IPD has announced the passing of their founder Richard Gordon, after his battle with Parkinson's disease.  Gordon was an Oregon native and a pioneer in the Volvo aftermarket, founding ipd in 1963.  He will be sadly missed by friends, colleagues and loved ones.

Read the full release below.

It is with a heavy heart that the ipd family sadly announces the passing of ipd founder Richard Gordon on Saturday October 18, 2014, at the age of 72 due to complications related to Parkinson's disease. Richard's influence in the Volvo community has impacted the lives of thousands of people, with his visionary approach to treating people the right way and paving the way for people’s passion to be explored. He was admired and loved by all those who had the great privilege of associating with him. His accomplishments were great but his impact on those lives he touched was even greater.

Born in 1942 and raised in the Portland, Oregon area, Richard graduated from Franklin High School in 1960 and that same year, married his high school sweetheart, Judy Herman. Since 1963, Richard was the formidable leader and owner of ipd. With his dedication to customer care and old fashioned values, Richard built not only a company but an environment that fostered love and respect. This career, which suited Richard's passion for Volvos and people, extended into a lifetime of racing Volvos. He passed this legacy onto his children, working side by side with his daughter who helped run ipd and to his son, Robert, who took up racing and continues to race in the car that made history by being the first Volvo to win a professional road race in the United States. To Scott, he entreated his "try anything once" adventurous spirit. Richard's other passions included advocating for small businesses. Richard was a strong political supporter of the core values that built this country. A man of action, Richard had a strong belief in being informed and getting involved. He remained a man dedicated to the pursuit of excellence and he encouraged excellence in others. A man of compassion and grace, Richard had a great sense of humor and brilliant wit with an infectious charm that could make the most distant of strangers smile.

Richard is survived by his devoted wife of 53 years, Judy; sons, Scott and Robert Gordon; daughter, Suzanne "Suzy" (Gordon) Hart of Portland; and granddaughter, Taylor Gordon.

For all of your positive contributions and on behalf of the countless lives you’ve affected, we say thank you to Richard Gordon. You will truly be missed.

In lieu of flowers, the family has asked that memorial contributions be made to the Parkinson's Resources of Oregon in memory of Richard Gordon, 3975 Mercantile Drive, Suite 154, Lake Oswego, OR 97035. For more information, you can reach them at 1-800-426-6806.

Stuart Hockman - Current President of ipd

"Richard Gordon truly was a class act. He was indeed a man of high integrity and morals. I was personally blessed to know him for over 30 years in the auto parts business. I was also privileged to purchase IPD from him with my partners this year.

Richard was very motivated to help his employees become more well-read and educated. As a result, my partners and I will be setting up a Richard Gordon Education Scholarship fund for the children of our employees that are getting good grades, but need some financial assistance towards their college expenses.

I wish his family strength and love during these very difficult times."