SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at intercooler upgrade, IPD's has been out for awhile now and there was much concern how effective they'd be due to stock location. So anyone have any feedback on how they work over stock when it's hot out ??

Thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I to would like to know more about them. I'm not looking to modify my bumper or make any major changes but I would like to know how easy the drop in's are and if they will be able to handle basic mods.

·
Registered
9,231 Posts
here is some info from Ipd's site.

The original twin intercooler system in these models suffer from a few well known issues, number one being that it is severely undersized to provide adequate cooling of the intake air in moderate to hot driving environments. Once the temps begin to reach 70+ F, owners of these models report experiencing dramatic cuts in performance by as much as 20-25%! If you have driven your R in cool winter conditions and noticed it makes a heck of a lot more power than it does during the warmer summer months, it's most likely because the ignition is being retarded so much to prevent detonation due to extremely high intake air temps from the heat soaked intercoolers. The manufacturer attempted to address the issue by adding a smaller auxiliary intercooler at the last minute, but in our opinion, the " twin intercooler" design is actually less effective than the single intercooler on the T5 models due to the strange parallel plumbing design that is not conducive to airflow.

Soon after the R's were introduced a couple of companies addressed the issue with expensive front mount intercooler kits that effectively cured the problem. They cost 2-3 times that of our all new drop in design and they also required front structural steel to be cut and modified for fitment, which most R owners were not willing to do. Late in 2010 we began developing and testing hi efficiency drop in intercooler designs that fit in the stock location and did not require any modifications to the chassis or body. Eventually we came up with an effective design at a very affordable price! More details below.

ipd's high-flow bar and plate core design ensures maximum airflow through the intercooler and into your radiator to keep engine temperatures normal even under prolonged high load driving. Part of this is due to the aluminum bar and plate design with internal offset fin structure, which is more efficient and better at cooling than the stock tube and fin design intercoolers. Some aftermarket manufacturers also use tube and fin designs as they are cheap to make and easy to produce in large numbers. But when it comes to both performance and longevity, bar and plate is the recognized performance choice!

ipd's cast aluminum intercooler end tanks are specifically engineered for a smooth flow of air though the entire core, utilizing it to the full extent. This is important in cooling the hot air coming out of the turbo, as the more interior surface area used, the better the cooling effect. This also reduces back pressure in the system, another key issue in intercooler performance. The cast aluminum end tanks are specifically designed and engineered for high airflow, as poorly designed end tanks cut off air flow as much as 20% on some designs we tested.

Our exclusive design also features a fully integrated boost pressure sensor / intake air sensor boss in the stock locations so there is no need to cut and splice the wiring harness or relocate these critical sensors as all other designs require.

Most importantly, the ipd high performance drop in intercooler upgrade for 2004-2007S60R and V70R models delivers the goods with an equivalent intake air temp drop that you would realize from a 40-45 degree drop in ambient temps! (AKA HUGE!) All at less than 1.2 psi pressure drop across the core.

As demonstrated in the bottom right, an inferior end tank design, commonly found on aftermarket tunbe and fin intercoolers, can directly impact the overall performance of the intercooler. When the endtank is too small and square, it creates a condition where most of the intercooler simply is not being used. Air becomes forced through a smaller part of the core. This lowers the cooling ability of the intercooler, as the majority of air goes through only a small amount of the intercooler core. Most of the intercooler is literally wasted.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would gladly volunteer to beta test and report data for a discount! How about it IPD?

·
Registered
330 Posts
There is a substantial difference from the stock. I haven't nor am I considering the likes of Bell as I do not want to make any mods. What I like is that I could replace the trimming from the stock intercooler, therefore it looks absolutely stock from the outside. As for the looks from within the engine bay, all you see is a slight shift (off-center) in one of the nipples at the top of the ipd intercooler.

No regrets. Worst part of the experience was the creeping delay for the launch of the product which dragged for almost a year in my case. Also it's not as light as the pix of Lucky holding it would suggest, and in my case the welding wasn't as neat as I had hoped for (nit picking).

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
I don't remember specifics offhand but there was a thread here in the past few months where an R owner was overheating his coolant temps at a track day after just a few minutes of driving. One theory of the cause of this problem was the IPD drop-in IC... since it's in the stock location and completely covers the radiator, thought was that the IC was heating up the airflow so much that the radiator couldn't work effectively...

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I don't remember specifics offhand but there was a thread here in the past few months where an R owner was overheating his coolant temps at a track day after just a few minutes of driving. One theory of the cause of this problem was the IPD drop-in IC... since it's in the stock location and completely covers the radiator, thought was that the IC was heating up the airflow so much that the radiator couldn't work effectively...
That would have been me. I called IPD after the overheating incident. I couldn't get them to help or provide technical information. That was disappointing. But I expected more help than that. Maybe that's not a fair expectation. Plus I'm not really the mechanical type. IDK

I ended up putting it on a dyno and trying to do some sort backyard style testing of Stock vs IPD Drop-in using inlet temps and 4 gear blasts to red line.

Stock dual IC: Starting inlet temp 82. Ambient temp 86. After a 4th gear blast to redline inlet temp was 92.

IPD Drop-in: Starting inlet temp 90. Ambient temp 92. After a 4th gear blast to redline inlet temp 112.

I'm not sure how to interpret these numbers. But there they are.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
The one big positive thing about this unit is that the installation is very clean and tidy. And, unless you live in the desert like me, and want to track your car, this is a very nice replacement.

Ambient temps at the two tracks out this way range from 95 to 115 degrees. And the black top floats 135 to 150 degrees.

·
Registered
162 Posts
That would have been me. I called IPD after the overheating incident. I couldn't get them to help or provide technical information. That was disappointing. But I expected more help than that. Maybe that's not a fair expectation. Plus I'm not really the mechanical type. IDK

I ended up putting it on a dyno and trying do some sort backyard style testing of Stock vs IPD Drop-in using inlet temps and 4 gear blasts to red line.

Stock dual IC: Starting inlet temp 82. Ambient temp 86. After a 4th gear blast to redline inlet temp was 92.

IPD Drop-in: Starting inlet temp 90. Ambient temp 92. After a 4th gear blast to redline inlet temp 112.

sounds like the drop in is a waste :/

·
Registered
233 Posts
My install was very clean. If you need to have the "LOOK" of the FMIC then do it! Would I love to have the look? Hell yes! But performance has not diminished! The IPD guys are all good! They know their shiat, just like you do with what you do..

·
Registered
861 Posts

I ended up putting it on a dyno and trying to do some sort backyard style testing of Stock vs IPD Drop-in using inlet temps and 4 gear blasts to red line.

Starting inlet temp can be set aside, it's not really important. The main consideration, assuming you had sufficient air blowing at the front end of the car, is the delta between Ambient and "After 4th gear blast". Stock has a 6 degree delta and IPD has a 20 degree delta... granted this is just one data point, but it's not starting off on the right foot.

·
Registered
260 Posts

These numbers are dissapointing... Just when I was thinking of getting a drop-in :-(

I know people will say the most effective IC is the FMIC, but I had drop-in in my S40 years ago from Autotech and that thing was simply incredible. Cold or hot day, it would always perform.

All drop-ins for R have problem with end tanks (very thin). R is really $hit car for mods, so that's probably part of the problem...

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Starting inlet temp can be set aside, it's not really important. The main consideration, assuming you had sufficient air blowing at the front end of the car, is the delta between Ambient and "After 4th gear blast". Stock has a 6 degree delta and IPD has a 10 degree delta... granted this is just one data point, but it's not starting off on the right foot.
Ambient temps may not be important. You probably know much better than I do. I let someone smarter than me figure out what the data suggests and what this line in Dougy's post means.

Dougy's post:
"Most importantly, the ipd high performance drop in intercooler upgrade for 2004-2007S60R and V70R models delivers the goods with an equivalent intake air temp drop that you would realize from a 40-45 degree drop in ambient temps! (AKA HUGE!) All at less than 1.2 psi pressure drop across the core."

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
Ambient temps may not be important. You probably know much better than I do. I let someone smarter than me figure out what the data suggests and what Dougy's post means.

Dougy's post:
"Most importantly, the ipd high performance drop in intercooler upgrade for 2004-2007S60R and V70R models delivers the goods with an equivalent intake air temp drop that you would realize from a 40-45 degree drop in ambient temps! (AKA HUGE!) All at less than 1.2 psi pressure drop across the core."
To me it's not a good upgrade either way. If the IPD drop-in doesn't really improve the charge air cooling, then what's the point?
If the IPD drop-in really does improve charge air cooling a lot, well that heat has to go somewhere - it's going to swamp your radiator and will contribute to a higher possibility of having your coolant overheat.

The FMIC solution only heats air from the lower opening, so the upper opening airflow can be dedicated to the radiator (and AC I guess).

·
Registered
272 Posts
Starting inlet temp can be set aside, it's not really important. The main consideration, assuming you had sufficient air blowing at the front end of the car, is the delta between Ambient and "After 4th gear blast". Stock has a 6 degree delta and IPD has a 10 degree delta... granted this is just one data point, but it's not starting off on the right foot.
His numbers show the IPD setup as having a 20 degree delta (change in temp). Something's funky...

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
His numbers show the IPD setup as having a 20 degree delta (change in temp). Something's funky...
Actually my numbers show a 10 degree delta on the stock dual IC, and a 22 degree delta on IPD's Drop-In.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Actually my numbers show a 10 degree delta on the stock dual IC, and a 22 degree delta on IPD's Drop-In.
I was refering to JoJo's post where he was referencing ambient to redline temp.

And yes, you're correct about starting inlet temp to redline inlet temp.

What's important is the difference between turbo inlet and post charge cooler temp. A perfect A-B comparison would have the same ambient temps.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
To me it's not a good upgrade either way. If the IPD drop-in doesn't really improve the charge air cooling, then what's the point?
If the IPD drop-in really does improve charge air cooling a lot, well that heat has to go somewhere - it's going to swamp your radiator and will contribute to a higher possibility of having your coolant overheat.

The FMIC solution only heats air from the lower opening, so the upper opening airflow can be dedicated to the radiator (and AC I guess).
Interestingly enough, you're the 4th person to suggest this about the effects on the radiator coolant. In real life the coolant was boiling both times. And the interesting thing is I can't get it to move the temp gauge dial on the freeway at all even after a series of WOT acceleration blasts. The overheating seems to happen only at lower speeds and maybe also following behind other cars. But again, I'm guessing.

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
Interestingly enough, you're the 4th person to suggest this about the effects on the radiator coolant. In real life the coolant was boiling both times. And the interesting thing is I can't get it to move the temp gauge dial on the freeway at all even after a series of WOT acceleration blasts. The overheating seems to happen only at lower speeds and maybe also following behind other cars. But again, I'm guessing.
Yeah, you really need repeated WOT blasts and hard braking to get enough heat built up fast enough. Triple digit speeds can remove A LOT of heat. I would think the worst would actually be a "small" track where you do lots of 40-80-40 MPH runs over and over with no long straights.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
IPD Drop-in increasing heat to radiator?

Why would the IPD unit create any more heat to the radiator than the stock intercooler?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts