SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 S60 2.5T AWD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I’m looking to purchase the IPD Oval Catback exhaust system for the p2 platform. I drive a 2006 2.5T AWD, and had seen that I may have to trim the rear bumper to fit, but a lot of reviews from other 2.5T s60’s have reported that no trimming was necessary. Anyone have an idea as to wether I would have to trim the rear or not, and if so does anyone know the process for trimming the rear bumper? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Not sure if or how comparable, I put a factory R exhaust on my 2.5T FWD and did not need to cut out or modify anything for it to fit.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
04 Volvo S60 R m66 oe body kit. IPD Downpipe, Catback, HD TCV, Boost Gauge, HD End Links, Poly Sub
56 Posts
Hi all, I'm looking to purchase the IPD Oval Catback exhaust system for the p2 platform. I drive a 2006 2.5T AWD, and had seen that I may have to trim the rear bumper to fit, but a lot of reviews from other 2.5T s60's have reported that no trimming was necessary. Anyone have an idea as to wether I would have to trim the rear or not, and if so does anyone know the process for trimming the rear bumper? Thanks.
I have the IPD CAT AND DOWNPIPE for my R. The chassis on my 04 is a bit longer than your awd but not by much. The band clamps that hold the pipeing together leave you with plenty of adjustability. The hanger bars are designed to be bent as needed although not that easy to do. The exaughst cap has some extra length in the coupling to give you the option as to how you want the look pipe in go sticking out or flush. Who ever had to modify there bumper did not follow instructions very well. You will not have to modify anything on your awd. Gl PS you made the best decision as far as aftermarket. IPD really nailed it on this. I have been around the other two major competitors as well as straight pipes and nothing compares! Literally everywhere I go people are just blown away at the sound.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hi all, I'm looking to purchase the IPD Oval Catback exhaust system for the p2 platform. I drive a 2006 2.5T AWD, and had seen that I may have to trim the rear bumper to fit, but a lot of reviews from other 2.5T s60's have reported that no trimming was necessary. Anyone have an idea as to wether I would have to trim the rear or not, and if so does anyone know the process for trimming the rear bumper? Thanks.
The IPD exhaust is a direct fit and there is no trimming required. I would make sure that all of the pieces are slid on as far as they can go, and that you put on all the exhaust hangers correctly. Did you also replace all the hangers with the IPD ones?

·
Registered
2006 S60 2.5T AWD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if or how comparable, I put a factory R exhaust on my 2.5T FWD and did not need to cut out or modify anything for it to fit.

The IPD exhaust is a direct fit and there is no trimming required. I would make sure that all of the pieces are slid on as far as they can go, and that you put on all the exhaust hangers correctly. Did you also replace all the hangers with the IPD ones?
Ok sweet, thanks for the info. Kinda confused as to why IPD said trimming would be necessary.
I have the IPD CAT AND DOWNPIPE for my R. The chassis on my 04 is a bit longer than your awd but not by much. The band clamps that hold the pipeing together leave you with plenty of adjustability. The hanger bars are designed to be bent as needed although not that easy to do. The exaughst cap has some extra length in the coupling to give you the option as to how you want the look pipe in go sticking out or flush. Who ever had to modify there bumper did not follow instructions very well. You will not have to modify anything on your awd. Gl PS you made the best decision as far as aftermarket. IPD really nailed it on this. I have been around the other two major competitors as well as straight pipes and nothing compares! Literally everywhere I go people are just blown away at the sound.
Glad to hear it's a good system, really looking forward to it arriving.

Thanks for the insight, seems like it should fit just fine.

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
874 Posts
I believe the cutting involved is really around the rear valence/lower part of the rear bumper. The IPD oval exhaust is a dual tip, whereas the 2.5T and my T5 is a single tip, which the cutouts are shaped for. Trimming is minimal. My IPD oval didn't fit the best and I'll have to do some slight cutting to shorten one of the pipes (very end that attaches to the muffler) so it will sit more centered, but I have the rear sport kit so your situation is probably different.

I would absolutely replace the clamps that came with the exhaust for a set of stainless steel clamps. Mine were completely rusted and had to be cut off after 3ish years in the Northeast. The SS Torca clamps I purchased off Amazon are still looking good now 3 years later. If you're in a dry climate, you may have better luck.

·
Registered
2006 S60 2.5T AWD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe the cutting involved is really around the rear valence/lower part of the rear bumper. The IPD oval exhaust is a dual tip, whereas the 2.5T and my T5 is a single tip, which the cutouts are shaped for. Trimming is minimal. My IPD oval didn't fit the best and I'll have to do some slight cutting to shorten one of the pipes (very end that attaches to the muffler) so it will sit more centered, but I have the rear sport kit so your situation is probably different.

I would absolutely replace the clamps that came with the exhaust for a set of stainless steel clamps. Mine were completely rusted and had to be cut off after 3ish years in the Northeast. The SS Torca clamps I purchased off Amazon are still looking good now 3 years later. If you're in a dry climate, you may have better luck.
Good to know about the clamps, from the PNW so most likely will have to replace also. Thanks for the help man.

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
874 Posts
These are the clamps I purchased.

The clamps themselves are holding up great. The hardware isn't holding up as great overall, but much better than the stuff that IPD originally supplied.

Torca AccuSeal Exhaust Clamps 3" 430SS

I installed my IPD DP+Oval Exhaust 9/2016 with 115k miles
I had to replace all the clams with the Torca ones on 9/2019 with 138k miles.

I had to cut them off as the hardware was indistinguishable and the clamps themselves were now paper thin from rust eating away everything. That is how I actually noticed they rusted so badly, one of the clamps had rusted completely through and the slip joints opened up causing an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
824 Posts
These are the clamps I purchased.

The clamps themselves are holding up great. The hardware isn't holding up as great overall, but much better than the stuff that IPD originally supplied.

Torca AccuSeal Exhaust Clamps 3" 430SS

I installed my IPD DP+Oval Exhaust 9/2016 with 115k miles
I had to replace all the clams with the Torca ones on 9/2019 with 138k miles.

I had to cut them off as the hardware was indistinguishable and the clamps themselves were now paper thin from rust eating away everything. That is how I actually noticed they rusted so badly, one of the clamps had rusted completely through and the slip joints opened up causing an exhaust leak.
I would contact IPD as I have never heard of the IPD hardware breaking down that quickly. IPD has really great customer service that is very welcoming and very easily accesible. You can phone or you can email.

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
874 Posts
I've purchased plenty from IPD over the past 10 years and the clamps not being stainless just won't last, especially with how much salt they use on the roads in the NYC Metro area.

As a point of reference, if anyone gets the oval exhaust and has access to a welder or a shop they trust, I would just have all the exhaust pieces welded up together, maybe with 1 clamp at the muffler to avoid any possible leak situations down the road. Bottom line is these band clamps will slip over time no matter how tight you force them. I'll probably take mine off and weld it up if I have time now since my car is in need of a clutch replacement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts