SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New '19 S60 owner here. I finally figured out the confusing (at least for me) data connectivity options for my car.

Question: after the complimentary data connection expires, what have you all done for connectivity? Has anyone bought a data plan from AT&T or does everyone just get connectivity from their phones? If anyone has done the former, what's the cost per month (avg)?

Also, if I use my phone, does RTTA traffic use a lot of data in the nav app?

thx! Love this forum, btw. very informative!

Jeff B.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I added the data plan to my existing AT&T account. It was a little convoluted, because I had to sign up via the att Volvo link and then call att to add it to my account. Odd.

But to answer your question, it’s $20 for “unlimited” data. (Unlimited because everyone know AT&T throttles connections, but we don’t use enough data in the car for that to happen... yet.) Bottom line is $23.49 after regulatory fees and bull****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I just use carplay for everything

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Most folks just use their phone. Your sales team might have not mentioned (there is an awful lot to go over if you tried to go over everything), but even after your data period ends you still get enough free data to support things like traffic and the weather app. You really only need the data if you are streaming music, and there most folks just use carplay/android auto.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
I don't think so. I know the car has to have the modem turned off when you first pair the car with On Call. When I'm delivering the cars I try to install all the apps, then turn the modem off before the customer comes in. Then I get their Bluetooth and on call set up and then turn the modem back on. However, when I first started with Volvo in May of last year I didn't know to turn the modem back on, and no one ever had on call issues.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I don’t use a data plan and still get Spotify, weather, VOC, etc. I mostly use CarPlay as has been mentioned

·
Registered
512 Posts
I get Spotify via Sensus, but not TuneIn nor Pandora.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
512 Posts
Interesting,
Doesn’t work at all for me without a data plan. Keeps cutting off/ connecting

If you turn on your mobile hotspot and connect your Sensus to your hotspot, can you stream Spotify and TuneIn?

·
Registered
895 Posts
If you turn on your mobile hotspot and connect your Sensus to your hotspot, can you stream Spotify and TuneIn?

I’ve never tried that honestly i got a separate data plan for the vehicle.

I will have to check and comeback to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an unlimited data plan from Verizon. I set up the Bluetooth data link in Sensi’s and the phone automatically connects and the Sensus Spotify starts up in about a minute. So far it’s worked to perfection.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most folks just use their phone. Your sales team might have not mentioned (there is an awful lot to go over if you tried to go over everything), but even after your data period ends you still get enough free data to support things like traffic and the weather app. You really only need the data if you are streaming music, and there most folks just use carplay/android auto.
I use Android Auto for most everything, but i'm mainly interested in using RTTA traffic and the sensus Nav app, simply because the size of the Android Auto display within the sensus vertical screen is pretty small (maybe the one thing i'm really disappointed at regarding this car). I'd love to use the built in Nav and expand to full screen, but concerned 1) that the RTTA traffic may not be nearly as good as Waze's traffic, and 2) that i would have to buy a data plan to have the RTTA traffic work. Has anyone done this comparison and if so, which nav (sensus w/RTTA vs. Android Auto Waze) is best?

Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I use my T-Mobile phone (with unlimited data plan) hotspot. After that I listen to Spotify, TuneIn and get RTTI data (in Sensus). I primarily use Sensus and rarely Apple CarPlay. I didn't have problem with that setup.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
You get Spotify via CarPlay or sensus ?

I get Spotify from both sensus and CarPlay without a data plan. If I leave my phone at home I use Sensus/ATT, with my phone I usually use CarPlay/sprint. I personally gained nothing except the ability to tether to my laptop when I paid for an ATT subscription. I can also tether from my phone but rarely need to anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
895 Posts
I get Spotify from both sensus and CarPlay without a data plan. If I leave my phone at home I use Sensus/ATT, with my phone I usually use CarPlay/sprint. I personally gained nothing except the ability to tether to my laptop when I paid for an ATT subscription but I can also tether from my phone but rarely need to anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I use Bluetooth tethering with my phone. High bandwidth for Spotify and anything else as long as the signal is strong.

VOC does use the internal modem whether you pay for a data plan or not. It's how you can perform a remote start from the app no matter where you are in relation to the car. A signal gets sent over the internet. The car's electronics are basically in sleep mode when it's off and listening for that start signal. It's also how the car knows where it is and reports that back to the VOC app, GPS is active on the internal modem.

The SPA models are all dual battery, that secondary battery is specifically for keeping some electronics alive while the car isn't running. In fact, sometimes the Volvo app will warn you that the aux battery is low.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Previously, we tethered our iPod Touch or iPad Mini to V60 modem via Bluetooth and could reliably stream our Spotify account through the car’s infotainment system. However, on a recent road trip to So. Calif., we could only get sporadic connectivity, as the car kept flashing up a “communications error...” message, which required going through the entire connection sequence each time we lost Spotify. Finally gave up, as repeated attempts to reconnect failed. Guess we need to go the hotspot route, which never fails.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts