SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

the spec for using Aquamist with the stock engine is 0.7mm jet activated at 10psi of boost.

Is that changing with 4T4 and supporting parts installed?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
If you plan on running the same boost levels you should be fine with the old flow, but if you are running more boost and/or a more aggressive tune you may want to up the flow a little.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
You should be fine then. Keep in mind more water flow will just increase the probability of killing the ETM from the water that gets blown past the butterfly shaft seal, so if you are not upping the boost levels then stay where you are at. The higher flow turbo at the same boost levels should reduce the backpressure some which will make the current spray even more effective than it was before.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Depending on which Aquamist kit you are running, and the actual flow of the new IPD 4T4 turbo at the boost level you are actually at you may have to adjust flow up or down.

With most of the Aqumist kits along with other kits the pump is fixed flow and you need to control the amount of flow by changing the jets. Some of the Aquamist kits are mapped off of fuel injector flow and can vary flow up and down based on the amount of fuel being injected.

You want to make sure you are flowing just the right amount as too little water and you don't get the full effect, too much water and you will bog our engine down (smaller displacement motors are more effected by this).

Water seems to bog the engine down more that water/meth mix.

If IPD has a compressor map or flow numbers for the 4T4 turbo we can do some simple math to figure out where you need to be. Even some data logging that shows us how much lbs/minute air is flowing into the motor will work.

I don't remember the formula off the top of my head, but I will look for it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Aquamist is the non-monitoring version sold by ipd. I think it was called 1-S. Yes, pump is fixed. I'm going to use the 0.7mm jet activated at 10psi.
Here is the Pressure vs flow chart from Aquamist: http://www.aquamist-direct.com/806-3xx-0-4-to-1-2mm-atomising-jet-for-4mm-hose-r/

Here is an old post http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?40901. He was using same nozzle but activated at 12psi and also jets for the intercooler.

I'm using winter washer fluid.

I do not know of a compressor map being published by ipd.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Here is a good place to start:

http://howertonengineering.com/tech-info/calculating-jetting/

If you can figure out the lbs/minute of air flow into the motor, a good rule of thumb is most turbo cars will make 1 hp to 1 lb/min of flow, so if you are flowing 350 lbs/minute you should be close to 350 hp.

If you are running the good washer fluid, it's supposed to be 50 percent distilled water/50 percent methanol, .01 percent blue dye, although the MSDS can tell you for sure some times.

I believe the IPD kit comes with 650 cc injectors, and we have 5 of them.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The engine should make around 430hp. It makes 340 at the wheels. But the formula at that link is not using the engine cc but the injectors cc.

Yes, it comes with 650cc injectors. I think the OEM's are 450cc.

Based on that formula it requires 1 or 1.2mm jet. Looks to me a little too much.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Not very capable turbo for its price imo.

According to this flowmap, it is capable of about 340-350g/s airflow.

And stock injectors are rated 450cc at 3bar pressure. Our car operate at about 4bars and since they use DECOS, it goes up to 5.x bar stock. Stock injectors are about 560cc at that pressure.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Stock low load/idle fuel pressure is 400kpa..

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry, you meant fuel pressure.

I doubt the new injectors are ever run at full 650cc with the new turbo and software.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts