SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my inserts today,picked them up online for 32$..
Let me say ..it was some what of a biiatch putting them in,but all in all about an hour and a half.
But dammitt man ,what a difference,on a 179000 mile car..much smoother,no,70 mph,rumble,and tight,like my 1st girlfriend,maybe I was a little wee then,but good buy,good results..all I can say is be like Mikey, try it..you'll like it.
Had to run a blade up holes in the bushings as it made installing a lot easier..1 st one taught me that lesson.
OK later

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You hi mileage folks with vibration issues,sloppy handling,rattle trap over bumps,steering shudder,all over the road car!might want to give these a try!, for 40& shipped why wouldn't you?
Just saying..

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
What do you mean by you had to run a blade up the hole in the bushings?
I got these too and am about to install them tomorrow in our '04 V70 with 165K miles

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Just installed. Not too bad a job. I really didn't need to use a rubber mallet or anything. I did a tighten the bolts and let the outer plate push them in thing, then I pulled the bolts out, used the red lock tight on them, tried to center the covers over them the best I could and then tightened them up. One of the front plates kept giving me fits and wanted to twist way off center and so I used a big screw driver to keep it pushed in line. I'm not sure if the plates off center would do anything, but I thought they might.
They seemed to be centered before they came off. Anyway, my method worked well and it didn't take an hour. The only real issue I ran into was trying to angle tighten the big bolts 120 degrees after 77ft lbs torquing. I know I didn't get them that tight. My angle torgue tool broke the first time I used it- just flew apart- so much for whatever that brand (called OEM) is- it's a piece of Autozone crap. I took it back and got a refund. I'll be looking for something a bit more substantial next time I need one of those. So, I used a piece of paper and drew out 120 degrees and tried to guage it that way instead. I might have gotten 110 on a couple but probably only 100 at most on 3 of them. And this was with bear force with my feet pushing on the breaker bar. Any more and I felt the bolt would snap anyway... So, I'm hoping this is okay. I did a test drive. Be ready to hear other suspension parts that might be worn start to clunk..I heard a few over bumps and this was with full shock/strut replacement about 2 weeks ago with all new IPD heavy duty end links. I suspect control arms in the front are starting to give way- something that was not so noticeable until I did the inserts. That said, the drive was much tighter....no more wandering at high speeds on the highway or during braking. It's a good cheap upgrade that isn't very difficult and I highly recommend it! Btw, I did not buy the IPD inserts. I bought the exact same product from FCP at a pretty good savings and coulpled with other things, I got free shipping. I used a Motul grease that I also bought from them...it is green (looks like what IPD gives you) and comes in what looks like a big toothpaste tube, that you can just use by putting the tip up into the bushing spaces and squeeze the tube- this worked very well !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts