SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the winter I had been getting some fishy boost behavior, mostly inconsistent and less than full boost. Yesterday the weather decided to turn beautiful, with temps in the low 80's. I swapped on my summer tires (yay!) and went for a test drive. About 5 min into the drive after the engine was warm I did a 3rd gear pull. Boost spiked 15 psi, dropped and held at 13, then suddenly dropped back to 7psi which is where I have my wastegate set. Every successive pull held steady at 7 psi. My code reader pulled a P0299 fault (turbocharger low boost, mechanical fault), but no CEL. If I power cycle the car, the boost will momentarily hold at 13psi on the first pull before falling to 7 and staying there. Between the code and the boost behavior, I'm nearly 100% certain that my IPD TCV has gone out...as opposed to, say, a boost leak. There have been tons of reports of the IPD TCV not being up to tuned applications, so it looks like I'll be swapping out for a Phuzz TCV. Does my diagnosis sound correct? I always hate just throwing parts at a problem, so before I drop some $ does anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
370 Posts
ive heard of the same problem with phuzz tcv but is a little better. did your original break?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
ive heard of the same problem with phuzz tcv but is a little better. did your original break?
Where did you hear this? I have the phuzz in my car now also have a ipd unit but it sucks and got the stock one just in case. I would say its the tcv.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
i dont understand why everyone gets the upgrade fever just to find out the upgraded part is no better than the the OE part. if it aint broke, dont break it!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No the original didn't break, the TCV was just the first mod I did because it was so easy. This was before anyone realized that the IPD units were crap though.

Phuzz is out of stock, are there any other HD TCV's out there? I want to head to an autocross this weekend if possible.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts