SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I go by Z and I've used the same forum name through most forums and there have been a few ( Audizine, Rennlist, Nasioc, Zdriver, 986forum, etc). I thought I'd introduce myself as I've been reading and absorbing as much as I could over the past week. Last Sunday I woke up, went to the gym and as I was walking on the treadmill I was browsing FB marketplace and Craigslist since that has been a daily routine. I came across an add for a 2004 Volvo S60R. clicked on it, looked decent enough. I texted the guy, no response. Gave it what it seemed like forever (2 mins on a treadmill) and called the guy. Anything to get me off that machine. I did as most enthusiast do which is start asking about the services and maintenance and the vehicle history. Owner was not very chatty and kept repeating it needs nothing, everything is great. Now I know that always means it needs things...how many things does it need is the question?

I asked him to hold the car until Monday so I can come get it. I offered a deposit through PP or Venmo and he refused. Seeing that I was getting absolutely nowhere with this guy (and not wanting to walk away from this car) I told him I would be there in 3 hours if he can hold the car for me. He still refused. So I did what every sane person would do, get in the car and start driving. Like I said, anything to skip a workout. I get there and there was the car. 2004 Flash Green over Atacama S60R with a manual transmission with 97,154 miles on the odo. At a first glance I can see it has a body kit ( front winglets are missing, if you know of some please HELP), some ugly aftermarket wheels, door dings galore, dings on the roof where a tree fell on it and a small love tap on the rear bumper. Car turns over fine, no lights on the dash, small seam tear on the seats (owner had seat covers on for ages). Everything is in line with a car that's two decades old.

We start to drive and immediately I am greeted with a very very loud wheel bearing noise, or at least I hope that's what it is. I look over at him and repeat his words... "Needs nothing, huh?" to which he replied it's been that way since I've had it. Then I politely let him know I will give it some WOT to feel the car. I was in second and as I stepped on it I could feel the front wheels lose a bit of traction. Then I take off from the light (not launching, just easing into it) and the car starts to buck and hesitate. Well be that as it may, I hand him the cash, get the title and curbed factory 17" pegs, some random car cover and head home.

So this is where my quest begins. I am hoping the loud noise is just a wheel bearing. It gets louder and louder and louder with the speed of the car and not RPM. Would that be the case with the angle gear as well? I do not think AWD system is working as I got stuck in my driveway and the first "mod" was paying a tow company to pull the car out as it was stuck on the side of the hill.

I've ordered an oil change kit, new plugs, coils, fuel and air filters to get me started. I don't think the T belt was changed either. I will update this with car pics and my findings as I have not had a chance to get under the car. I pulled the carfax yesterday and it is a 2 owner car. PO bought the car from Carmax in 2006 for $39,800 (found the sticker). Also recommendations for curb rash repair are also welcome. Happy to be here.
-Z

Here are the only two pics I have so far

·
Registered
OSD Addict | 6 Cars And Counting
2,825 Posts
Congrats on the car! Post photos! I heard about the car but never got to see the listing. Hope you figure out the issues through this thread.

Oh, also, PSA. Just know there’s another “z” on this forum, who’s also in Maryland

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on the car! Post photos! I heard about the car but never got to see the listing. Hope you figure out the issues through this thread.

Oh, also, PSA. Just know there’s another “z” on this forum, who’s also in Maryland
Thank you, I will post more photos this weekend as I tear into it. I've always been so fond of these R's and there is a guy in my area with a wagon. Unsure if manual or not, but I've been threating my wife that I will just pull into their driveway and ask them to sell it to me. My nickname came from twin turbo 300zx's. I am in Virginia, but I think I've read through some of his thread (red v70R)

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Nice car! Ugly wheels is right haha.
Congrats!
Once you get a handle on maintenance I suggest grabbing a DICE unit so you can get onto VIDA which will help you greatly with troubleshooting in the future.
For oem parts, Fcpeuro has a good lifetime replacement policy and lots of oem parts that are not Volvo branded (insane up charge.) IPD and VIVA are great places to get aftermarket parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice car! Ugly wheels is right haha.
Congrats!
Once you get a handle on maintenance I suggest grabbing a DICE unit so you can get onto VIDA which will help you greatly with troubleshooting in the future.
For oem parts, Fcpeuro has a good lifetime replacement policy and lots of oem parts that are not Volvo branded (insane up charge.) IPD and VIVA are great places to get aftermarket parts.

Thank you! Everything was ordered through FCP euro. Love those guys. they get a lot of my money as I am rehabbing a 2002 boxster as well. Any suggestions where to get a dice unit? There was a seller that sold VIDA laptops around here but I am unable to find him. I am a mac user for the most part so I would like a dedicated laptop for diagnostics software.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Kit was ordered through FCP euro. Love those guys. they get a lot of my money as I am rehabbing a 2002 boxster as well. Any suggestions where to get a dice unit? There was a seller that sold VIDA laptops around here but I am unable to find him. I am a mac user for the most part so I would like a dedicated laptop for diagnostics software.
Nice, yeah they’re great.

I bought mine on eBay a long time ago I would look there.
Any windows laptop that supports virtualization will do. My DICE unit came with a VMware virtual machine file already set up with windows 7 and VIDA pre installed. All I had to do was install VMware and open the virtual machine file supplied with the DICE. Works flawlessly with no fuss at all. Just keep that in mind when you read all of the countless threads of people trying to figure out how to actually install VIDA on their computer. If you need the virtual machine file, PM me.

Reactions: z_wrecker

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome to the club!

if its a wheel bearing that is that loud then there should be play if you jack the car up and wiggle the tire laterally and vertically.

Also as someone who has recently bought an S60R that was somewhat neglected, its a slippery slope and i'm about 2.5x over my repair budget getting my car sorted and there are still some things I am postponing because they aren't too bad.

1) Do all of the fluids ASAP
2) If you can't find Timing belt service do it as well with water pump. Might as well do serpentine & pully as well as check the power steering pump
3) I bought my DICE unit from @TacklaNHL A couple weeks ago. He's not on the forum much but i got it and it was pretty easy. Make sure to download VDASH and pay the $24 IIRC to recode the Chinese DICE unit so that it will work with a real VIDA subcription.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help! I plan on getting the car in the garage this weekend and checking for wheel bearing. I hope that's the issue and not something worse. No lights on the dash. 4C works great. I plan on doing TB service (will inspect it this weekend) along with all the pulleys and serpentine belt. Fluids will be next for sure. If I am honest flash green is a bit too... flashy for me but it is growing on me. My wife hated it once I brought the car home. Since then I've gotten it's not so bad...for you which I'll take as a win.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Nice score, worth $20K easy once sorted (body/mechanicals).
+1
Owning a Volvo (or any high end euro vehicle) is one of the best investments you'll make!
Said nobody, ever

That's a lovely color!
As for the wheels, yes, they aren't the best looking, but the smaller size and taller sidewall are much more "winter friendly" (potholes etc) than the ultra-low profile factory wheels.

First Volvo eh? well then, as you spend more time with it, please make sure to update us on how your enjoying your first "Volvo experience"

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First Volvo yes…however my entire driving experience has been wrapped around very needy and temperamental cars. That being said… I’ve popped the hood and just looked under there. Have not turned a wrench or a screwdriver yet on this car. You might see it for sale after the weekend
We are talking 23 years of bruised knuckles for the sake of being an enthusiast. Wouldn’t have it any other way.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well… I spoke too soon. Stopped to inquire about a state inspection and check engine light is on and the car turns over, starts then dies. I do not have my OBD2 scanner or any tools on me. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Scanned code P0497 at autozone on the way home. I’ll be digging into it tonight and tomorrow.

This is where VIDA/DiCE comes in SUPER handy in fault tracing... good luck and congrats on the purchase. Beautiful color.

Reactions: z_wrecker

·
Premium Member
1998 Volvo V70 AWD Nautic Blue/Tan
35 Posts
Nice choice and good luck! Doug DeMuro just did a video on a Flash Green/Atacama S60R a few weeks ago…enjoy! If the link doesn’t work just do a quick search…

JHop

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Evap valve ordered this evening. I was able to just quickly glance under the hood and somewhat under the car. More to come tomorrow. This is what I’ve found so far:
Top engine Mount (engine torque rod I think) is completely shot. Literally all the rubber is gone. More than likely others will need replacing as well. I’ll see tomorrow
There seems to be power steering seepage from the power steering reservoir. Possibly a loose clamp or deteriorating hose.
What I assume is the oil cooler seems to be covered in oil. Possibly a seal? Oil cooler seems newish
Angle gear housing (sorry if not correct terminology) looks to be caked in stuff. I couldn’t get under the car properly.
Newish radiator
Seems to have some wires cut on the driver side
A hose that runs the length of the car on the passenger side seems to be cut. More on that tomorrow.
Newer air filter (have a replacement on the way already)
Volvo coils. I could only verify one since I removed the cover to inspect the timing belt. New on order
Timing belt looks to be in good shape, couldn’t find a sticker for it being replaced.
Serpentine belt looks great and looks to have newer pulleys
That’s all I can see. I will post some pictures with unplugged harnesses and cut wires (possibly aftermarket alarm?) tomorrow or Sunday.

Appreciate everyone’s help. Car is refusing to start after I cleared the p0497 code. I will pull off the evap valve tomorrow and bench test it. Is there a way to “unstuck” it or clean it until the new one comes in?

Thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions and for being so welcoming. Car definitely needs some TLC and is faaaaaar from “needing nothing”.

1 - 20 of 285 Posts