SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been in the Volvo game for a few years now on VS at first and I'm really migrated to TurboBricks as I tend to find the VS group to be a little "stuck up." Then I joined Floridavolvocommunity.net

I've know about swedespeed forever but never really joined as I thought it was more geared twords the newer s-60/AWD group. But I decided a few days ago to look around and found the 850 section and decided to join.

My S/N on all the other forums is z31jaime except for fvc which im 2tone850.

foe those of you who don't know me or my car.... On with the introductions...

My pride and Joy is my 1995 850 turbo wagon. I got it with 132,00 mile on the clock and traded a fully built 5.0 mustang for it. When I got it the owner had done a cool 2 tone paint job on it, but had some kind of funky body kit on it with 17" nistos...

With the exception of the cone filter, polished upper intake pipe, and OEM CF spark plug cover, and poly mount, the motor was stock and in desprate need of a stage zero.

the interior was mostly stock except for a black headliner and speakers in the doors...

I was SOOOOOOO not a fan of the set up so I sorced some darker door panels from an R and dropped them in to to clean up the interor. Eventually I would also swap in newer leather seats and a v70R shif knob to finish up the clean interior...

color difference...

once the inside was taken care of I started to work on the body kit. A buddy found 3/4 of an R bumper at a junk yard.. the entire driver side was lost in an accident. Both of us have experience in body work we were able to make an almost seamless graft of a NON R bumper for the rest of it, used some chicken wire and fiberglass to recreat the R lip on it and BAM... $25 junk yard bumper + $50 in supplies... couple of weekends of work and........ woulds cheapest R bumper!

fiberglass

install... keep in mind this entire corner was missing when we got the bumper...

Installed...

I then turned my attention to the rear bumper which I was shocked to find the orignal bumper under the body kit... well most of it... what didn't melt away...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From Day one I knew I wanted to go Dual exhaust on this car, but finding a V70R bumper was going to be almost impossable and super expensive to ship, At a local Junk yard I found an XC70 rear bumper for $50... and a buddy sold me his OEM V70R rear mufflers for another $100 and I ended up with this...

And for some time the car was just a beater like this... the side skirt had been molded to the car and as much as I hated them it was going to be super expensive to remove them and repaint the car... so they got to stay...

about a year later I got new wheels and the project started up again..

I finally sent the bumpers to be painted, blacked out the headlight housings, and did the turn signals in all Amber to be a little different...

I played with the idea of adding 99 s40 front lip to the rear bumpers but never finished the project... soon to come...

I assume most people know mattphi, so when he upgraded his suspension to IPD springs and then later to AIR I picked up his old rear springs...
(him helping me put them in)

The problem was because he had cut them I couldn't find front spring to sit low enought.. so I used an old trick I knew and used lowering clamps on my OEM springs... this ended up giving me a really low set up on the car, but it rode like crap...

Matt on AIR (first attempt.... he is lower now) me on clamped springs...

roller of the car...

Several months later I decided I had had enough. My buddy Bill (green wagon pictured above) parted out his wagon and I went crazy...

picked up Koni yellows, Weitec springs, QBM HD endlinks, eggcrate grill, stylin motors silicone radiator and vaccume lines, and my personl fav... the cargo cover with shelf..

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
once the car looked good and drove good, I decided to start my motor work. the stage zero had been done through the process of the other upgrades but now it was time for the go fast parts. The motor saw:

ARD 17PSI GReen tune
NA Cams
Na Throttle body with 960 plate
Ported intake manifold
Snabb intake manifold spacer
16T upgrade
white injectors
3" down pipe
3" high flow cat.
2.5" magnaflow muffler going to a Y pipe into the dual outs... I left the OEM tips to make is Sleeper status...
Samco intercooler hose kit
XS MBC
Kevlar braded oil cooler lines
Intake maifold, top motor mount, and other random small bits powder coated in Gunmetal.
valve/cam cover powder coated in black chrome.
EST strut brace

added projector headlights painted to match the "gunmetal" color of the car.
and added a 960 lip.

This is the wagon as of a few weeks ago...

awaiting plans include... Full FMIC kit, finish the s40 lip molding, SNABB intake pipe, wideband, EBC, Mechanical CBV, and finished.

Then we move on to the rest of my volvo projects...
Moms 96 854 turbo...

mods are...
16" v70R "satalites"
and 93 honda accord rear spoiler (HEY it fits the car well...and was free)

Girlfriends 96 GLT (currently for sale)

plack v70 turbo wheels
clear turn signals
IPD first gen grill.

OH and my parts car... that keeps me alive....
Had 350,000 mile when the motor finally gave out after being overheated 3 times (not by me) so no I have my own personal Junk yard whenever I need stuff I just go and take it off this one...

so yea... car wash days are alway fun its like my own mini meet

LOL.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
So, how much do you think you have in the wagon? We use to be a 3 Volvo family; 960, 850 T-5R, and S70 GLT. I don't think I could keep up with 3 FWD Volvo's, maintenance wise.

Oh, we need a pic of the motor again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, how much do you think you have in the wagon? We use to be a 3 Volvo family; 960, 850 T-5R, and S70 GLT. I don't think I could keep up with 3 FWD Volvo's, maintenance wise.

Oh, we need a pic of the motor again.
I'll work on the pic, as for $$$ between everything I've done, I'm right around $2000.... I refuse to Pay anyone to do anything I can do myself, so with the exception of ECU, Exhaust, Alignment, and Wheels/tires everyting I've done myself and I'm very patient when It come to waiting for the right price on parts. And the FL crew is very good at taking care of each other. So we are always swapping parts and finding stuff at junk yards. I Owe ALOT of thanks from this Wagon to ROBt5, Tech, and Matty. They are always around when I need them for a quick "how do I do this..."

Welcome to SS...very nice, I like your style. :thumbup:

what does it do in 1/4 time-wise?
Haven't run it at the track yet, I'm waiting for a few things still. (I need to put the wideband in to see what my A/Fs look like as the car smells like its running rich) I need better tires (el' chepo' Hercules tires SUCK), and I wan't to replace the valve seals in the head to make sure everything is buttoned up nice and tight.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Haven't run it at the track yet, I'm waiting for a few things still. (I need to put the wideband in to see what my A/Fs look like as the car smells like its running rich) I need better tires (el' chepo' Hercules tires SUCK), and I wan't to replace the valve seals in the head to make sure everything is buttoned up nice and tight.
I see, I have to take my 850 back some day... are you going to take the head off or change the seals while it is on? I am in process installing AFR as well and oil temp. To bad you've already got you tune, I'd recommend this guy in Portugal...it is awesome and it is on 4.4 Motronic S70 T-5 Ecu.

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topi...cu-motronic-44-upgraded-ecu-18psi-not-by-ard/

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The guys at FVC did a group buy for the Valve seal tool so we don't have to take the head off. we all put in like $10 and its a community tool. So I plan to use that. We did robs seals with it and it wasn't tooo hard. I thought about going 4.4 and all that jazz, but a few things kept me from it... #1 I don't plan to ever go 5 speed (wife cant drive stick and in an emergency she may need to use it) #2 my 95 came with OBD1 support so I really don't need the OBD 2 to do anything. I find the OBD1 to be WAY more accurate than the OBD2 to begin with.

So taking all that into account... and the fact that I didn't go Balls out, 18T/ rebuilt motor etc etc etc. A simple Green ARD tune was the way I went.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
motor pix as requested...

Snabb NA Tb hose

Cat i picked

Exhaust components

Snabb Manifold spacer V2

turbo rebuild kit

White injectors

Spacer install

Old leaky oil cooler lines

New Kevlar braded oil cooler lines with screw on fittings... no more pulling from the radiator needed

Polished throttle body

Polished Dipstick tube

Porting intake manifold for the bigger throttle body

Swapping cams

Prepping for powdercoating...

Black chrome (I decided to do a Matt clear vs gloss) and polished bolts

Turbo rebuild

Old 15G vs New Rebuild 16T

Downtipe

Front with 960 lip

everyone loves grass shots

Carbon fiber on black chrome

Little sticker I had made

everything in and running

I didn't want to go with 2 much of any 1 color, all polish, or all red or all Carbon fiber. I find that I like the ballance I have found with my combo... just enough of each to give it a custom look without looking like it should be in a honda... I think... Open to suggestions though.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
how much was the aluminum cross brace? Im not sure if I named it correctly, but that aluminium piece that connects the strut towers?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That style is no longer made..... its by OBX...

I tried to order it online from here...
http://www.racingpartdepot.com/servlet/the-2433/OBX-Strut-Bar-93-dsh-97/Detail

but they refunded me the money saying it was out of stock. A buddy of mine upgraded to the OMP bar and sold me this one for $50.

If your looking to get one, the only 2 options I know are...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RACIN...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27cd7a6341&vxp=mtr

and

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/6520/114954-hd-strut-brace-p80-black

·
Registered
226 Posts
Haven't run it at the track yet, I'm waiting for a few things still. (I need to put the wideband in to see what my A/Fs look like as the car smells like its running rich)
Get a new oem fpr and check to see if the hoses atop your gas tank have holes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fuel system is all new on the car, LOL. Pump, lines, etc etc etc have all been replaced. I think its just the oil burn off from my leaky valve seals... but I just want to be safe. I didn't notice a BIG change from the 15G to the 16T, but I will say that There is a BIG change between mine and My buddys s-70 with an 18T.

Although his car is Insane once it spools, I find mine to be a bit more punchy and fun to drive. Which is exactly what I wanted. I do 95% city driving so I wanted to be able to hit the gas and get instant responce. I'm note really worried about how the car pulls up top. I needed the low/mid pull. With the lager 18T even after a tune, he has the Lag that most big turbo owners complain about. The only reasons I went 16T vs 15G were ... #1 I have a 95 so it had the smaller conical flange which I needed to upgrade, and #2 when my buddy went 18T he GAVE me the 16T (which needed a rebuild after 220,000 miles). So when looking at Rebuild/upgrade the 15G.. vs Rebuild the 16T which is an entire bolt on upgrade it was more cost effective to do the 16T.

Now on the Flip side, he has 95% highway driving and on the highway his 18T is much more comfortable/fun to drive than my 16T. My car for sure feels like its running out of power up top compaired to his. I'm sure any car guy will know what I'm talking about when I say... his car just "feels" like its not working as hard up top.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts