SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This last weekend I picked up a 2005 XC90 2.5t w/ 124k on it. Timing belt etc was done in the last year (I don't have the seller provided receipt with me at the moment). Excellent condition. I was looking for a smallish SUV in the $5-6k range since I am currently 1.5 years away from geaduation. My initial plan was to buy something Japanese as I have been very impressed by my older Lexus (220k miles). The XC will be replacing a 03 Impala that unfortunately had a few fender benders but otherwise was outstanding at 170k miles. Also in the driveway is a 93 olds cutlass with 230k which has a dead battery cause it sits almost all year but runs without issue after a jump.

I intend to push this Volvo to 300k as long as no accidents occur. I don't see why it shouldn't go that far. It was by far the best kept vehicle I saw for anything close to my price range. I was really impressed. Now to keep it that way.

Questions:
-Tires: Right it has some michelin light truck tires in place which arr obnoxiously loud. Half the reason i opted for a suv and a volvo was for road trips. Im willing to put up with the incrases fuel consumption but I have to reduce the road noise. Are there any options for a MUCH quiter tire. I am tempted to use passenger car tirs as there are some I have experience with. They have the same load rating as suv/crossover tires at the same max psi.

-Specific things to check and maintenance to do? I plan on mobil1 every 7.5k miles. I ordered several mann filters as there seemed to be extensive debate without objective findings as to whether they were of inferior quality. My philosophy has been consistent oil changes is really the major factor. I seem to remember reading something about sun-roof drainage but when I was researching the vehicle but I don't remember what exactly. What else?

-I plan on installing after martket bluetooth to the factory radio. I have done this in my other vehicles by splicing in a 3.5mm aux jack and adding a hot line to the fuze box to power a cigarette lighter type bluetooth device. Worked well in those applications.

If you read this far thank you and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I read about the roof drain issue. Is there a consensus as to whether it is better to cut the elbow or run your own hose? Also does this seem to resolve the issue permanently?

·
Registered
74 Posts
A ton of info out there on the XC90 and the 2.5T in general. I'd recommend reading as many relevant posts as possible. Both here and other Volvo forums, look in the S60, S80 and some other models as well, many 2.5Ts over there as well. Search for how to videos on YouTube. The 2.5T engine was Volvo's workhorse for many years across a lot of it's product line. We just purchased an XC90 with a V8. But I have an '04 S80 with the 2.5T sitting in our driveway at 250k miles. Mostly routine maintenance and the odd piece here and there as it aged. Let it go a little bit at the end as we knew we were replacing it and didn't want to put more money into it, needs a couple body panels, timing belt etc. Came close to getting a newer S60, solely because I was so impressed and comfortable with the 2.5T.

Some things to familiarize yourself with & read up on;
-oil selection
-oil change (Volvos are somewhat unique)
-light bulbs
-suspension (especially struts and all the little bits and pieces)
-control arms and bushings
-tires
-motor mounts
-PCV valves
-transmission fluid (type, change yes or no and drain & fill vs flush)
-brakes
-steering
-AC compressor
-electric gremlins
-vida dice
-eBay
-Erie Volvo
-Southern Vovo

There is an overwhelming amount of info out there. Swedespeed is my go to place and spent a ton of time doing research here prior to and since purchasing our last two Volvos (S80 and XC90 both V8s). But lots of how to and what/why info can be found at xcforum, Mathew's Volvo site, YouTube and a few others as well, especially if you want to get your hands dirty.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have an 04 with 148k and have had to do a few things.. Nothing major and if you do the work yourself it's very cheap. I did the front struts, control arms, sway bar links, tie rod end, front wheel bearings, parking shoes, all 4 brakes, top engine mount, bottom front engine/tranny mount.

I still have to do the flame trap.. You'll most likely have to do that too if you haven't already so factor that into your price. Mine already had a timing belt and water pump done as well as a full tune up. But the previous mechanic that worked on a few of the suspension components used really bad parts so I had to replace them all.

Luckily for most of its life it was maintained at volvo. I also flushed the steering fluid, I'm going to drain the tranny fluid next weekend if I have time. I usually pick a part and replace it on he weekends. I've done everything with basic tools nothing special.. Just a little bit of time. I picked up a 12 ton bottle jack at harbor freight since my floor jack couldn't get it off the ground.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts