SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2019 S60 R-Design, and I'm wondering what you guys are doing for an internet connection in the car? Are you using the Wifi connection, or the Bluetooth connection, and are you connecting every time you get in the car?

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I only use SIM card when needed for long trip. In town I don't have much time to change music etc.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
972 Posts
I set it up for bluetooth hotspot on my iphone, and it connects automatically every time I get in the car. Useful as I like to keep the "weather" app on the main screen which relies on a data connection.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I set it up for bluetooth hotspot on my iphone, and it connects automatically every time I get in the car. Useful as I like to keep the "weather" app on the main screen which relies on a data connection.
That's the way I have it set up too, but my Samsung S8 doesn't seem to connect automatically. I have to keep manually connecting.

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
I just bought a 2019 S60 R-Design, and I'm wondering what you guys are doing for an internet connection in the car? Are you using the Wifi connection, or the Bluetooth connection, and are you connecting every time you get in the car?
Using my mobile hotspot and setting vehicle to Wifi. I did use the AT&T for a few years. It's "OK". More convenient, but it was $20 / month and 3g (15.5 S60). The connection was fine for the most part. But since my phone plan includes unlimited 3g hotspot now, I didn't feel the need to be paying twice.

I believe the 2019's probably use 4g LTE now???

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Using my mobile hotspot and setting vehicle to Wifi. I did use the AT&T for a few years. It's "OK". More convenient, but it was $20 / month and 3g (15.5 S60). The connection was fine for the most part. But since my phone plan includes unlimited 3g hotspot now, I didn't feel the need to be paying twice.

I believe the 2019's probably use 4g LTE now???
Can the SIM in the ATT compatible modem in the S60 be exchanged with one from another service?
I'm thinking specifically of one from a Tracfone "Bring Your Own Phone" SIM kit.
They are only about $8 a month on a 1 yr prepaid plan (even less if you go for two years).

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Yes, it can use SIM from a GSM carrier.
But the tracphone yearly 125 plan only gives you 1.5GB data for entire year, not every month. Not a good plan at all.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Yes, it can use SIM from a GSM carrier.
But the tracphone yearly 125 plan only gives you 1.5GB data for entire year, not every month. Not a good plan at all.
True about the data limit. But having the SIM in there with the prepaid plan would provide backup phone service if you didn't happen to have your phone in your pocket.

Can the car modem also connect to WiFi if it's in range?

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
...I believe the 2019's probably use 4g LTE now???
Is that true? And is that for local connections inside the car -- or can the car also connect to an external WiFi network in range?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts