SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This threads intended purpose is for me to share my opinion on IPD's turbo back exhaust for 850/S70. Hopefully this will help those who are on the fence on whether or not to buy. Here goes...

Initial impression after opening the box:

This view is from the tail end of the down pipe.

Catalytic converter

"Transition" from 3" to 2.5"

Inside "transition"

V-band mating surface

Notes:
-Bends look good.
-V-bands are a plus.
-Has a catalytic converter.
-Zero effort has gone into deburring any hole. Leaving drilling chips still attached to pipe.
-Zero effort has gone into cleanup after drilling. Entire exhaust interior is covered with chips that are stuck to bending die lubricant.
-One v-band was welded on with an automated machine (looks great) while the others appear to have been done by someone who was told how to tig weld the morning they made this exhaust.
-The transition from 3" to 2.5" is terrible. It has around 1.25" of pipe sticking through.
-Every V-band mating surface has some form of welding "slag" or arcing paths on them.

Note for IPD:
Item description on website states T409 build material so I was surprised to see SUS304 stamped into the sides of the exhaust. Not a big deal.

In terms of cost you get a lot for your money. V-bands, catalytic converter, O2 harness extender, 304 stainless. This is awesome.

In terms of build quality, there is some to be desired. Debburing and cutting the pipe to correct length are simple tasks that shouldn't add too much to manufacturing cost. At the very least, IPD could open the boxes and clean out all the metal shavings inside and wash the bending lubricant out.

I plan to install this weekend and will update with my findings when fitting it.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Looks like all the new IPd products. Expensive and half assed.

I’d send that back you can get a 250% better system for just a little more. And won’t go deaf either.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like all the new IPd products. Expensive and half assed.

I’d send that back you can get a 250% better system for just a little more. And won’t go deaf either.
In terms of a full turbo back exhaust, who else makes it? (besides Ebay).

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
In terms of a full turbo back exhaust, who else makes it? (besides Ebay).
You buy any of 4 European market cat backs and select any of 3 off the shelf downpipes.

·
Registered
304 Posts
mine is from a few years back, same model though. I like it just fine, but it is indeed pretty darn loud. Depending on who you are that is a good thing or not.
When I really romp on it I find the sounds out of it pretty fantastic. If you want to get noticed, this will do it, the reactions are something along the lines of "that Volvo is making those sounds?"

·
Registered
898 Posts
That looks like crap.

The stainless OBX/MEX kit we put on the wife's 855 a few months ago is much better build quality.

Folks seem to want to harsh on the "drone", but we don't mind it at all.

·
Registered
586 Posts
mine is from a few years back, same model though. I like it just fine, but it is indeed pretty darn loud. Depending on who you are that is a good thing or not.
When I really romp on it I find the sounds out of it pretty fantastic. If you want to get noticed, this will do it, the reactions are something along the lines of "that Volvo is making those sounds?"
Mine is from a few years back too and the quality looks much better than this one, and fit like a glove when installing. I wonder if they changed supplier.

And getting noticed (in a good way) is very true. I have mine mixed with a Japanifold and just this year at different autocross events, I've gotten comments from it sounding like a Lamborghini to a "freight train when the boost kicks in". :D

·
Registered
17,018 Posts
The IPD exhausts used to be made by CJ and those were legit. This looks.........not legit. I have no idea who is making them now. I agree that you should send it back for something better.

Check out this garbage IPD sells you if you want a straight flange....looks like something I could make in my yard.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That straight flange looks terrible. IPD exhausts (this one in particular at least) are all made in Taiwan to the lowest bidder. Same factory that makes the OBX one I assume. Hot garbage.

I put some thought into and and I plan to keep the exhaust. The time, cost of shipping, and restocking fee are too much for me to justify sending it back. I've got some 302 stainless at the shop that I will use to make it better. The down pipe itself is well designed, just sloppy fabrication.

This officially will be the last time I order anything from IPD. Should have listened to fellow enthusiasts but I drank the kool-aid instead and saw with my own eyes.

·
Registered
17,018 Posts
That straight flange looks terrible. IPD exhausts (this one in particular at least) are all made in Taiwan to the lowest bidder. Same factory that makes the OBX one I assume. Hot garbage.

I put some thought into and and I plan to keep the exhaust. The time, cost of shipping, and restocking fee are too much for me to justify sending it back. I've got some 302 stainless at the shop that I will use to make it better. The down pipe itself is well designed, just sloppy fabrication.

This officially will be the last time I order anything from IPD. Should have listened to fellow enthusiasts but I drank the kool-aid instead and saw with my own eyes.
👍 welcome to the party.

I'll have a grand total of ONE part from IPD being used in my 850R project. There are a couple things they have that are still legit but most of it is not anymore.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Yeah, you guys have sort of turned me against IPD as well. I was looking to use this as a quick solution in my wagon project but I'd rather use a good Simons exhaust or something if the quality is this bad now.

The one time I called them, they had my order up already and were really kind, so at least their customer service is good. It's probably so good because they need to give a lot of customer service calls lol due to lower quality parts.

·
Registered
898 Posts

I'm going to have to disagree on the "hot garbage" part. The stainless OBX/MEX kit we put on the wife's car was anything but.

Good welds. Good clean-up. Trouble-free fit. The build doesn't look like the same factory to me. That IPD kit looks like crap.

The only complaints I had with the kits were on the non-stainless version that I installed on my 854. They had a wonky exhaust tip that stuck out too far, and they use mild steel instead of aluminized.
From what I can see, they've fixed the exhaust tip issue, but I wouldn't suggest buying the non-stainless kit because of the material. It does look like they use the same stainless rear muffler though. If you want it to last at all, you need to strip is down and recoat it with something good to protect it. We blasted mine down after about a year and a half and used Cerakote on it. It was a mess. In the long run, it's not worth the price break for the cheaper material.

Add or replace a resonator on the OBX/MEX stuff if the "drone" bugs you.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chuck, I was referring to the IPD kit as hot garbage. Agreed, that down pipe looks a lot better.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Well well. The copy is now better than the original. Holy sh*t.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well well. The copy is now better than the original. Holy sh*t.
Like Kia and Hyundai...Just wrote a product review on Ipd's website. I doubt it will be posted. I was debating on posting this to the IPD performance talk section.

I can get over the fact that I have a terribly made exhaust, but it's how that company is content with offering overpriced garbage and I quote straight from the email they sent me; "... this is pretty typical of the current offering."

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
"... this is pretty typical of the current offering."
And this is why their new production offerings have earned, truly earned them the nickname “I Paid Double”.

Sucks for the community as a whole since IPd WAS a reliable source of quality products before they were bought and bottom line became more important than the customer.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Chuck, I was referring to the IPD kit as hot garbage. Agreed, that down pipe looks a lot better.
Sorry. I guess that's just how I read it. Folks usually harsh on the OBX/MEX kit, but other than the couple issues I noted above, I've been more than happy with them. They also come with both downpipes (Straight and angle).
A couple more pics of the kit on the wife's car in the thread on her car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts