SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title suggests I am constantly replacing my front and rear sway bushing twice a year. I am starting to wonder is this is because my subframe mounts in the rear are worn and need to be changed. It's really bothersome as towards the 4 month mark I get a lot of banging noises over even the smallest of bumps. It's driving me mad! In front I have the delrin SFB's and have replaced a ton of the bushings in the rear, just not the mounts. ANY help or insight is greatly appreciated!! Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
So as the title suggests I am constantly replacing my front and rear sway bushing twice a year. I am starting to wonder is this is because my subframe mounts in the rear are worn and need to be changed. It's really bothersome as towards the 4 month mark I get a lot of banging noises over even the smallest of bumps. It's driving me mad! In front I have the delrin SFB's and have replaced a ton of the bushings in the rear, just not the mounts. ANY help or insight is greatly appreciated!! Thanks everyone!
Have you tried greasing them more often? I just ran grease lines to mine so I can grease them from the engine bay.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
TristanScott,

Are you speaking about the bushing for the front sway? I am getting a lot of noise from both the front and rear. If a loss of grease is my issue I have the nipples and grease gun to fill them back up but which grease should be used for this application? My assumption is that all purpose silicon would be safe with poly. I could very well be that I need to put more effort into systematically adding it every few months.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
TristanScott,

Are you speaking about the bushing for the front sway? I am getting a lot of noise from both the front and rear. If a loss of grease is my issue I have the nipples and grease gun to fill them back up but which grease should be used for this application? My assumption is that all purpose silicon would be safe with poly. I could very well be that I need to put more effort into systematically adding it every few months.
Yeah you can get greasable bushings, there's a set on Amazon for like 20 bucks. They have a zerk fitting on them. You can then pipe that out if you want. I still need to pipe out the rear ones for easier access
But yeah, my ipd ones were pretty beat after only a year or so. Most of the grease was gone. They need a ton of grease as they're always twisting back and forth. And I don't think it's that big of a deal what grease you use. I'm using some stuff I got from work its water proof high temp stuff.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If the bushings are not rubber, they will work with sliding friction instead of the material mooshing around. (Technical term) Sliding friction is wearing friction.

If you want bushings that last, go with rubber.

·
Registered
291 Posts
TristanScott,

I am using Daystar, Universal Lubrathane and that seems to be getting more life out them for me. I had the same problem with the bushings, but it was more like once per year.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The rubber bushings are bonded to the bar and twist with the bar. That`s why you can`t buy them separate. All the others the bars spin in the bushing and wears them out, polyurethane does not make a suitable bushing without regreasing. At least Elevate has grease nipples installed on their bushing. IPD is just wishful thinking that greasing once is enough. Volvo engineers are not dumb that`s why they bond.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah you can get greasable bushings, there's a set on Amazon for like 20 bucks. They have a zerk fitting on them. You can then pipe that out if you want. I still need to pipe out the rear ones for easier access
But yeah, my ipd ones were pretty beat after only a year or so. Most of the grease was gone. They need a ton of grease as they're always twisting back and forth. And I don't think it's that big of a deal what grease you use. I'm using some stuff I got from work its water proof high temp stuff.

I ended up purchasing Marine waterproof high heat resistant grease and it did the trick. Now I have to see if the front have the fittings on them so I can fill them too. I have other noises coming from the rear passenger side, time to go investigate....

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I go through fronts like a kid does candy. I installed zerk fittings and extensions so I can easily attach a grease gun. 5k miles on the last set and had to replace them... not a fan.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
They twist constantly you have to grease the F out of them. Like way too much grease. All you guys who like every inch of your car to look perfect aren't gonna be happy. Tons of grease. Grease is good.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
I ended up purchasing Marine waterproof high heat resistant grease and it did the trick. Now I have to see if the front have the fittings on them so I can fill them too. I have other noises coming from the rear passenger side, time to go investigate....
You can fill them with a syringe. Just slide the tip into where the bar meets the bushing.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey folks, so I ended up purchasing some marine grease and it did the trick! I guess I need to be more vigilant in keeping up with the bushings. The brackets I got with my first three bushing changes did not have the nipple for adding grease, thankfully last time I was at Ben McNally's place he went in and changed them to brackets that had them. This should make my life and wallet a lot happier! The tough part is getting to the front brackets with the lack of room. Now onto figuring out where some of the other noises are coming from.... yay.....

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I grease the F out of mine and doesn't matter. They just wear too quickly on our lovely roads. I installed grease lines to the zerks on the bushing brackets which make it easy to grease them without jacking up the car - point is I can and do grease them liberally often.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I grease the F out of mine and doesn't matter. They just wear too quickly on our lovely roads. I installed grease lines to the zerks on the bushing brackets which make it easy to grease them without jacking up the car - point is I can and do grease them liberally often.
So did you have to make a hole in the poly bush ?
Dave

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
iPD needs to take another look at their bushings, AND provide those of us that keep having to purchase new ones with upgraded replacements!

·
Registered
236 Posts
So did you have to make a hole in the poly bush ?
Dave
Based on feedback on earlier threads I put zerks in mine as well as a hole and inner groove inside the bushings before I installed them.
No issues so far but they've not even done 3k miles so I wouldn't expect them to.
I'm interested to hear if there are alternatives that fit the IPD brackets in case they do turn out to be a bit ****e

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Energy Suspension and Prothane make bushings that fit the IPD bar. You can get them with or w/o zerk fittings. I have been through countless sets of bushings. It's apparent that the bushings wear too quickly despite lots of grease. Rubber would certainly be an option vs the poly. I just consider these regular maintenance items now....much like the end links, albeit more frequent.

For those interested, I used these for the zerk extensions so I can easily grease the bushings... https://locknlube.com/products/grease-fitting-relocation-kit

·
Registered
291 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts