SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I'll be replacing the old control arms on my 2004 S60R, because the bushings are worn out and have worn down the inside of my tires. I'll be replacing them with the IPD HD control arms because the bushings are supposed to be better. I will also be replacing the ball joints and outer tie rods just to make everything fresh in the front end. Has anyone used the IPD HD control arms and do they really last longer then OEM? Also If you guys have a tips or how to on all this that would be great. I've looked up some how to's with really no luck on finding anything specific to the R. Also anything else I might need for the job before I get it all taken apart? Thanks

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
#1 don't buy aftermarket tie rods cuz they last like 1 year. As for the job I've had my front suspension apart a few times now and just make sure you have a breaker bar and some impact sockets because all those bolts are gonna be pretty hard to free the first time, especially the two bolts that connect the front bushing of the lower control arm to the subframe. On the passenger side one, you'll have to move a couple metal lines out of the way to access the bolts. Even then you cant access them with a breaker bar because the oil pan is in the way so you'll have to use a really long wrench or use the two wrench method. That was my biggest challenge when I did my poly LCA bushings. I had to soak the bolts in pb blaster and heat them up on and off for like 24 hours to get those bolts free. Other than that it shouldn't be too bad. Also when you do your ball joints, you might need to take the whole knuckle assembly to someone who has an air hammer if you don't have one. The ball joint is pressure fit into the knuckle so its really hard to get it out with hand tools.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I am curious about this too. Should I use the OEM or IPD HD? thoughts?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
IPD's haven't been out long enough to know if they outlast OEM or not for sure, but their claims regarding Volvo's use of recycled rubber seemed logical to me. I put on a set a couple of weeks ago-- they looked to be of great quality and have so far been awesome.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
I'd say Volvo OEM or Lemforder (the OE supplier for LCAs, ball joints, tierods...) going through the same thing with the XC70 and decided on Lemforder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts