SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just got a new MY21 XC90 Inscription Pro with a built-in wireless charger, so I turned it on and put my iPhone 12 on the pad to charge and the phone briefly pinged and showed the battery level, but the XC90 screen showed an error message about clearing other objects on the plate and stopped charging. Tried this multiple times with the same result, including turning the wireless charger off/on.

As there are no other objects on the plate and an iPhone SE2 charges ok on there, I'm assuming this is something to do with the Magsafe magnets in the iPhone 12 causing an issue.

Anyone else got any experience of this? Is there a way to turn off that warning?

Thanks,

David.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I ran into the same issue on a 21 loaner I drove last week, the warning is super annoying and I am happy to return that car to dealer

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Hi,

Just got a new MY21 XC90 Inscription Pro with a built-in wireless charger, so I turned it on and put my iPhone 12 on the pad to charge and the phone briefly pinged and showed the battery level, but the XC90 screen showed an error message about clearing other objects on the plate and stopped charging. Tried this multiple times with the same result, including turning the wireless charger off/on.

As there are no other objects on the plate and an iPhone SE2 charges ok on there, I'm assuming this is something to do with the Magsafe magnets in the iPhone 12 causing an issue.

Anyone else got any experience of this? Is there a way to turn off that warning?

Thanks,

David.

Same problem. No solution.

But I always use the phone with Apple Car Play, so I don't see the point of the charger. We tried to have it removed and the dealer would not do it. It eats up a lot of (very little available) space in the center console and, frankly, it is ugly as sin. I mean, you have all these beautiful materials, the crystal shifter, the leather, the nice wood trims... and, in the middle of it all, industrial-grade thick rubber. Sure, looks are not a huge deal... but space is.

Anyhow, I have never used the mat before, and I won't be using it going forward. But yes, that message is annoying.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
FWIIW, the problem is not limited to the Volvo built-in wireless charger. I have third-party wireless chargers in both my 2018 V90 and 2020 V60, and my newly-acquired iPhone 12 minis will not charge on either of them. They do charge nicely on several Logitech Qi table top chargers, however. So apparently some legacy wireless chargers will work with iPhone 12s and others will not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Likely due to the additional magnets that Apple added to the device which maybe is confusing the car? I wonder if added a case changes anything?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
This is very discouraging to hear. I have both a 2021 S60 and and iPhone 12 Pro on order, and apparently I won't be able to charge the phone. I was really excited to be able to just lay it on and charge it up while I ran around with quick errands. Often I do not use Apple CarPlay, I just want to charge and not plug in.

Seems crazy to have brand new, state of the art products and they won't work together.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Likely due to the additional magnets that Apple added to the device which maybe is confusing the car? I wonder if added a case changes anything?
Nope, I tried charging both without and with a thin case and no go either way With all due respect to Tim Apple, this MagSafe nonsense was a solution in search of a problem. The only advantage is that wireless charging is easier on the battery than wired charging, as it stops when the battery is fully charged, whereas wired charging is constant and weakens the battery over time.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I had a MY21 XC60 as a loaner a few months ago with the new wireless charging pad. It’s design is horrible. My iPhone Xr in an Otterbox Defender case wouldn’t fit onto the pad because it was too wide to fit in. The square space that used to be there is where I usually put my keys and air pod case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same problem here. It’s evidently a problem with some Qi wireless chargers and the iPhone 12. The Qi wireless charger in my Tacoma charges the iPhone 12 without a problem, and my work phone, an iPhone XS, charges without issue in our 2021 XC90. A recent iPhone update was supposed to address this issue, but we’re still having the problem

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Nope, I tried charging both without and with a thin case and no go either way With all due respect to Tim Apple, this MagSafe nonsense was a solution in search of a problem. The only advantage is that wireless charging is easier on the battery than wired charging, as it stops when the battery is fully charged, whereas wired charging is constant and weakens the battery over time.
I believe that is not true anymore - as it pertains to wired charging of Apple products. I am pretty certain you can now set it at cutting off when full and then re-starting below 95%. Then again, I didn't look it up to confirm, to be honest, out of laziness.

I think the only purpose of this MagSafe was to promote a line of in-house accessories using this gimmick. Then again, I am sure third-party products will catch up soon, so I am not even sure it will yield much.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Frustrating because I use Wireless CarPlay so I've been enjoying the ease of using the wireless charger. Although, on long trips, the phone gets too hot to use and thermal throttles so there's that... Even on an iPhone X I've had that "clear obstruction from area" message several times and the phone usually ends up charging anyways.

Wired charging stops charging at 95% and has done for years now, so that point is moot. The point of the MagSafe wireless charging, I believe, is an eventual move to removing every port off the phone entirely.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
lolol. I don't know if one ought to laugh or be angry at this. it seems truly frustrating yet at the same time it is totally a first world problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Thanks,

David.
Same with my 2021 xc60. I did determine that there is nothing wrong with the Volvo charger. My friends apple Xr phone charges on it with no trouble. It’s the iPhone 12. I’ve called Apple support with no resolution. The phone has been advertised as supporting QI wireless charging with no exceptions listed in the advertising.. so all really should work...but Apple has failed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I feel like you could just take that little magsafe charging puck and stick it somewhere and just use that. You could just use 3M and put it right on top of the actual wireless charger :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - new Volvo owner and new to the forum. I have the 2021 xc90 t6 inscription. I was told that apple car play was only possible via wired connection. Do you have wireless apple carplay? If so, what do I need to do to get it? Also, sorry if I am not replying properly. First time poster. Thanks!

Frustrating because I use Wireless CarPlay so I've been enjoying the ease of using the wireless charger. Although, on long trips, the phone gets too hot to use and thermal throttles so there's that... Even on an iPhone X I've had that "clear obstruction from area" message several times and the phone usually ends up charging anyways.

Wired charging stops charging at 95% and has done for years now, so that point is moot. The point of the MagSafe wireless charging, I believe, is an eventual move to removing every port off the phone entirely.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi - new Volvo owner and new to the forum. I have the 2021 xc90 t6 inscription. I was told that apple car play was only possible via wired connection. Do you have wireless apple carplay? If so, what do I need to do to get it? Also, sorry if I am not replying properly. First time poster. Thanks!
Check out my reply in this thread on the XC60 forum. There's an aftermarket USB to wireless carplay adapter that has been working quite well for me but do read the whole thread as it's not been rosy for all.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I use the carlinkit for wireless CarPlay and an aftermarket wireless charger. My new 12Pro charges but I have to set the phone up on the charger so the cameras lens is not on the charger. It works through a case and without. The problem is that if it slides up or down it disconnects charging.

I’m thinking about attaching an Apple MagSafe charger and just resting it in the small area just below the volume control so when I get in the car I can just put my phone there and it will snap into place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just brought home my '21 XC90 T8 Recharge and I discovered this problem before leaving the dealer lot. Total bummer. This one's on Apple. I'm thinking we may not see MagSafe around in the iPhone 13 - or at least there will be some big changes on the hardware side. Reminds me of antenna-gate.

That aside, glad to be part of this community. Not my first Volvo, but my old '05 XC70 can't hold a candle to this XC90! (though, there were some good times in that car).

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The real question is - has anyone figured out how to remove this eyesore - it's both ugly and it takes precious real-estate. This car was already short on storage space... So what does it take to remove the charger?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Apple sucks on this one... they literally broke wireless charging with all these MagSafe magnets.

I have an xc90 and wife has an xc60... wireless was fine with the 11... broken on the 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts