SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm taking up the IPD HD XC90 Control Arm Challenge!

So far, the arms are here. They look as nice as anything, really. They are made in Taiwan, which I actually consider a good thing, since rubber products have gotten worse across the board due to environmental regs. Rubber looks quite good. Not rock hard. Seemingly nicer that the Scan-Tech/Dorman arms I got 7 years ago. I may still have a spare, unused am remaining in the garage for comparison.

I changed control arms and a ball joint on a friend's 2004 XC90 T6, 8 years ago, and remember that the fasteners are supposed to be replaced. I didn't replace them, and found them a PITA to "do up" again as the hex heads were just round enough from exposure that the wrenches wanted to slip off. Thus, I ordered new fasteners from Tasca. Cheap, and quite nice. I stuck them in the arms for safe keeping, as my garage is Volvo madness untill I do a re-organize/cleanup in October.

This begs the question, what are the proper torques for the arms. I recall VADIS being a little more clear way back when. Now I have VIDA, and VIDA has "control arms" and "link arms" in the torque sheet.... despite using the phrase "control arm" everywhere else. I'm guessing "link arm" is the right one, as I see a torque for "ball joint into link arm". Does anyone know the proper torque for the ball joint into the knuckle? I'm guessing that the collective wisdom will say to do ball joints while I'm at it. Lemforder is $70/pair from FCP. As much as I'd rather not spend $70 right now, I'll kick myself if I find a ball joint well on its way out halfway through the job.

torques.JPG

Here are some pics of the arm(s):

20190824_114503.jpg

20190824_114614.jpg

20190824_114537.jpg

Thanks all! I have a couple chores to do on my 945 before I dive into a bunch of XC90 stuff, so it'll be a week or two before I swap arms.

-Ryan

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,300 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rear bushings have partial cutouts, in that they don't go all the way through.

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
What has been your experience with them so far? I now 2 months isn't a very long time to deliver a solid evaluation but I may be joining you.
I wanted to go poly, but shops in my area are charging asinine rates to press out the old and push in the poly bushings.
I figure the iPDs will split the difference between Lem/Myele and Poly in terms of longevity.
Did you do the ball joints as well?

·
Registered
536 Posts
How do they work for jacking the wheel off the ground? Yesterday I had to put on the snows and my floor jack broke so a 2 X 4 under the flat part of the lower control arm and 6" bottle jack under that and I got my wheels changed. Except for warranty work on one side way back when, the LCA's are still original. You guys must be driving them too hard.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All I can say is that they look nice on the shelf. It's been stiflingly hot in OH until this past week, and the other Volvo's have been keeping me busy on the wrenching days. The next three weekends (weather cooperating) are for serp belt replacement and LCA's. Probably also a tire balancing.

As for jacking, it's easiest to jack the front crossmember and then the rear end. Lifting one corner at a time is twice as much work as it needs to be.

-Ryan

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes but with a 6" bottle jack it is easier when the springs don't relax. I had three cars to do so just looking for the quickest way possible. I guess had one of the LCA's broke it wouldn't have been so quick.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup. Not installed yet. Soon, though! :)

Too many projects here, but I need to get the XC ready for winter soon.

-Ryan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts