SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI! I recently purchased a 2001 V70 Cross Country with 137,xxx miles on it and within a few weeks its already above 138,xxx miles. loving it so far! This is a great addition to my 07 S60R and 07 XC80 V8 Sport.
Since owning it I got the oil change done, replaced the spark plugs with OEM Volvo ones, upgraded the trans software, full interior and exterior detail and some forever black. Trans flush was last done at 133k miles and was done regularly by the previous owner. I might get the PCV done soon too, not that it needs it but at this mileage I might as well get it done since it's never been done. I got 50%/15% tint on the wagon and it looks great now! The old muffler was making a rattling noise so chopped that off for now, sounds decent with minimal drone at low speeds and at highway cruising speeds its pretty silent. I plan on getting a bigger downpipe and a custom exhaust in the future and maybe a tune. Other than that just want to drive it and maintain it.

Who sells a downpipe for the cross country?
Will my S60R rear sway bar fit on the XC?
Thinking about getting General Altimax Arctic 215/70/16 tires for winter, would that size fit on the car as it sits now? Anyone have those on their XC?
I might lift the XC using the Bad Swede lift kit, unless there is major issues with lifting it. thoughts on that?
The rear end does sit a bit lower not sure if that's how its supposed to be but I'd prefer the rear lifted up a lot more, this way it would be level if I filled it up with crap.

some pics!

rear view mirror was pretty hazy, went to walmart and got this wider rear view cover, fits perfectly and I can see more with it. not bad for a $12 fix.

dog hair all over the carpets and the seats had never seen a conditioner. cleaned it up as nice as we could. carpets looks brand new, the rear seats are torn up really bad but they look much better than before. front seats are clean and supple now. I will be finding better seats to swap to come spring.

at Midwest Clearbra

spot the two tone trim!

MINT!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Damn that looks great, very clean. I run 215/70r16 Cooper ATs on my '04 with no issues. People clear 225s it seems but not with ANY room to spare. I have a set of Bad Swede springs in my shed awaiting install. I'm holding off a bit tho to see how current owners fare with theirs. So far it seems everyone I've encountered who's running em has replaced 1 or more axles within the first 5k. Tough to say whether that's the fault of the lift, the larger tires associated with it, or both. My guess is the latter. I'd expect swifter wear on ball joints/LCA/tie rods etc as is typical with most lifts. Other than thst people seem really happy with them and love the firmer, higher ride.

I've done a bunch of light mods and accessorizing to make it a more useful and rugged vehicle that suits my needs. While the XC doesn't enjoy the aftermarket support of Subaru for soft road/adventure touring ,There's a ton you can do with it with some creativity and I've been enjoying the car a lot more since I set off in that direction.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn that looks great, very clean. I run 215/70r16 Cooper ATs on my '04 with no issues. People clear 225s it seems but not with ANY room to spare. I have a set of Bad Swede springs in my shed awaiting install. I'm holding off a bit tho to see how current owners fare with theirs. So far it seems everyone I've encountered who's running em has replaced 1 or more axles within the first 5k. Tough to say whether that's the fault of the lift, the larger tires associated with it, or both. My guess is the latter. I'd expect swifter wear on ball joints/LCA/tie rods etc as is typical with most lifts. Other than thst people seem really happy with them and love the firmer, higher ride.

I've done a bunch of light mods and accessorizing to make it a more useful and rugged vehicle that suits my needs. While the XC doesn't enjoy the aftermarket support of Subaru for soft road/adventure touring ,There's a ton you can do with it with some creativity and I've been enjoying the car a lot more since I set off in that direction.

thanks man! I've been following your thread it's inspiring and wanting me to do a lot more!

are there any springs that can stiffen up the rear end and bring it up an inch or two if I didn't want to do a full lift kit. my only issue is the saggy rear end. I just had the axles replaced on mine right before buying it and the previous owner did a front suspension overhaul in the beginning of the year.

I would consider a Subaru but their interiors and seats just dont do it for me.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guessing one kit isn't enough to cover? Car looks great by the way. 3M film?
yup 3M fx premium tint. yea just one kit covered the front and rear bumpers for me, i think mine were in bad shape and just absorbed all the dye in no time.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Weird, the rear doesn't look too saggy in any of the pictures, but I guess without a sideshot it'd be hard to say. To my knowledges there are very few aftermarket suspension options for the XC rn. It's possible you could track down a stiffer spring? But if your looking for an inch or two the bad swedes are 52mm and about 10% stiffer so should fit the bill. I've lately been curious if there is a non-lowering coilover for it, but haven't found one yet.

Check euro sport tuning for down pipe etc. I'm looking into their aftermarket touring exhaust in the next year. But Antherzoll is the dude to talk to about all that ****. I'm just warming up and finding my sea legs with simple bolt Ons and Havent really stepped it up to genuine performance mods yet :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice Pick-up! I love seeing another XC70 fan out there!

The R DP will fit the XC70, so search along those lines.

Not too sure, but I think the S60/V70 suspensions are almost identical from what I've seen. I have the V70R and the only real difference has been the exhaust system vs the S60

Thinking about getting General Altimax Arctic 215/70/16 tires for winter, would that size fit on the car as it sits now? Anyone have those on their XC?
That's a good size if you plan on going up a bit. I am running 225/65 R17 on my XC70 now with the lift kit.

I might lift the XC using the Bad Swede lift kit, unless there is major issues with lifting it. thoughts on that?
I haven't had any ill effects from installing the lift at all. The only strange thing is that the springs are a bit wide and on full droop they touch the chassis. My only other complaint is I have experienced some coil bind, but that's only on some really sharp turns in parking lots. Could be related to the bearings up top that I didn't replace as well.

The rear end does sit a bit lower not sure if that's how its supposed to be but I'd prefer the rear lifted up a lot more, this way it would be level if I filled it up with crap.
Classically the rear will look lower due to the body lines. I don't see much if any sag in your pics. If you're worried about it, there are some coil spring spacers available that could get you that extra bit of height you desire. I know that IPD has a set of poly ones, but that's for the R line. Our springs may have a larger gap.

Oh and here's a pic of mine with the lift and 28.5" tires (Maxxis AT-771):

·
Registered
5,316 Posts

OBX, CNT, Phuz, RaceS60R, EST, VIVA, IPD, Elevate, BSR... Did I miss anyone? :D Just make sure you purchase a pipe fit for R or AWD models.

Yes. FWD will not work, AWD will.

Thinking about getting General Altimax Arctic 215/70/16 tires for winter, would that size fit on the car as it sits now?

Great tire, unsure on fit.

Anyone have those on their XC?

Myself, I've been considering a Nivomat swap because my XC is usually loaded to the max. The nivos will help to maintain ride height when loaded

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Ooh. Shiny.

Looks great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts