SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure this topic is allowed. But I find myself buying parts from both places. Do you have a preference?

2010 xc90 3.2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
760 Posts
Ditto both, comparison shop. FCP got that lifelong replacement thing, don't know how in the world they can do that!

·
Registered
14,136 Posts
I also use both and a few others as well.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I've bought from ipd for almost 20 years, for multiple cars. They changed ownership a few years ago from the original owner, and it seemed like they had some teething pains from that for awhile, but it seems like they're back in their stride now. They used to be about the only game in town online for a long time, but there are many more now. I've bought from them, FCP (back before it was FCP :)), Tasca and many others. Darrell Waltrip Volvo in TN used to sell parts incredibly cheap, and then decided it wasn't worth being in the online arena anymore. Damn shame.
But many more dealerships are selling now, and that has definitely helped competitiveness. It certainly pays to shop around for anything significant. Volvo of Lisle (IL) gave me an awesome deal on an angle gears a couple years ago, with a price nobody else could (would) touch, the Volvo lifetime guarantee, the shipping they charged me was negligible - and no sales tax ;). I only found it by shopping around.

As was mentioned, FCP has the lifetime replacement, but Volvo does too now.
One of these days, I hope to cash in on a transmission that is definitely covered, just to see the look on their faces :D

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. As far as lifetime warranty, I wonder how many people cash in on that.

2010 xc90 3.2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
745 Posts
I buy from both and have been a long time customer of both. FCP is usually cheaper, but IPD tends to have more products for the enthusiast. Tascaparts is another supplier I use which often beats both of them in price for Volvo branded parts.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I've bought from ipd for almost 20 years, for multiple cars. They changed ownership a few years ago from the original owner, and it seemed like they had some teething pains from that for awhile, but it seems like they're back in their stride now. They used to be about the only game in town online for a long time, but there are many more now. I've bought from them, FCP (back before it was FCP :)), Tasca and many others. Darrell Waltrip Volvo in TN used to sell parts incredibly cheap, and then decided it wasn't worth being in the online arena anymore. Damn shame.
But many more dealerships are selling now, and that has definitely helped competitiveness. It certainly pays to shop around for anything significant. Volvo of Lisle (IL) gave me an awesome deal on an angle gears a couple years ago, with a price nobody else could (would) touch, the Volvo lifetime guarantee, the shipping they charged me was negligible - and no sales tax ;). I only found it by shopping around.

As was mentioned, FCP has the lifetime replacement, but Volvo does too now.
One of these days, I hope to cash in on a transmission that is definitely covered, just to see the look on their faces :D
In a bit of a dispute with Volvo at the moment around this topic of guarantee. I could have sworn I remember reading a thread that clarified that as long as you purchase OEM parts and have them installed by a dealer, then the Volvo warranty persists. Volvo and my dealer are telling me that they have to be purchased from and installed by the dealer.

Do you, or does anyone have experience with this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts