SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
iOS 13.1.3 - Music Bluetooth Problem

So here's a new one - I listed to music through Bluetooth streaming - always. I recently bought an iPhone 11 Pro and have had no problems with it - expect the updates have done some weird things to album artwork but nothing that had an effect on my car/phone compatibility. Tonight I had a playlist on and I selected the first song and it was playing fine. I then decided to change the track to one further down the list - I scrolled through and touched the song and nothing happened. I can no longer select a track from the list. I could have sworn i've done this before with the most recent update but it would not work. I then changed the playiist and once again, I could pick the first track and then nothing. I can use the "next" button but I can't pick another song from that list. I'm also seeing the playlist is not always populating and sometimes getting confused with what was on the screen previously - the tracks were all mixed up between two different playlist.

I seem to be able to use the touchscreen as usual if i'm listing to an album - I can pick tracks from the screen - but not a playlist. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Do you have the same problem if you listen to the music/playlists natively on your iPhone, or only when streaming to your XC40? Do you have another device you could try streaming your music to, to try and isolate the issue to one device or the other — sorry, had to ask (my old technical support self just popped-out from ancient times!).

BTW, with album artwork, are you also having those problems having migrated from iTunes to the new Music App with Catalina on a Mac — several reports of missing artwork (I had initial problems too). If you’re using Apple Music or iTunes Match, and the art is gone on your Mac, it may be gone from the cloud version you’re trying to play or stream via an iOS device. Again, does the track art show natively on your Mac and iPhone, but just not on the Volvo when streaming the same track — or is it missing everywhere? If the latter, it’s likely a Catalina iTunes->Music migration issue we should take offline as it’s not a Volvo unique thing.

I’ve read some reports of various Bluetooth challenges still lingering with 13.1 — can’t remember specifics, but nothing stuck in my head as to what I’d call a pervasive issue that I’m aware of, except maybe with Apple Watch 5 and watchOS on it. I’ve seen in passing reports of an increasing number of iOS 13.2 betas dropping to developers in the past couple weeks, so I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t have another public GA update next week or soon thereafter that may hopefully help with some of the initial lingering problems.

Good luck with your resolution!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have the same problem if you listen to the music/playlists natively on your iPhone, or only when streaming to your XC40? Do you have another device you could try streaming your music to, to try and isolate the issue to one device or the other — sorry, had to ask (my old technical support self just popped-out from ancient times!).

BTW, with album artwork, are you also having those problems having migrated from iTunes to the new Music App with Catalina on a Mac — several reports of missing artwork (I had initial problems too). If you’re using Apple Music or iTunes Match, and the art is gone on your Mac, it may be gone from the cloud version you’re trying to play or stream via an iOS device. Again, does the track art show natively on your Mac and iPhone, but just not on the Volvo when streaming the same track — or is it missing everywhere? If the latter, it’s likely a Catalina iTunes->Music migration issue we should take offline as it’s not a Volvo unique thing.

I’ve read some reports of various Bluetooth challenges still lingering with 13.1 — can’t remember specifics, but nothing stuck in my head as to what I’d call a pervasive issue that I’m aware of, except maybe with Apple Watch 5 and watchOS on it. I’ve seen in passing reports of an increasing number of iOS 13.2 betas dropping to developers in the past couple weeks, so I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t have another public GA update next week or soon thereafter that may hopefully help with some of the initial lingering problems.

Good luck with your resolution!
I have an iPad - I guess I could try that? I just spend some time re-synching my music, resetting my phone and re-pairing the phone in the car but I am still only able to select the first song I want to hear - after that, the touchscreen is useless - unless I go back out, select another album/playlist and start over again but I can only pick the first track - touching another song does nothing. If i'm playing an album, it functions normally.

No problems on the iPhone itself as far as playlist go.

As far as the artwork, it's mostly playlist artwork that's messed up. I haven't updated my computer yet - so I don't know what i'll be in for but yeah, that's not a Volvo thing. I keep wanting to work on this music issue, but I feel like this may be out of my hands.

Thanks and i'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just remembered — and this is just a shot in the dark. Try unpairing your iPhone with your Volvo, be 100% sure it’s gone there, then do the same on your iPhone to ensure you’ve eliminated all traces of the Volvo. Then, re-pair and try streaming again. I’ve done that trick many times over the years in other cars (Android users have done same thing — so please no Apple haters! ;)) and it has sometimes fixed mysterious problems with streaming and phone squelching at connect/disconnect.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well, we were responding to each other at the same time. Hummm.

iPadOS has a common iOS code base, so I doubt that will change much — BUT, it would be worth a try pairing it with your Volvo just to see if your iPad also has same problems streaming to your Volvo, you then know it’s not your new iPhone hardware — and either an iOS bug or a Volvo incompatibility. IIRC, the iPhone 11 has a newer Bluetooth chip level — I’d have to go research that — so if you have problem with only your iPhone and not your (older) iPad, we’ll hope the new iOS level will improve things. If not, then honestly, I’d call Apple Support. Let us know how the iPad test goes. I’ll try to do a little research for you tomorrow when my head is clearer, if I can possibly help.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, we were responding to each other at the same time. Hummm.

iPadOS has a common iOS code base, so I doubt that will change much — BUT, it would be worth a try pairing it with your Volvo just to see if your iPad also has same problems streaming to your Volvo, you then know it’s not your new iPhone hardware — and either an iOS bug or a Volvo incompatibility. IIRC, the iPhone 11 has a newer Bluetooth chip level — I’d have to go research that — so if you have problem with only your iPhone and not your (older) iPad, we’ll hope the new iOS level will improve things. If not, then honestly, I’d call Apple Support. Let us know how the iPad test goes. I’ll try to do a little research for you tomorrow when my head is clearer, if I can possibly help.
I just did the iPad test - older iPad air, I haven't undated it at all to 13, and it works like it should with my car - no problems at all. So, at this point, it seems like it's the phone. I believe it was functioning fine with the last update but this current one may have been the one to mess things up. I'll be waiting for the new update and I hope that fixes this because it will get annoying after a while.

I did try removing all traces of the Volvo/phone and re-did the pairing process but didn't have luck - but i'll try again tomorrow. If you think of anything else, please let me know! Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sorry you're having the problems, but GREAT that you had an iPad to try as well ...and thanks for doing the complete unpair/delete/repair process. So, yes, the problem is isolated to your new iPhone 11 Pro and/or iOS 13 -- both being different from your iPad.

I did just look at hardware specs for the 11 Pro -- it has the same Bluetooth 5.0 as the last 3 gens (8, X, & XR). Not sure where you're coming from, but the much older iPhone 7 had Bluetooth 4.2. Certainly, your new phone could have a Bluetooth hardware problem, but that's generally not where anyone would start with problem determination -- software is. As mentioned earlier, I've had problems with Bluetooth Streaming breaking with new levels of software as I've switched phones over the years in multiple cars (as do Android owners from time-to-time) -- all problems resolved after one or more phone OS updates. Exception was one car that didn't seem to support one of the Bluetooth standards correctly -- I wouldn't be worried with that right now, and believe it's an Apple problem with either your new phone or iOS.

If you don't like tinkering with this technical stuff, I suggest waiting for the next iOS 13 update that should be coming shortly and give that a try first. If you listen to your own music most of the time, putting some of it on a USB stick is an easy workaround while you wait, or I suppose lugging your now-paired iPad would also do the trick if you need tunes from the net.

OTOH, you have a new iPhone 11, so even if you didn't buy AppleCare, you're within the free 90-day window for Apple's best level of unlimited support. https://support.apple.com/iphone will connect you with that, and you can have a tech call you when you're ready. Sometimes customer "cards and letters" help move known problems up on the to-be-worked list, or you may even find they have a workaround or are able to tell you that other Volvo owners are having similar issues and the problem is being worked. I always told my customers that it was better to report a problem that may already be known, than not -- you never know if the information you provide may help the company resolve an issue faster with more detail only you provide, or you help move it up on their priority list because of more customers calling in about the same thing. If you call now AYC, even if it isn't fixed with the current iOS level, you'll have an incident number that is easily reopened after you install the next iOS level so you don't have to start over with basic explanations again... Sorta your call as to if you're a bit of a geek or just like nuisances resolved faster (both describe me ;)).

...and not really suggesting you do this, but if you are a geeky type, you could try updating your iPad to the new iPadOS 13. If your iPad then still works with your Volvo, that would be an interesting data point for Apple -- perhaps isolating code differences between iPad and iPhone if there is any with Bluetooth, or maybe pointing them to pursue more tests on your iPhone Bluetooth hardware connectivity. If your iPad stops working once it's updated, well, you've then pretty well isolated the issue to iOS and know it's not your physical iPhone 11 Pro -- no question. ;)

Good luck!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry you're having the problems, but GREAT that you had an iPad to try as well ...and thanks for doing the complete unpair/delete/repair process. So, yes, the problem is isolated to your new iPhone 11 Pro and/or iOS 13 -- both being different from your iPad.

I did just look at hardware specs for the 11 Pro -- it has the same Bluetooth 5.0 as the last 3 gens (8, X, & XR). Not sure where you're coming from, but the much older iPhone 7 had Bluetooth 4.2. Certainly, your new phone could have a Bluetooth hardware problem, but that's generally not where anyone would start with problem determination -- software is. As mentioned earlier, I've had problems with Bluetooth Streaming breaking with new levels of software as I've switched phones over the years in multiple cars (as do Android owners from time-to-time) -- all problems resolved after one or more phone OS updates. Exception was one car that didn't seem to support one of the Bluetooth standards correctly -- I wouldn't be worried with that right now, and believe it's an Apple problem with either your new phone or iOS.

If you don't like tinkering with this technical stuff, I suggest waiting for the next iOS 13 update that should be coming shortly and give that a try first. If you listen to your own music most of the time, putting some of it on a USB stick is an easy workaround while you wait, or I suppose lugging your now-paired iPad would also do the trick if you need tunes from the net.

OTOH, you have a new iPhone 11, so even if you didn't buy AppleCare, you're within the free 90-day window for Apple's best level of unlimited support. https://support.apple.com/iphone will connect you with that, and you can have a tech call you when you're ready. Sometimes customer "cards and letters" help move known problems up on the to-be-worked list, or you may even find they have a workaround or are able to tell you that other Volvo owners are having similar issues and the problem is being worked. I always told my customers that it was better to report a problem that may already be known, than not -- you never know if the information you provide may help the company resolve an issue faster with more detail only you provide, or you help move it up on their priority list because of more customers calling in about the same thing. If you call now AYC, even if it isn't fixed with the current iOS level, you'll have an incident number that is easily reopened after you install the next iOS level so you don't have to start over with basic explanations again... Sorta your call as to if you're a bit of a geek or just like nuisances resolved faster (both describe me ;)).

...and not really suggesting you do this, but if you are a geeky type, you could try updating your iPad to the new iPadOS 13. If your iPad then still works with your Volvo, that would be an interesting data point for Apple -- perhaps isolating code differences between iPad and iPhone if there is any with Bluetooth, or maybe pointing them to pursue more tests on your iPhone Bluetooth hardware connectivity. If your iPad stops working once it's updated, well, you've then pretty well isolated the issue to iOS and know it's not your physical iPhone 11 Pro -- no question. ;)

Good luck!
First, thanks for the reply and suggestions! I had an iPhone X and then went to the 11 Pro. iOS 13 was fine until the last update. It's been a few days and i'm already annoyed by it. I think i've exhausted my efforts and i'm trying to live with the fact that I can't fix it and that it's out of my hands (not easy for me to do when it comes to things working properly). iOS 13 messed up my playlist artwork as well and I know that's a common problem. I hope Apple gets it together soon. The next time i'm with someone who has iOS 13 i'm going to see if they can pair their phone with my car and we'll see if I can use the touchscreen to select tracks.

In the meantime I tried Apple CarPlay and while I love it I hate the fact I have to plug in my phone - ok, an easy thing to do but it defeats the purpose of the wireless charging pad. It was nice to get into the car without keys and accessing my phone without taking it out of my pocket. I feel like it's as step backwards to plug in my phone now. I would have been using CarPlay from day one if I didn't have to plug in the phone to use it.

I don't think i'll be updating my iPad - it's working fine and i'm going to leave it at that. I'm going to contact AppleCare just so they know and I will keep you updated! I appreciate your research and suggestions.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Completely agree about how desirable Wireless CarPlay (or Android Auto) would be. CarPlay itself is now capable, but very few mfgrs have enabled wireless thus far. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if Volvo steps up to that plate with our “old cars” (and mine hasn’t even been built yet), but suspect they’ll more likely stabilize functional Sensus changes and put more of their development effort into the new Android Auto code base that is now publicly announced for the new XC40-electric and follow-on gens. Time will tell.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the exact same issue on my iPhone XS Max - can’t select any song after the first one via the touchscreen. This just started when I upgraded this week. Pretty sure it’s iOS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the exact same issue on my iPhone XS Max - can’t select any song after the first one via the touchscreen. This just started when I upgraded this week. Pretty sure it’s iOS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The most recent update has fixed the problem. However, if you change the playlist the track listing might remain from the previous one you were listening to. It happened to be a few times but not always - if you manually change the song it may correct itself, it may not - so not 100% back to normal. Still a poor iOS that i'm disappointed in but that's another topic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Music USB connection

So here's a new one - I listed to music through Bluetooth streaming - always. I recently bought an iPhone 11 Pro and have had no problems with it - expect the updates have done some weird things to album artwork but nothing that had an effect on my car/phone compatibility. Tonight I had a playlist on and I selected the first song and it was playing fine. I then decided to change the track to one further down the list - I scrolled through and touched the song and nothing happened. I can no longer select a track from the list. I could have sworn i've done this before with the most recent update but it would not work. I then changed the playiist and once again, I could pick the first track and then nothing. I can use the "next" button but I can't pick another song from that list. I'm also seeing the playlist is not always populating and sometimes getting confused with what was on the screen previously - the tracks were all mixed up between two different playlist.

I seem to be able to use the touchscreen as usual if i'm listing to an album - I can pick tracks from the screen - but not a playlist. Anyone else have this issue?
Ever since Apple updated iOS to 13.3 I have been unable to play any music from my iPhone 7+ when connected through the USB port on my 2017 V60 Polestar. The car can read the iPhone, but not play anything from either my music or podcast libraries. When I spoke with Volvo USA this morning, they, of course, said I needed to take the car to the dealer.

·
Registered
695 Posts
...unable to play any music from my iPhone 7+ when connected through the USB port on my 2017 V60 Polestar...
As a former 2015.5 V60 driver, I hear you. I suspect you may need to get a Sensus software update at the dealer. Hope your V60 Polestar is doing well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts