SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a tune for 05 s60r gt with ipd down pipe, ipd exhaust, ipd boost kit, ipd intercooler. Ipd tcv. Im looking for the best drivablity tune

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
I like my IPD/MTE tune, its a good setup when you are keeping the stock turbo, injectors, MAF and are looking to upgrade your power levels with upgraded plumbing.

Hilton also does good work from what I hear here. One nice thing about his tune if you have the manual transmission, they have a launch control option.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
With Automatic you don't need the IPD Stage 2, Stage 2 was designed for Boost Spikes on Manual Trans with downpipe. Automatics aren't as affected by it. IPD told me not to bother as Stage one and 2 with geartronic would effectively be the same. Hilton Stage 2 is a different tune compared to Stage 1 so you will get better performance. Definitely get the Torque Limiter removal or it really won't see like any tune at all. Hilton also offers to upgrade you tune for the difference in price, while IPD you get to buy the whole tune a again. I personally like Hilton for the customizations he will do. I've used both IPD and Hilton and would go Hilton again and again.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I had IPD stage 2 and just switched to Hilton 2.5.

For me, there was a significant difference from stock to IPD. And just as a significant difference from IPD to Hilton.

Much more power (and fun) with Hilton. But, a little smoother (more linear) with IPD and a drop better mpg.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
I was going to get IPD but, they still haven't brought back the softloader.

I went with a Steveo tune. Which is a custom tune. Steveo can set your R up anyway you like.

Regardless this thread is based on personal preference. Like the guys have posted previously there is a bunch a of tune options out there.

You just have to decide. Anyway if your interested both IPD/MTE and Hilton can take the torque limit off of 1st and 2nd since your GT.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
IPD/MTE do not remove the torque limiter cause they dont know how to.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
And how much boost are they making in first gears and how much engine torque does VIDA report when flooring from 1st?

·
Registered
234 Posts
IPD/MTE do not remove the torque limiter cause they dont know how to.
You are wrong yes they can , my limiters have been removed

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Post a video from standing still to end of third gear wot. Then we'll see

Video of boost gauge that is

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
4 years ago when I had my ipd on my 06 gt in 1st gear it boosted 15 psi and once it shifted out of first it jumped to 18-19 psi ..so unless they changed their tune contrast maybe right about ipd tune.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Here is my 0.02

All tunes that are meant for the GT transmissiom (5sp or 6sp) will have some drawbacks. This is due to the fact that the car has a dedicated Tranmission Control Module which monitors inputs and regulates output and torque accordingly.

Even if a tune removes the limiter, it is more complicated. What happens in fact is that it removes the "max cap' of torque preset at the factory. However, it will still adjust the algorithm on the fly to ensure two things:
A. Minimal to no wheel slip
B. Prevent excessive tranmission street leading to damage.

So it is normal to see lower boost levels in the first gears (regardless of GT model) because it calculates the torque on the fly for each acceleration.
Even with my MT 1st gear boost is slightly lowered than the other gears (ECM regulates this).

So theoretically, the limiter is removed but it doesn't mean the car will produce 300tq in every gear every time. Air pressure, temperature, timing, gas quality all come into play and the engine is advanced enough to work in conjuction with the transmission to limit it on its end.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
Post a video from standing still to end of third gear wot. Then we'll see

Video of boost gauge that is
Very simple - call ipd ask Chris if they or mte lie on there website and sales of there stage 2 tune ( they do sponsor this forum ) that should solve this silly debate

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks Viron :partywave: so right -thank you for an excellent explanation - I could not explain it this well

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Awesome. Your reply basically proved my point. I understand its difficult to admit having bought something that doesnt work like it should. I dont need to call anybody. All big name tuners lie. I've seen the evidence.

And Viron, very nice text, but if done properly then ECM will ignore TCM sent torque limiting request in first gears. All other safety limiters still work. Like torque reduction on gear change etc
You can boost 25psi in first gear if tune requests that much, regardless of auto or manual.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Awesome. Your reply basically proved my point. I understand its difficult to admit having bought something that doesnt work like it should. I dont need to call anybody. All big name tuners lie. I've seen the evidence.

And Viron, very nice text, but if done properly then ECM will ignore TCM sent torque limiting request in first gears. All other safety limiters still work. Like torque reduction on gear change etc
You can boost 25psi in first gear if tune requests that much, regardless of auto or manual.
Wow your just to much "all big name tuners lie!" Quite the statement
I did not not buy the tune , another assumption the po did
And yes my tune does exactly what it is supposed to do and I am happy to say I have a mte tune
You seem to have some kind of hate issue , you should resolve that

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
No hate, no worries. Just spreading info that this community has been lacking all these years. Many facts in this forum have been wrong so far...

So how about that video? Prove me wrong or not?

·
Registered
234 Posts
No hate, no worries. Just spreading info that this community has been lacking all these years. Many facts in this forum have been wrong so far...

So how about that video? Prove me wrong or not?
That I can appreciate , there has been a fair amount of misinformation here ( or guess work) off and on in the past
And all aftermarket parts company's are there to make money
No I won't video anything I would have to buy another phone mine is old and cracked like me lol

·
Registered
535 Posts
HILTON!

That's all you need to know.

Just be sure to use the Peirburg with their tune and you're golden. Robert Hilton responds quickly to e-mails and even walked my Indy thru uploading the tune, etc.

Very happy with the Stage 2, highway MPG increased and having the torque limiter removed has made the worlds biggest difference overall.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts