb audio.

·
Registered
950 Posts
"iPod Out" is not audio out. It's used by BMW and other car makers to interface the iPod to their HU's. Question is, does Sensus use "iPod out". There has been a lot of confusion about this. If you need a "line out" audio feed, you need the adapter, which costs $30 because there is a chip in there. If you play through your USB port, I think, I hope, you are going to be OK as it's just a "digital out". I think Apple expects most people to use BT Audio.

Personally I use all of my old iPods like their a "NAS" to play music in the vehicle and my new iPhones to, you know, make calls and stuff. That means I'm having to update 10 iThingies when I buy a new song. But it also means I don't have to plug in my iPhone every time I get in the car/boat/whatever.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I seriously doubt Sensus uses the analog video/audio from that interface. The fact that you plug into a USB port (along with other USB devices) for ipod connectivity confirms that. What remains to be seen is if Apple changed something else with this interface requiring an update from Volvo.

Man I feel for the auto manufacturers now. Perhaps Volvo should have designed Sensus to be updated via the USB port. That way they could release future updates on their website and have owners do the vehicle updates. Sure would be a lot more convenient for both the owners and the dealer's service department by not having to deal with these minor annoyances.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just have to wait and see then.

Secondly, It would be nice if you could upgrade senus from the usb port. They never upgrade senus at the dealers unless its a "problem".

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Hopefully the Lightning-to-USB cable works fine with Sensus. This is what I expect from Apple.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: I plugged it into the USB not only did it NOT work with the iPod interface it didn't even charge? Bluetooth seems fine.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Not even charging is quite strange...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone tried it with iMIV? No iPod Out means it can't be controlled from the HU or steering wheel, but does it at least play music or charge?

·
Registered
123 Posts
It works for Caspamca.

its a shot in the dark, but i wonder if it had something to do with the orientation of your cable. I know its suppose to work regardless. Maybe it wasnt fully inserted.

I assume you can data sync and charge when connected to a computer with it right?

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
No iPod Out means it can't be controlled from the HU or steering wheel, but does it at least play music or charge?
You should be able to do previous / next song. Those options were around long before iPod Out was introduced.

Also, I'm doubting that the iMiV uses iPod out. It probably uses a custom interface and not the iPod Out API based on my limited understanding of how it works.

Since the adapters aren't available yet, I believe no one has been able to test.

And yeah, copper, only Video Out and the iPod Out API are disabled with the lightning adapter according to apple. Everything else *should* work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I connected my iPhone5 via USB/lightning in my 2012 XC60 and everything worked perfectly. Charged, scrolled through my library, displayed songs. Totally A-OK.

When I get the 30-pin to lightening adapter I'll give it a go and report back.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll check it out tomorrow, quite possibly connector wasn't in all the way on the phone side. Loving the device though. Verizon LTE is incredibly fast.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you, Matt, for helping me understand how imiv works. I'm eager to switch to Verizon, but I will be patient and wait until someone tries it. I could keep my iPhone 4 and use as an iPod in the car if all else fails, but it would be nice to still be able to stream Internet music like Pandora.

·
Registered
47 Posts
iPhone 5/iOS 6 working fine with 2012 S60 & Sensus 3.0

Hi Folks,
I wanted to post and let you know that the iPhone 5 works fine. I have a 2012 S60 w/ the Senus 3.0 update. I've used my iPhone 5 in both Bluetooth A2DP mode and with the Lightning USB cable. Through the USB interface, Sensus can browse all the playlists and albums...no change from iPhone 4/iOS5 functionality. The D2A is being performed by the stereo, not the phone, so sound quality is very good.

Using an app like Sticher to play audio through the "Dock Connector" also works fine, although you only get basic Track Forward/Back and Play/Pause function here (just like in Bluetooth A2DP). My iPhone seems to charge fine, so if others are having problems I would take a look at your cable or try a phone reset.

Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised how well everything works. Controlling the iPhone through the stereo and steering wheel actually seems FASTER than with my previous iPhone 4. This probably has something to do with the upgraded processor or faster flash memory on the new phone.

If anyone has any question, I'll do my best to test/answer for you; just reply here or DM me.

-TheWilbur

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So the phone DOES work & charge, I just didn't have the phone connector in all the way. However, in iPod mode the audio defaults back to bluetooth after about 20 seconds. It did this on the 4S too. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 36 Posts