SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

got to install the IC over the weekend but run into an issue connecting the two small bolts at the top of the combined cooler assembly. Their purpose is to stabilize the assembly back/forth as there are two larger bolts midway down the sides holding the weight of the assembly.

The problem is that I cannot align the holes in the car member (the black metal plate above the headlight) with the brackets on top of the radiator. I cannot bend the brackets as they are holding inside the radiator plastic end tanks. I tried pushing the assembly forward as much as possible against the rubber seal on the front shroud (it goes around the front of the assembly/condenser to force the air through the assembly instead of around it). I cannot push harder as it might damage the radiator now or in the future through fatigue (as mentioned it has plastic tanks). The lower bolts are very loose so that should not restrict the movement. The holes on the car member have left/right play space but not back/forward.

The ipd IC makes the assembly thicker for sure. Called IPD and they say that the position of the radiator should not change relative to the car body. It should be a very tight fit (that contradicts the no change in position) but it should work by playing with the bolts. Based on my measurements that is not the case. The radiator is 1.5 and 2cm back from alignment and the absolute most I can squeeze it to is half of it.

Has anyone hit a similar issue? Looking for a easy way out before starting fabricating custom brackets.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Mine is in there. Don't kno how the ferk we got it in there, but we did. It'll be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Take pictures so we can see what you mean.

Stuffing the IPD intercooler in there was a tight fit, but it is possible.

The term 10lbs of **** stuffed into a 5lb sack comes to mind when working on our cars.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took my time last night and found a way. The brackets on top of the radiator are in a shape of a tight S or double S. So although they cannot be rotated around the mounting point inside the plastic end tanks they are flexible just enough that they can be pushed forward at the top to make it to the car member holes.
For this I left just a bit of slack on the big side bolts holding the radiator assembly weight but not too much so the assembly rests too low. I used a solid flat screwdriver and I pushed on the nut that is welded under the top of the brackets from the engine bay out to the front of car. Used the other hand to screw in the top bolt. Repeat the other side. Torqued the side bolts to 25Nm and then the top ones to 10Nm.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is the Intercooler not aligning with the car mounts or is the intercooler not aligning with the fan mounts?

Aftermarket fans are fine and work well, almost better in some cases. However, the brackets that help hold the intercoolers are not always to Volvo specs.

The Ipd intercooler is drop in..and should have no issues aligning with anything.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
To get the extra room you need you often want to shift the radiator's lower rubber mount points as far back as they will go and the top mounts will flex accordingly to allow you to do so.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, done that. Still had to force the brackets to bend.
BTW another side effect is that the air box now is pressing on the IAT/fan harness that is secured on the fan shroud. I'll need to reroute the harnesses on top of the fan shroud.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The intercooler is aligned. But the thing that you attach to the car body is the radiator not the IC. The IC is held along with the AC condenser to the radiator by 4 screws. They do align. What does not align is the top radiator brackets with the body holes.

Everything is OEM besides the IC.

Drop in or better said pop up - that's what I thought to.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Mine was not tough to put in like you are describing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts