SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! I just bought this 2006 Sonic VR off of Craigslist. The previous owner had it since early 2007/8K so it is basically a one-owner car. This is the 3rd 2006 VR that I have owned (long story and all bought in the month of October). I was not really in the market for another car but when it popped up on Craigslist 18mi. from my house I had to at least go look at it! I purposely left the cash at home, but that didn't work!

This car has 109K miles. It was originally purchased at Volvo of Tacoma,WA and traded in and re-sold at the same dealership. Luckily I got a nice stack of maintenance records with it and all of the service was done at the same dealership including the fresh 105K service done at 104K to the tune of $1800 including the timing belt!

The previous owner was not an enthusiast type and really did not know what it was that he was driving all of these years. He tried to feed me a lot of misinformation, not that he was lying, just misinformed. Wisely, I just held my tongue.... I wanted to buy the car not belittle the guy! I had him take us for a test drive with him behind the wheel. I wanted to see his driving style and get him to "show us how fast it was." I could instantly tell that this car had never been abused or driven hard, just treated as a daily driver/commuter 60mi. round trip to the hospital where he works.

The story goes that he bought a new Prius plug-in hybrid this past January and hoped to keep the R as he really loved this car. But with the new Prius taking the VR's spot in the garage, it became an eyesore: a seldom-driven, northwest slimy green stuff-collector in the the driveway of a ritzy neighborhood. Long story short, the wife said it had to go! He actually was choking up when it sunk in as he handed over the keys - and his wife didn't help teasing him about his tear-filled eyes.

I have to admit, I never really liked Sonic blue and it was always my last choice of the R colors... This was the first one that I had seen in person and right when we drove up to meet the guy, my wife and I both commented to each other how much we REALLY liked the color!

My plan with this car is to just treat it as a project so this thread will eventually become a "build thread." I have a huge laundry list of updates, maintenance and tasteful mods!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Congrats! MT or GT? Post some pix us or...we'll say it's actually a Camry...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GT with Gobi(going bye bye soon)

The picture should be working now, this is from the day that I brought it home, pre-detail.. more pictures to come!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Awesome! Welcome! Even though I have an SR, I do love the wagons too. SS is a really a "gold mine" of information about these caRs. :p

·
Registered
14,016 Posts
He should have sold the wife instead!

Seriously, a Prius over a VR?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
He should have sold the wife instead!

Seriously, a Prius over a VR?
LOL

And poor guy, can't believe he had tears in his eyes as he was giving you the keys! Gorgeous car. I love Sonic blue, but then I'm biased as its the color of my SR. :)

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
a sonic VR :thumbup::thumbup::beer::thumbup::thumbup: nice find my friend.

I got my SR from an older gent who bought it from the dealer and took it there for service up till it was sold at 55K so I had all service records.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanx for all of the support!

I didn't think that he has that sort of attachment and I was surprised when it came down the the final exchange as we we doing the paperwork. I think it just finally sunk in with him. His wife was pretty harsh about it.

It is cool to get a car from the long time or original owner. I have already emailed him a few times with service questions which is something you never get when buying a used car from a dealer. I do however wish that he would have taken a little better care of it, the underside has obviously been drug over some speed bumps, wheels are all pretty well curbed up and the front bumper will be getting replaced due to parking curb abuse! Luckily the body and interior are really nice, very few blemishes.

I really want to just start ordering like 10K in parts! but I have to pace myself....

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
GT with Gobi(going bye bye soon)

The picture should be working now, this is from the day that I brought it home, pre-detail.. more pictures to come!
But that's the best color combo. Hope you don't ruin it with nordcrap.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
But that's the best color combo. Hope you don't ruin it with nordcrap.
ugh, your dead to me! :D nordkap is such a sweet color, just don't ruin it with October Pumpkin Gut Atacama :D

·
Registered
974 Posts
Custom interior? I'm excited to see this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
What a story! I'd rather ride my bicycle than trade my wagon, even my non-R wagon, for a Prius. You've renewed my appreciation for my wife who has no complaints about my keeping two wagons that mostly sit around. (My DD is a K3500.) Congrats on your great find! Any bets on who did most of the curbing?

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Gobi - yummy but not with Sonic.

Are you going to use Bridge of Weir (std R leather) or Poltrona Frau leather?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Nice

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
NICE goldstandard looks great!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Ha ha! You're both wrong, we're doing a custom leather interior- think Ferrari... you gonna have to wait and see!
I can get on board with this. Are you doing Evolve's custom set or actual custom?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts