SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
What about with Phuzz's tcv?

Sent from the road when I should be paying attention driving
It's basically the same thing as the iPd unit.

I'd stick with stock tcv for the time being, less ecu learning that way.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Wouldn't poor gas ie less octane make the ecu pull timing to reduce knock, instead of throwing the car into limp mode?

I think mike is onto something with a leak. Check your connections and also check vac lines for small cracks/splits.

For grins you need to see if the car is storing any codes. Get someone with DiCE/VIDA to check them. Of course do this before you flash the ECU because doing so erases all stored codes.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Same problem here with IPD unit wont go over 15 psi on stage 2 tune, with stock tcv it holds 20 psi. Got a phuzzy tcv on the way and hopefully it will be better then both. btw this was my 2nd IPD tcv.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Mabey Matt could chime in here and valves are way different. Idd go with the phuzz.

·
Registered
876 Posts
IDP HD TCV + Autotech tune (21 psi) with no problems.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Mabey it depends on the car and tune and unit they send you. Ive had good luck with all my other IPD parts but not the HD TCV.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
So, after reading this thread I was prompted to try and switch back to my stock TCV again to see if I noticed any difference. I have done this previously (as noted above), but only for short drives where I was testing for max boost levels, and hadn't noticed any difference. However, this time I left the stock TCV in for a few days and based on the results I'm going to stick with the stock TCV, because the driving dynamics of the car seem to be better with the stock unit.

I haven't noticed any difference in max boost levels (still spiking to 21-23 psi and holding steady at 20-22 psi), but the manner in which boost builds and is managed by the stock TCV seems to be smoother than with the IPD unit. It's a bit difficult to describe, but it seems that the stock TCV is managing the wastegate in harmony with everything else the ecu is doing, particularly during shifts where numerous parameters are being adjusted based on clutch position, throttle position, etc.

Overall, the driving experience seems to be improved, so I'm going to stick with the stock TCV for the time being.

My setup includes the stage 2 autotech tune, PhMIC, HD CBV and custom intake (similar to SNABB). How those other mods may influence my results is difficult to say.

I would be very interested in hearing impressions from anyone else that has tried running their stock TCV again after having run the IPD TCV.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
^^Interesting. Did you reset the ECU after swapping to the stock TCV?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
^^Interesting. Did you reset the ECU after swapping to the stock TCV?
No, I didn't because I wanted to limit the number of variables that I was changing.

If I reset the ECU, the car would definitely feel different as it re-adapted all of its parameters.

I'll try re-setting the ECU in a couple of days to see if I can tell any difference after the car goes through a complete adaptation cycle "from scratch" after the ECU reset.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Cool, good thinking :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
This is really interesting reading.. I have an issue with my boost flutters when at WOT.... I have an Elevate stage 1 and a IPD HD tcv.... I am gonna find a stock tcv to test with...

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well, mixed some 100 octane in, titrated it up to 94 octane, reset the ECU, re-loaded the stage 2 tune, and all is well, it was in the 70s this evening, and I did multiple full boost accelerations on the 17 mile drive home, never a boost limitation problem.

Will continue to drive it with the higher octane and Stage 2, see if it develops any problems. I have dyno time scheduled in two weeks, so hopefully it will stay running well so I can test BSR, RICA and stock all back to back.

As of right now, I can say RICA S2 appears to like stock TCV better (I second soup's observations above), and does not like some 91 octane CO gas...

·
Registered
926 Posts
Well, mixed some 100 octane in, titrated it up to 94 octane, reset the ECU, re-loaded the stage 2 tune, and all is well, it was in the 70s this evening, and I did multiple full boost accelerations on the 17 mile drive home, never a boost limitation problem.

Will continue to drive it with the higher octane and Stage 2, see if it develops any problems. I have dyno time scheduled in two weeks, so hopefully it will stay running well so I can test BSR, RICA and stock all back to back.

As of right now, I can say RICA S2 appears to like stock TCV better (I second soup's observations above), and does not like some 91 octane CO gas...
Interesting. Not beat a dead horse, Kelly, but when you swapped out the TCV this last time, did one of the hoses seem loose or anything? Just trying to rule out something that you could be "fixing" every time you swap the TCV. Seems like if one of those connection was failing though, it would be obvious when you did the swap.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Interesting. Not beat a dead horse, Kelly, but when you swapped out the TCV this last time, did one of the hoses seem loose or anything? Just trying to rule out something that you could be "fixing" every time you swap the TCV. Seems like if one of those connection was failing though, it would be obvious when you did the swap.
None of the hoses seemed loose when I swapped back to stock 2 weeks ago. I didn't change the TCV yesterday, just added 100 octane, reset the ECU, and tuned S2. I'll run it for a few days, then maybe try the IPD TCV again. If the problem returns with IPD TCV, even while running 94 octane, then I'll know they are not compatible.

·
Super Moderator
14,834 Posts
The IPD ones I have seen failed appeared to be due to the temperature range. The IPD TCV, according to the data supplied by Ingersol Rand (manufacturer of the solenoid), is good for a range of 32-120F.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
The IPD ones I have seen failed appeared to be due to the temperature range. The IPD TCV, according to the data supplied by Ingersol Rand (manufacturer of the solenoid), is good for a range of 32-120F.
What is your solenoid rated for?

·
Super Moderator
14,834 Posts
PM'd.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Well, 6 psi limit problem returned last night with stock TCV, 94 octane and 50 degree temps while running Rica Stage 2. I drove 10 miles to store with it running strong, and about 5 miles on the way back, then all of a sudden after waiting at a stop light, only 6 psi.

I'll swap back to stock, confirm there is no problem, then load the BSR since I'm at 94 octane currently.

I just can't figure out why S2 tune keeps "learning" itself into limp mode. Its not gas or temperature. Altitude? Leak? But never a problem with stock tune...

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Well, 6 psi limit problem returned last night with stock TCV, 94 octane and 50 degree temps while running Rica Stage 2. I drove 10 miles to store with it running strong, and about 5 miles on the way back, then all of a sudden after waiting at a stop light, only 6 psi.

I'll swap back to stock, confirm there is no problem, then load the BSR since I'm at 94 octane currently.

I just can't figure out why S2 tune keeps "learning" itself into limp mode. Its not gas or temperature. Altitude? Leak? But never a problem with stock tune...
As Pirate mentioned earlier, you really need someone with VIDA/DiCE to pull all the codes to see what has been logged. There could be any number of causes for the car to go into a self-protect mode. The codes will likely be cleared when you install a new tune and/or reset the ECU, so you'll want to pull them before doing that.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Kelly, since you got so many computers laying around the house why not make one your VIDA/DiCE bitch? You can get a DiCE unit pretty cheap these days.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts