SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what the difference in the 2 down pipes.

is ipd really worth almost paying double for the downpipe

·
2,521 Posts
Obx has no cat and some people have had quality issues but some people had theirs last a long time. You would get better flow and turbo screams with this DP but you may not pass emissions in your state.

I have an IPD one, it has a Magnaflow cat on it and Ive had no fitment problems or quality issues. Welds were really nice. Still gives a mad amount of turbo noise in the cabin

·
2,521 Posts
^^ That one looks to have a different flange, look for another company

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
IPD all day, every day.

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The difference between the OBX vs all the other well made down pipes for our application is simple.

The OBX parts are made cheaper, with cheap labor thus how they can sell for 1/8th the price of some some other units.

The IPD and others use thicker metal on both the pipe and flanges. The IPD unit has a high flow cat built in, so you should be able to pass emissions.

The IPD and other units seem to use a better quality level of Stainless, so less rust (even though the OBX units say stainless, I have seen them start rusting anyways).

You will probably have to work on the OBX parts to make them fit right, a lot of times the flange that bolts to the turbo needs to go on a big flat belt sander to be sanded back down to 100 percent flat again so it will seal right. You also may end up running 2 gaskets between the turbo and down pipe because the OE flange on the turbo has a step/lip on it.

I have used both the cheap Chinese parts and the good quality built stuff on other cars and they both have their ups and downs.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have been to where the IPD DP's are made, and where I bought mine, and the gentleman who fabricates them is top notch. Great shop and he's a Volvo guy himself. Good 'ol USA made product (not sure about the Magnaflow cat though). Emissions will be a breeze.

·
Registered
135 Posts
+1 CJ is a great guy, fabricated here in the U.S., great support and fits perfect....... you get what you paid for.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm rocking the phuzz DP on our '04 V70R. Decent quality for $300 less dollars than IPD. The only negative I can think of is that there are not brackets up in the front of the DP like the IPD unit. That can be added easily though.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
If I recall the down pipe I manufacture is the only one with the flange machined, has the mount for the heatshield, and the hangar mount for the 02 wire. None of the competing down pipes offer these features. The cat I use has successfully passed CA emissions although it's not CARB certified and will not pass the visual. I must also mention, I have never heard one complaint about it not fitting perfectly.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Yeppers, been there, done that several times when I was rebuilding my engine. Ended up getting the non-stainless maximizer instead since I live in a salt/corrosion free area. Needed a few mods to fit right as my refurb thread linked in my sig demonstrates.

·
Registered
594 Posts
the est down pipe fits perfectly and has a mount for the heat shield as well. It is also priced between the obx and ipd at $599.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The difference between the OBX vs all the other well made down pipes for our application is simple.

The OBX parts are made cheaper, with cheap labor thus how they can sell for 1/8th the price of some some other units.

The IPD and others use thicker metal on both the pipe and flanges. The IPD unit has a high flow cat built in, so you should be able to pass emissions.

The IPD and other units seem to use a better quality level of Stainless, so less rust (even though the OBX units say stainless, I have seen them start rusting anyways).

You will probably have to work on the OBX parts to make them fit right, a lot of times the flange that bolts to the turbo needs to go on a big flat belt sander to be sanded back down to 100 percent flat again so it will seal right. You also may end up running 2 gaskets between the turbo and down pipe because the OE flange on the turbo has a step/lip on it.

I have used both the cheap Chinese parts and the good quality built stuff on other cars and they both have their ups and downs.
i ran an obx for 3 years with no issues and it fit perfectly. while the obx may be somewhat less quality, the real difference is the name. its a piece of pipe and they are charging what it should cost.

if anything go with the phuzzy dp. but ipd youre just paying for the reputation.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
i ran an obx for 3 years with no issues and it fit perfectly. while the obx may be somewhat less quality, the real difference is the name. its a piece of pipe and they are charging what it should cost.

if anything go with the phuzzy dp. but ipd youre just paying for the reputation.
And reputation, quality, and dependability are what it's all about. ;)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Only to an extent.
Well, naturally they don't earn those qualities by making crappy, cheap products... ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts