SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just picked up a 2004 V70 2.5T with less than 100,000 km (60,000 mi) on the clock. Goes well - seems to have the same pick up as my XC90 V8 RD.

Looking to upgrade some of the pipes etc and looking at IPD's Boostability kits. But for similar $ can get the SNABB kit which includes the FMIC.

Appreciate your thoughts. Looking to get a bit more oomph from the engine, and we also do a long trip interstate over summer.

thanks

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Why not Do88?

While I like the IPD hoses, especially the one piece flexible OTE, but if price is of concern I'd recommend Snabb or Do88.

I'm using the Do88 Gen 1 intercooler and it performs well. It's a drop-in unit, mounts in the factory location, unlike the Snabb FMIC that will require some custom work.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
The stock intake will support any tune you can throw on your stock turbo. Are you thinking of tuning or upgrading the turbo? Because either is a much smarter use of your money.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Upgrade turbo = get a bigger one, bolt it on. Requires a tune.
Tune = Pay Hilton, JZW, IPD, Rica, or Speedtuning to tune your car for more boost, either with the turbo you have now or the new one you buy.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
How to tune or upgrade the turbo? Thanks for the tip about the Do88 too.
You can check the link in my signature for a "How to" on upgrading the turbo. Here is some information on turbos for your vehicle.
http://www.wothrline.com/Cars_engine/HW/turbocharger.htm

Different tuners have different methods of tuning. Only some wil tune for a larger than stock turbo, those are:
Hilton Tuning - requires a laptop with a DiCE unit. Hilton Tune your vehicle from live data and will custom tune to hardware upgrades.
JZW Tuning - Unsure if remote tuning is available, but you'll have to remove the ECU for tuning.
Speedtuning (?) - Haven't heard much about them.
Shark Performance (?) - No experience, unsure if they custom tune.
ARD Tuning - Laptop and DiCE unit. An option, but I cannot recommend them due to poor customer service and tune that did not function properly on my setup. Others have also had similar experiences with ARD, but some on the forums also got great customer service and tunes from ARD.

Other tuner have flash tunes (off the shelf tunes) for the stock engine, those are:
RICA - has a remote softloader
IPD(MTE) - Requires a laptop with the softloader.
BSR - No experience, but also has a softloader.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts