SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have searched the forum and looked at a bunch of threads around vibrations but haven't found one that is similar to the one I am experiencing.

So I have ran into balancing issues after getting new tires and all, all of that is now resolved (they replaced the axles, dealer replaced with new tires, drive shaft, and center flange if anyone is running into issue on constant vibrations at hwy speed, as well has road force balance). However, I have run in to this issue since the beginning of summer. I live in Atlanta, GA and have to drive to work about 30 miles each way. My morning drive goes without a hitch, I start at Hwy speeds, between 75-80MPH till I hit a wall of traffic for about 30 minutes or so, but never go back to normal hwy speeds. But on my way back home, I start off again at hwy speeds and bit a block of traffic for about 15 minutes where it is stop and go and resume back to hwy speeds 75-80MPH. After I resume driving at HWY speeds, I get this terrible & intense vibration after 60mph, almost like if the balancing is totally off. To add to it, if i brake during this time, the whole car shakes as if you had a flat tire as well as the road noise sounds like you're sitting in an airplane seat next to the engine at take off. The crazy part is if I slow down back to 60MPH or below for about 10-15 secs and resume driving at 75-80MPH, the issue goes away. I experienced this once last year, during the summer (was working from home most of the time so didn't run into the issue after that) and hadn't run into this till the start of summer this year since i have been going to the office on a regular basis. I run into this issue about 3-4 times a week. But once I slow down or take an exit, the issue goes away. Has anyone run into this?

I have taken the car to the dealership to have them investigate, they have replaced the rotors, brake pads, etc... but the issue keeps coming back. During the winter, I didn't hit this issue. So I am not sure if it is temp is a factor.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I’m sure they had checked under the car during the investigation but it is worth double checking thins like control arm bushings. Had something similar in my BMW and took them 3 visits to see the cracks. Lower temps had the rubber stiffen up so it wasn’t noticeable as much at lower temps. Just an idea.
Also check this chart if anything looks like it could be similar. And if you can try to record the sound next time you drive and post link on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m sure they had checked under the car during the investigation but it is worth double checking thins like control arm bushings. Had something similar in my BMW and took them 3 visits to see the cracks. Lower temps had the rubber stiffen up so it wasn’t noticeable as much at lower temps. Just an idea.
Also check this chart if anything looks like it could be similar. And if you can try to record the sound next time you drive and post link on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@rkohou, Thanks for the detail chart and the suggestion. I will pass it on to my dealership.

Last year, I noticed the issue for the first time after I had taken my car in for its 30K service, but as I mentioned, it only happened once. Then in Nov, I got my tires replaced and as part of it got balancing and alignment. Then started to get a constant vibration towards early May and the issue i mentioned about happened twice. So I took the car in to the dealership, and they mentioned that the balancing was off, so the rebalanced and road forced balance. In addition replaced the front rotors as they were warped under warranty. Got the car back, but nothing had chanced. So I took it back and they replaced the front axles. Got the car back, while the constant vibration improved just a little, it was still there, so I took it back. The car was at the shop for two weeks while they tried to diagnose the issue. So the put the car on the life and spun the tires and noticed flat spots. So they replaced the tires. The manager said the vibration improved, but still was not satisfied with the results. So they started diagnosing the issue and got the Volvo rep there to take a look. They took the drive shaft out and said that the vibration had improved, so they replaced the drive shaft and the center flange. Got the car back this past Friday. The car drives beautifully now except for this one issue. That issue happened only after I ran into city stop and go traffic that lasted about 10 minutes and resumed back to normal hwy speeds. When I got the car back to 60MPH, the vibration stopped. Then i accelerated back to 70-80MPH to see if the issue started again, but it didn't.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Since you hit it above 60mph, try drive with manual gear selection and drive at gear 7 or 8 on freeway while it happens or see if it happens.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since you hit it above 60mph, try drive with manual gear selection and drive at gear 7 or 8 on freeway while it happens or see if it happens.
I tried that yesterday, turned off lane assistance, changed drive modes and flipped it to manual and down shifted and up shifted. Nothing helped until I dropped by speed to 60 MPH. One thing I didn't turn off was traction control, but that is the only thing that was essentially enabled while the issue was occuring.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What make and model tires do you have?
My car originally had the factory Continentals, but got them replaced with Michelin Defender LTX and the dealership switched then to Michelin Latitude Tour. The issue happened once last year on the stock tires, as well as the other two.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts