SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this R 3 weeks ago after selling my modded java black 04 Wrx. I've been pretty into subarus and rally for some time now. I got bored and I'm a little older now with a daughter and decided to try something different. Also wanted something that didn't constantly urge me to go rip through the woods beating the snot out of it. I'm pretty into modding and have done my own stand alone megasquirt on a 2001 RS I swapped. So I'm not new to tuning either. I know from lurking already that this R was Jimmy's old car. I haven't done a whole lot yet aside from running a recirc on the hks. I'm still miffed at why it was ran without it as any maf based car runs like trash without recirc. It was jerky as hell to shift like that. Smooth as butter now. It's got a stage 3 tune still not sure if it's a blanket stage 3 or if it was refined at all. It pulls pretty nice. The car def needs some suspension upgrades. Both strut mounts are shot up front. I like the adjustable factory strut option. I'm wishing but doubting anyone makes a better spring that isn't a lowering spring. The only thing that I may be unhappy with is the "Awd" on these cars. If I can downshift and drag to get sideways in snow I may be quite upset. I have a bad feeling it won't behave that way. I've done some digging and looks like no one has come up with a haldex controller for the R?? That's pretty disappointing. Other than that, I'm pretty in love with the car. It pulls pretty nice, it's sexy, unique, and comfy. It seems extremely well taken care of and aside from the strut tops seems to be issue free. Its got the viva turbo upgrade, dp with 3" exhaust, some air box mod, hd turbo control valve, hks ssqv now recirc'd properly, 31x12x4 fmic with well made custom piping, single mass 850r fly with Sachs clutch, and a stage 3 tune by Eurosport with an isoftloader. I'm thinking I'll do the ipd bars and I need to figure out what avenue I'd like to go with the springs and possibly struts. Haven't decided if I'll keep the 4c dampers or not. So is it true there's no haldex mod available at all? No way to manipulate it? I sure do like to play on snow covered roads up here in the U.P. Anyways. I'm here, may name is Ian, this forum is great and I'm in love with my R and can't wait to mod it a lil more. Heres a couple pics I'm sure are familiar. I haven't taken any more really.

·
Registered
367 Posts
clean car! love the cut out on the bumper! looks mean! Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Dear lord you better keep your seatbelt on, the front bumper support has been removed, that car will be very dangerous in a front end collision...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dear lord you better keep your seatbelt on, the front bumper support has been removed, that car will be very dangerous in a front end collision...
I'm aware the center of it is cut out. I may change that. I see you have a tall fmic on yours. It fits without doing that to it? Any pics with the bumper off? I'm not all up in arms about it so it doesn't need to be discussed too terribly much. To me it's a minor issue that I can remedy. The car is clean as hell and someone else ponied up the cash to mod it so I'm in good shape either way. Unless I hit something tomorrow!!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I'm aware the center of it is cut out. I may change that. I see you have a tall fmic on yours. It fits without doing that to it? Any pics with the bumper off? I'm not all up in arms about it so it doesn't need to be discussed too terribly much. To me it's a minor issue that I can remedy. The car is clean as hell and someone else ponied up the cash to mod it so I'm in good shape either way. Unless I hit something tomorrow!!
You'll have an incredibly hard time making that large of a FMIC fit, the one I use is rated up to 550hp, anything extra and you'll just end up with more turbo lag than anything else.

Here's a pic without the bumper on, you can see that I use the top of the bumper support to hold the FMIC core in place:

It's not a HUGE issue, but personally I wouldn't want to risk it...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks good. It's covered a lot though. I know mine is overkill size wise. I wouldn't have gone this route had I modded it but it's not high on my priority of things to do/change. It's a calculated risk ;) Yours looks good. I did a quick thread search on it after asking for pics. Now, this "Awd".... I'm hosed right? No decel wiggle drift is a pretty upsetting thought to me. Waking up to snow covered roads is supposed to be like Xmas morning. I'm more concerned with that. I'll hit something and trash my unsafe front end if I can't cross this rig up proper!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Yea totally hosed lol no AWD/Haldex modding has been done that I have seen.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea totally hosed lol no AWD/Haldex modding has been done that I have seen.
That's just absurd. Is haldex owned by apple? Here's something sweet in design but limited by software. My rear end needs a jailbreak. Assemble the dream team...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm gonna stuff this interior into an Sti, paint it flash metallic green, and call it a day. I can't believe they gave up/got blocked from continuing the work on the haldex control or whatever happened. I'm sure I'm kicking a very dead horse but it's dumb. No one has even crudely over ridden it? I'm not looking to rally this thing but if it's fwd when you downshift and wiggle then you can't honestly call it all wheel drive. This was the only thing that slipped by me when researching this purchase. I assumed Awd meant Awd. So if you downshift in loose traction situations will the rears drag too or will it push? Does haldex only clamp under acceleration? How exactly does it function?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Haldex has been written and modified in many other cars but for whatever reason, has a hard time doing it to Volvo cars. There is a guy/team in Russia that made a 550hp R and he said they changed the haldex software, not sure how or who did, but that was as far as I've seen. Is your AWD not working at all?

Nice flash, I do remember it on the boards and I remember when he did the cut out on bumper and such.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
welcome to SS.

Does it get hot in your cabin at all?...I was thinking about removing the fire wall heat shield that is pathetically made out of cloth/aluminum combo materials once it starts to disintegrate and use all aluminum shield like 850's used.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I'm not one to say much about things like the modified bumper support, and I know it's not a big deal to you, but if I had a daughter I'd make that a big deal to me. Please be careful out there.

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
wait a minute....aren't you the 2nd "new owner" since the bumper cutout? I seem to remember someone else getting on here all happy about their FG and we reminded them the bumper was trashed.

·
Registered
876 Posts
This is how the S60R behaves in the snow or on ice:

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
I'm not one to say much about things like the modified bumper support, and I know it's not a big deal to you, but if I had a daughter I'd make that a big deal to me. Please be careful out there.
so true...and to those driving Smart cars and new Fiats 500 and good old Yugo's watch out cause this R will still demolish them... :D:D:D

·
Registered
919 Posts
Yeah, with regard to the crash bar, I'd replace it not only for safety but structural rigidity. I'm not sure exactly how much cornering load goes thru the front frame, but currently the only thing you've got handling that load across the top is the radiator support (sheet metal).

So I'd imagine you could get chassis deflection from not having it.

Look up the Bell FMIC kit I bet that would handle that ridiculous core you've got - they modified the bumper cover and fabbed aluminum spacers to push the crash bar further out but keep it fully intact and an integral structural member. Much smarter design.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I'm gonna stuff this interior into an Sti, paint it flash metallic green, and call it a day. I can't believe they gave up/got blocked from continuing the work on the haldex control or whatever happened. I'm sure I'm kicking a very dead horse but it's dumb. No one has even crudely over ridden it? I'm not looking to rally this thing but if it's fwd when you downshift and wiggle then you can't honestly call it all wheel drive. This was the only thing that slipped by me when researching this purchase. I assumed Awd meant Awd. So if you downshift in loose traction situations will the rears drag too or will it push? Does haldex only clamp under acceleration? How exactly does it function?
Not sure what you mean by "downshift and wiggle"? If you downshift without heel-toeing and slam that extra load on the driveline it will go to the front wheels only. However the ABS/EBD is so good you won't get a lockup or anything like that, it really doesn't unsettle the car at all. Check out my track-day videos, I'm not H/T at all but I can still go from 120-50MPH at 1G decel without chirping the tires on downshift.

Getting technical, the Haldex will disengage anytime you touch the brake pedal OR the parking brake. So you can do hand-brake induced drifts perfectly even staying on the throttle the whole time. If you downshift OFF the brakes, then it's anybody's guess what the Haldex is doing. If you want to drag all four wheels though you should just use the brake and learn to heel-toe, it's really easy in these cars.

The Haldex will engage whenever slip is detected but it will also engage in anticipation depending on throttle position, speed, etc... I once launched hard on a parking lot with my front tires on glaze ice and the rears on dry pavement and the car shot off the line with ZERO wheel spin (until all four tires were on the ice, of course, rather quickly!)

Also, check out the SNOW FUN video in my sig. I've gone ice racing with the Audi club against Audis, STIs, Evos, etc... the R can hold it's own just fine given equal tires, driver skill, etc...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Not sure what you mean by "downshift and wiggle"? If you downshift without heel-toeing and slam that extra load on the driveline it will go to the front wheels only. However the ABS/EBD is so good you won't get a lockup or anything like that, it really doesn't unsettle the car at all. Check out my track-day videos, I'm not H/T at all but I can still go from 120-50MPH at 1G decel without chirping the tires on downshift.

Getting technical, the Haldex will disengage anytime you touch the brake pedal OR the parking brake. So you can do hand-brake induced drifts perfectly even staying on the throttle the whole time. If you downshift OFF the brakes, then it's anybody's guess what the Haldex is doing. If you want to drag all four wheels though you should just use the brake and learn to heel-toe, it's really easy in these cars.

The Haldex will engage whenever slip is detected but it will also engage in anticipation depending on throttle position, speed, etc... I once launched hard on a parking lot with my front tires on glaze ice and the rears on dry pavement and the car shot off the line with ZERO wheel spin (until all four tires were on the ice, of course, rather quickly!)

Also, check out the SNOW FUN video in my sig. I've gone ice racing with the Audi club against Audis, STIs, Evos, etc... the R can hold it's own just fine given equal tires, driver skill, etc...
All of that makes sense on the hand brake option. And to whoever asked the awd works as it was designed. I just wish there was a software mod for it. So guys please elaborate how this car has been "trashed" on this forum? Just because of the beam? It's replaceable and I plan to do so eventually. Is there something else known to be wrong with it? Just want to know history. It seems to have been extremely well taken care of. The coupler was replaced pretty recently by a shop and under warranty. The previous owner had it for a year ish. Before that it was jimmy, as I gather. I'm not here to get panties in a bunch. I'm here because I'm into modding myself extensively and am excited about this new purchase. It's out of my realm but certainly not my grasp.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts