SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered an IPD Rear Anti Sway bar for my 2013 3.2.

I hear that it is a good investment and that it improves handling greatly on other forums. Is that a true statement? Does anyone have one installed on their car that could confirm?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I installed the IPD rear sway bar on my 2007 S80 V8. Well pleased. Easy install. I used poly on the existing end links. When the end links start to rattle, I'll replace.

The IPD bar does reduce body lean in the corners without a change in normal ride harshness.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Here you go:
http://www.ipdusa.com/products/8809/115783-rear-anti-sway-bar-kit-p3-s80-s60-v70-xc70-xc60

If you're not in a rush, I would wait. They will likely go on sale in the spring.

I have this on my 2012 XC70 (same chassis as the S80) and it makes a world of difference for handling/body roll with no ill effects whatsoever on ride. I would get the poly end links (as bugeye mentioned), to really complete the package. Very easy install, too. I didn't even have to jack the car up, but then again, the XC70 has more ground clearance than the S80 does.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes, Tony posted what I was just about to...

It was on sale for 225.00 just a few days ago, so ditto on the waiting for the sale if you can.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
When I installed mine, I thought to myself, "this is how it should have been from the factory." Cornering feels a lot more planted and smoother

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here you go:
http://www.ipdusa.com/products/8809/115783-rear-anti-sway-bar-kit-p3-s80-s60-v70-xc70-xc60

If you're not in a rush, I would wait. They will likely go on sale in the spring.

I have this on my 2012 XC70 (same chassis as the S80) and it makes a world of difference for handling/body roll with no ill effects whatsoever on ride. I would get the poly end links (as bugeye mentioned), to really complete the package. Very easy install, too. I didn't even have to jack the car up, but then again, the XC70 has more ground clearance than the S80 does.
So are these the ones that you think I should get as well?

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/11595/125081-hd-rear-sway-bar-end-link-kit-p3-s60-xc60-s80-xc70-v70

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Yessir. Though arguably you could also wait until they go on sale again. I got them for $49 on-sale.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
do you think they are better quality and has better performance than the OEM?
The straight end bushings are poly, and not rubber. They tend to be a lot stiffer and will ensure the sway bar does it's job. The rubber ones are usually soft and tend to deflect and eventually crack over time. They're roughly the same cost as a quality replacement end link

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I think they are made of stouter material than stock bars are, too. I may be confusing them with the fronts (which I also replaced with IPD HD ones), but I believe they are thicker diameter than stock.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks Tony, is a front sway available as well? I didn't know that about the chassis... Ralph

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
The XC70 is the wagon version of the S80, considered an "Executive" car. Used to be the V70s where based off of the S70/S60, but that changed with the P3 generation.

I don't think they make a front sway bar upgrade, as the one on the car is very beefy and does a great job. They only "weak link" in that setup is the end links (no pun intended). They are easy to swap out, too, and the IPD ones are definitely more substantial than the stock ones. There have been mixed reviews on the reliability of the IPD ones lately, but I've never had problems with them on any of my Volvos. I would suggest you buy nylock nuts for them though, as the ones IPD supplies aren't self-locking and did back off a few times on my front ones.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The XC70 is the wagon version of the S80, considered an "Executive" car. Used to be the V70s where based off of the S70/S60, but that changed with the P3 generation.

I don't think they make a front sway bar upgrade, as the one on the car is very beefy and does a great job. They only "weak link" in that setup is the end links (no pun intended). They are easy to swap out, too, and the IPD ones are definitely more substantial than the stock ones. There have been mixed reviews on the reliability of the IPD ones lately, but I've never had problems with them on any of my Volvos. I would suggest you buy nylock nuts for them though, as the ones IPD supplies aren't self-locking and did back off a few times on my front ones.
Thanks for the info. There are P3 V70s based on the same chassis. They were brought to the US up until MY2010. Still have them in Europe and elsewhere

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
OK I bought the links too
You won't be disappointed!

Ralph, the "P3" is the generation "number", if you will. It's the version number of the Ford global platform these cars were based on waaaaay back when Ford still owned our Swedish friends. I think it spanned from 2007-2016. You may see guys on here talking about their cars in the "P" format sometimes.

·
3,391 Posts
I have it on mine and it made a huge difference! You'll love it! I looked at mine recently and noticed that it has gotten pretty rusty. I see you're in Texas so that probably won't be much of an issue for you, but for those reading who live in the "rust belt", I'd recommend spraying it with a few extra coats of paint before installation.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have it on mine and it made a huge difference! You'll love it! I looked at mine recently and noticed that it has gotten pretty rusty. I see you're in Texas so that probably won't be much of an issue for you, but for those reading who live in the "rust belt", I'd recommend spraying it with a few extra coats of paint before installation.
Awesome. Glad I got them. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts