SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heard a lot of squeaking going on the last few days then it turned into a clunk. Turns out the IPD RSB snapped just inside of the poly mount and finally worked itself loose :( . This car is just a daily driver and I don't think should be snapping rear sways. Any guidance on this one? This is one of the original IPD Neutral sways that didn't come painted but came zinc plated (goldish color), are the new ones any better? I dont think I qualify for the warranty as I got it with the car.

·
Registered
195 Posts
They have a lifetime warranty iirc, call IPD and let them know.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Have had mine installed for 4 or 5 years now and no issues. I have the blue version. I've gone through the a few sets of endlinks and one front set of bushings, but nothing ever broke loose. Give IPD a shout... they have helped me numerous times and I suspect they'll take care of you as well.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
Call/contact IPD.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Their bars shouldn't snap. I have them on both my cars. I'm tired of replacing bushings though, why do they suck so bad!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was able to get it out this morning. It looks like it cracked awhile ago and has been holding on by the bottom 1/4 of the bar. It looks like IPD doesn't carry the neutral rear sway anymore either.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
good luck trying to get that steel bolt out of the aluminum subframe -- galvanic reaction makes them weld into one piece -- try not to crack the subframe getting it out.

agree with others about the bushings -- they don't last very long, but degrade just slowly enough so you don't realize how much handling finesse you've lost. It's only when the rattling gets unbearable that we think to look there for the cause -- sure, the endlinks are horrible, everyone knows this, but don't forget to look at the frame-sway bar bushings too.

if you do manage to get that bolt out, make sure you grease the heck out of the hole/bolt when you replace it.
Came right out with hand tools, sunny no salt roads San Diego :) . It's also a through bolt with a nut on the end.

so it looks like maybe the weld let something in? not sure. Had this installed at 55k miles, and I have about 160k now. So the sway bar lasted just about 100k miles.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
And in 100k you never put new ****ty IPD poly rear sway bushings in?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I would get new ones since you already have them out. There's no way in hell they're still good. They start failing after like 5-8k, maybe not so much where you live though.

On my S60 I still have the original ones I put in with the bars, but that only gets driven in the summer on nice days here and there.

On the VR the rear ones are still original IPD ones when we put the bar in like 20k ago. But the bushings for the front bar I've replaced 3 times already in like 20k. And I wash my VR everytime it gets dirty or snows in the winter, I lay down on the ground and hose off the whole underside. Its cuz there's no grease fitting to keep greasing them. After like 10k I can hear the bar moving already in the front, and when I take them off it looks fine, just a lil dirty, its a ****ty design, you can buy the same bushing and brackets at Advanced auto for the front with the grease fitting. I've learned this now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You can also drill and tap the brackets for a zerk. Not too difficult. But, you would probably need to drill a small pilot in the bushing itself.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone have any experience with the rear 28mm bar with the stock front bar? I'm thinking it could be tail happy which may be fun since I might start tracking her.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
For all of you worried about the bolts. I took my car to work and got the bolts glowing red with an acetylene torch then hit them with an air hammer and they came right out. I tried everything at home I could, map gas torch, pen oil, hammer, etc... With the proper tools it's no sweat.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
For all of you worried about the bolts. I took my car to work and got the bolts glowing red with an acetylene torch then hit them with an air hammer and they came right out. I tried everything at home I could, map gas torch, pen oil, hammer, etc... With the proper tools it's no sweat.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6
Can confirm torch makes life so much easier. Made good friends with it for the duration I had my R :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow, my 145 has IPD bars that must be 20 years old easy, no problems, but also no welds.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts