SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im looking to replace my TCV mainly because its got 110K plus miles on it and Im not sure how long their life spans usually are so im trying to be "pro-active". Im debating on whether or not to get the more expensive IPD HD TCV or just the stock TCV.. My car has the IPD MTE Stage 2 tune on it. What are your guys' thoughts on the matter. Is it worth getting the HD TCV rather than the stock one? Are there are common issues with either?? What are the main benefits of one or both? Please enlighten me..

Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Stock. Stock stock stock stock

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
It doesnt work well in high temps. Engine bay heat.
And it can oscillate even if duty cycle from ECM is constant. It's crap.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Oem oem oem oem

·
Registered
136 Posts
Stock stock stock!! No reason to pay more for something that isn't proven to work very well under high temps.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im getting an overwhelming feeling that I should go stock... even with my IPD MTE Stage 2 tune?? The IPD website says that the stock TCV cant handle boost above 16-17.. I rarely boost that high anyways but if I ever wanted to I would want to make sure that the TCV could handle it..

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I have a 21 psi tune running on the oem tcv. And that's what my tuner (hilton) recommends.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
The aftermarket TCVs are a different design than the stock Pierburg one and have a greatly reduced lifesaving in the high heat environment that they live in. I believe there is a better Pierburg out there but I don't recall where to purchase it. Stock TCV or you might be buying a set of dartons.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
It doesnt handle boost above 16-17psi? Thats just plain marketing jargon..

·
Premium Member
3,673 Posts
Im getting an overwhelming feeling that I should go stock... even with my IPD MTE Stage 2 tune?? The IPD website says that the stock TCV cant handle boost above 16-17.. I rarely boost that high anyways but if I ever wanted to I would want to make sure that the TCV could handle it..
I had an MTE stage 2 tune and an aftermarket HD TCV. I suffered from a handful of massive boost spikes, with one being fatal.

Use a stock TCV.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had an MTE stage 2 tune and an aftermarket HD TCV. I suffered from a handful of massive boost spikes, with one being fatal.

Use a stock TCV.
Interesting... This makes perfect sense because the Previous Owner had the HD TCV with the MTE Stage 2 and the car did the same thing. He had to replace the entire engine.. They never really identified 100% what caused the boost spike that blew the engine but he did mention they suspected the TCV. When they replaced the engine they used the stock TCV from the car the new engine came out of.. It had around 100K miles on it which is why im considering replacing it in the first place..

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are these required to be changed at a particular interval?
Im wondering the same thing.. These are cheap enough and easy enough to replace which is why I figured it would be a good proactive thing to do..

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
You can go with the piersburg from a porsche that everyone is leaning towards now. I have it on my car.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 44 Posts