SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to take advantage of the ipd Black Friday Sale and spoil my R with the ipd exhaust.

For $805 - is it any good?

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Yea it is, or so I've heard but you could have a custom shop make you a sweet exhaust for half that cost. But that's up to you my friend.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I wish they would finally sell the tips separately

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I wish they would finally sell the tips separately
Would you be interested in say buying the set of tips off one? I just put in my order and I don't think I'm going to use the twin tip.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have read that people look up to the name and quality of IPD and therefore I just dumped some money their way for the setup myself. I chose this setup for the expanded size without jepordizing clearance and performance in comparison to others out there on the market currently. Oh yeah, and I got the down pipe as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just installed the full turboback from IPD about a month ago. I can say I am very pleased with the setup.

A few things about it. Turbo spools up quicker than stock downpipe. Engine seems to be running a bit cooler (which was one reason I installed the DP).

If you have never run a full 3" turboback exhaust before it is significantly louder than stock. You will easily get used to it and it's a much better throaty sound. I have no problems with the noise myself but just be aware.

Any other questions about it PM me and I can answer them for you.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Would you be interested in say buying the set of tips off one? I just put in my order and I don't think I'm going to use the twin tip.
Yes. PM sent.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have been running IPD's exhaust (and downpipe) since the start of summer this year, and to me they are worth. every. penny.

Great height clearance. Great sound. Great quality.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now I already ordered the exhaust. This may be a stupid question, but I am the least mechanically inclined person probably on SS.

Do I need the ipd downpipe or can I save myself $900 and keep the stock one?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Now I already ordered the exhaust. This may be a stupid question, but I am the least mechanically inclined person probably on SS.

Do I need the ipd downpipe or can I save myself $900 and keep the stock one?
You can go either way. The IPD oval exhaust bolts up to the stock downpipe flange. But just looking at it from a simplistic functionality prospective, the downpipe will give you more performance. The exhaust system will give you better sound.

·
Registered
242 Posts
As an update, I have to say that I am very happy with the DP and and catback. I noticed an immediate gain in power...I'd say just the sole ability to breathe now. An expensive DP but between the DP and exhaust, I think I have a good combo and the sound is throaty and aggressive but not obnoxiously loud.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As an update, I have to say that I am very happy with the DP and and catback. I noticed an immediate gain in power...I'd say just the sole ability to breathe now. An expensive DP but between the DP and exhaust, I think I have a good combo and the sound is throaty and aggressive but not obnoxiously loud.
Mine was ordered during the Black Friday Sale, and it's still on backorder (that's what I get for hesitating so much). That being said, I did not order the DP. According to my local Volvo Guy, installation is a pain in the @$$ and it will cost me a helluva lot to get him to install it, given how long it will take. Was installation that tedious?

·
Registered
242 Posts
HUH?!? Sorry to hear you still don't have yours. I hesitated for about 5 minutes and thought the same thing would happen when I saw how many were on hand. So I ordered ASAP.

Not sure what your compentency level is on auto mechanics but this was an easy install. I did it myself...well I had another set of hands to help me hold the catback up as I put the hanger brackets up. Other than that if you've got a floor jack and stands, get a sixer of your preferred brew, PBlaster, and some tools and you're good. This was my first major install and did it in about 2.5 - 3 hours. That was with a couple breaks to tend to my daughter. The hardest part for me was trying to find the best jack points. I used PBlaster on the DP like it was nobodies business and all was good. I took it for a test drive then tightened it up again. Check out my signature link.

·
Registered
998 Posts
If you have ramps or jack stands the downpipe is easy. The only problem you'll come across is if your bolts are stuck. Many people have done it in their own garage's/driveways

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Mine was ordered during the Black Friday Sale, and it's still on backorder (that's what I get for hesitating so much). That being said, I did not order the DP. According to my local Volvo Guy, installation is a pain in the @$$ and it will cost me a helluva lot to get him to install it, given how long it will take. Was installation that tedious?
Really easy job, the only hard "job" is remove the 3 bolts from the downpipe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts