SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a backorder at IPD for their new sway bars, and today I received the announcement below. It looks like having a backorder was a worthwhile thing to do-I wonder how much more they will be in the catalog for new buyers?<P>*******************************************<P>This letter is to update you on the status of our re-design of the rear<BR>anti- sway bar for 850 and 70 series Volvos up to model year 2000 (all <BR>wheel<BR>drive models excluded). <P>Earlier this year we had estimated that we would have the newly <BR>designed bar<BR>available by the end of July. Extensive testing this spring and summer <BR>has<BR>revealed further complications with the newly proposed design. <P>In the past, we have done all of our design work in-house, but the <BR>unusual<BR>"Delta-Link" semi-independent rear suspension used in these models has <BR>been<BR>a real challenge for us. To further ensure that we develop a design <BR>that<BR>provides the performance and durability our bars are known for, we have<BR>enlisted the services of a mechanical engineering firm with expertise <BR>in<BR>metallurgy and heat treating (Schaefer Engineering). At this time, we <BR>are<BR>awaiting the results of finite element analysis (FEA) testing that will<BR>provide us with the critical data that we have been missing. The FEA <BR>testing<BR>is scheduled to be complete by September 16th. If the results are what <BR>we<BR>expect, we will be able to finalize testing by the end of September and<BR>begin production. Typically once production is started we can begin <BR>shipping<BR>within 40 days, so if everything goes according to this conservative <BR>plan,<BR>we should begin shipping by mid-November. <P>To thank you for your patience, we will be providing all existing <BR>orders<BR>with the old kit pricing, as the price of this new design is <BR>significantly<BR>higher. <BR>It is our goal to provide you with a safety anti-sway bar system that <BR>is of<BR>the highest quality and performance that will reasonably last the life <BR>of<BR>the car.<BR> If your circumstances have changed and you wish to cancel your order, <BR>we<BR>certainly understand. Simply give our customer service staff a call and <BR>they<BR>will be glad to assist you. Otherwise, keep your fingers crossed and <BR>look<BR>for your kit before the end of the year. (We'll keep you posted if <BR>there are<BR>any further delays.)<P>Again, Thanks for your patience.<BR><P>

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have the same email. Too bad, mid-November. I guess I'll just keep them in the garage till spring, if they arrive before then, that is.<P>

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
That is so respectable. IPD dosen't want to sell you something crappy and are actually taking on extra engineering to develop the product right. Sound like the new sways will be totally worth the wait.<P>

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
well..considering it's gonna be the 4th iteration...they've got a headache as big as leno's chin. and they have that life-time warranty also...

·
Registered
999 Posts
Agreed. They're bars are entirely worth the wait. They're taking painstaking care to make the bars superb, and I commend ipd for their efforts, although I've waited a year for their bars. I can't imagine how much better my 854 will handle after I have them installed. However, I hear it's not a DIY job, is this right?<P>

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
i could take the old bars off (the one that broke, 2nd gen)...i couldn't put the new one back in...wierd...the holes wouldn't align right..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts