SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/12095/125495-volvo-led-driving-light-kit-white-s60r-v70r-piaa-125495

Anyone here have these? I’m curious to hear your reviews.

I’ve tried the HID mod in the past but I had moisture issues and the OEM housings keep cracking and seem to have a bad spread regardless of the bulb I put in there.

Also would welcome thoughts on going with the selective yellow version of the PIAA. I’ve got a mystic silver VR. According to Daniel Stern at least, there is some benefit to using yellow light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Ask ScottishBrick, he does a lot with P2 lighting experimentation.

Personally I think IPDs are way overpriced.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What I don't understand is how they expect driving lights to perform properly in place of fog lights, since they will only be on with the low beams. If you use the indicator stalk to switch them off you turn on the normal high beams and still blind oncoming traffic. It does look like piaa makes a fog light version that maybe better suited for this application, unless ipd is able to make changed to the fog light actuation in the software via vida.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
The piaa IPd kit is stupid expensive.

Remember kids, IPD means I Paid Double.

Fortunately the practical answer is cheap:

https://www.amazon.com/AutoTime-Offroad-Driving-Motorcycle-Wrangler/dp/B078X7ZRCX

These LED pods are small enough to mount just about anywhere. Each one is brighter than the pair of 100w Hella 500s I had originally.

Output is amazing

JaredR put a set on his S60 T5 as well and has been impressed. We both are using the oem Volvo aux light kit harness to drive them with high beam activation via the cem. I’d say it’s worth it for the clean install, fuse, harness and console button. However one could easily make a high beam voltage tap harness to run a stand-alone setup as well for less money. I’ve also done this on my other wagon and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The piaa IPd kit is stupid expensive.

Remember kids, IPD means I Paid Double.

Fortunately the practical answer is cheap:

https://www.amazon.com/AutoTime-Offroad-Driving-Motorcycle-Wrangler/dp/B078X7ZRCX

These LED pods are small enough to mount just about anywhere. Each one is brighter than the pair of 100w Hella 500s I had originally.

Output is amazing

JaredR put a set on his S60 T5 as well and has been impressed. We both are using the oem Volvo aux light kit harness to drive them with high beam activation via the cem. I’d say it’s worth it for the clean install, fuse, harness and console button. However one could easily make a high beam voltage tap harness to run a stand-alone setup as well for less money. I’ve also done this on my other wagon and it works perfectly.
Nice. Looks like the S60 has the aux light bracket on it at one point, I take it that’s where the OEM harness came from. Anyway to buy the harness and button without the bracket and hardware?

I liked the idea of hiding the driving lights where the worthless fogs are, but this route does seem much cheaper (though in iPd’s defense, in this case at least, it looks like they are just passing on what PIAA charges for the lamps).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts